• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

James Lowe to Leinster

That's what happens when you keep selecting someone like Savea, who has been out of form for a while, instead of bringing new players through the ranks. If someone has an off year that's fine, but Lowe has been outperforming Savea at Super level for a number of years.

Had a word with all the boys at training today about this boy. I think he'll be the best player to never to get a cap. I've watched him last year. Top quality player and good coup for Leinster. Wouldn't worry if I was a kiwi, they produce depth out the ears, but I think he would have earned caps for you before long. He should have been kept for you boys. On our shores, not to poke fun in any way but I feel we have some big NZ mistakes on your part like Rhys Marshall, Jake Heenan, Bundee Aki, our boy Bleyndaal and now Lowe who were allowed to leave. I hope none play for Ireland, but we've really recruited smart on these boys. That's the natural fault of the All Black system. So many quality players, but at the end of the day only 23 squad places, and these guy all want a shot at the international game, so who could blame them.

I hate it when people talk about allowed to leave, it implies a deliberate error that's not true. Once a contract is up there's nothing a club can do but offer a new one and all clubs have financial limitations.

...Big loss for the Mighty Chiefs, Tasman and the Maori ABs...but self interests aside i will be happier to see him play for a good club in Ireland as opposed to a French one...could even see him in the Emerald Isle jersey after 3 years it's been suggested...i hope he goes all the way and the quality of the Pro 12 Irish comp has just gone up exponentially with his signing imho...

...."An ongoing battle with rheumatoid arthritis, and the sight of careers ended by head knocks, played a part in James Lowe's decision to seek his rugby fortune overseas.

Lowe is one of New Zealand's premier wings, is in the form of his life with the Chiefs and at 24 hopes he's still got a long career ahead.

But the mere hope of an All Blacks jersey is no longer enough to keep the modern young rugby professional in New Zealand.

Not when they've seen what James Lowe has.

He also lives with an arthritic condition that is a daily reminder of the fragility of the human body, and has seen two Super Rugby team-mates literally knocked out of the game, and another left on the ropes as he waits to see whether he'll ever get the chance to add to his lone test in the black jersey.

Really, it's little wonder that Lowe has sidestepped a "heavy heart" to jump at a big-money offer from Irish club Leinster to join them at season-end on a three-year deal.

"It's a scary prospect thinking it could all be over very quickly, especially with my arthritis. And I keep on breaking as it is anyway, " said Lowe on Tuesday from his home in Nelson as he discussed his decision to leave New Zealand rugby.

"It was an awesome opportunity that came up, and hopefully if I'm smart enough I'll be able set myself up."

Lowe is into his fourth season with the Chiefs and has started the current campaign in blistering form, scoring three tries in back-to-back victories.

The proud Tasman and New Zealand Maori representative was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis as a teenager, a condition that left him bedridden and in agony. But with some fierce determination, and the aid of modern medicine, he has fought through to forge a standout career.

"It's something I live with," explained Lowe. "It takes me a wee bit longer to recover from such a physical sport, but I'm still able to perform, to train and get through absolutely everything. As long as my body holds up I'll keep playing rugby."

Ad Feedback

But Lowe conceded some glaring reminders close to home reinforced how short the modern career can be.

It had played a part in his decision to take an offer from Leinster that was significantly better than what was on the table for him to stay.

"It's a reality check, seeing now the effects of what a high contact sport can do. When I first got to the Chiefs was when Ben Afeaki had to retire which put things into perspective. And what Charlie [Ngatai] is going through at the moment, and Sean Polwart just had to retire. I remember the day he got that head knock, at training with the Chiefs. It's a scary thought."

Ngatai was in outstanding form for the Chiefs when a head knock sustained in May last year left him experiencing ongoing symptoms. The one-test All Black has not played since, with a cloud of uncertainty over whether he will make it back on the field this year.

Lowe admitted it had been a hard call to turn his back on his All Black dream, but confirmed the national coaches had not exactly been banging his door down.

"There's dialogue that's always happening between the All Blacks setup and the Chiefs coaches, and there was talk between the two," he said when asked if he'd had any indication he was close to a national callup. Previously he'd been informed "there were a few things I still need to work on".

The reality is he was stuck behind Julian Savea and Waisake Naholo, and utilities Nehe Milner-Skudder and Israel Dagg in the national pecking order. Possibly others too.

"You look at the amount of talent in New Zealand, and those settled All Blacks, with them re-signing Izzy (Dagg) and Bender (Ben Smith), and they've got Jules, Waisake, Rieko [Ionae], Damian [McKenzie], Melani [Nanai] ... the list goes on. It was a tough decision but I'm happy with where my head's at."

He says he's heard nothing but positive things about Leinster, that he would be doing it tough moving so far away from his family in Nelson and that he wouldn't rule out returning to New Zealand to continue his career.

He also left hanging the possibility of switching nationalities at the end of his three-year tenure (he is not captured by New Zealand). "I haven't even played for Leinster yet, so one step at a time," he said.

Meantime? Well, let's say he has a small but significant list of goals to tick off.

"I'd love to see Tassie win the Ranfurly Shield, the Chiefs win the Super ***le, and Tasman the provincial championship. That's the best-case scenario, but as long as I get through the season fully fit I'm happy with what I've done here."

- Stuff

Getting sick of reading our players going off shore. James Lowe has arthritis though, so it's a smart move for him. But it's going to become harder to measure our talent for the All Blacks, I was always a big fan of measuring against one another to find the best and we're no longer getting quality development and games out of the Super Rugby. It's a shame to see the back of so many talented players..

The NZRU need to be prepared in the future to start looking at overseas selection, our stocks are deep, but not bottomless. We need a better competition than the Super Rugby as well..

Last edited:
Had a word with all the boys at training today about this boy. I think he'll be the best player to never to get a cap. I've watched him last year. Top quality player and good coup for Leinster. Wouldn't worry if I was a kiwi, they produce depth out the ears, but I think he would have earned caps for you before long. He should have been kept for you boys. On our shores, not to poke fun in any way but I feel we have some big NZ mistakes on your part like Rhys Marshall, Jake Heenan, Bundee Aki, our boy Bleyndaal and now Lowe who were allowed to leave. I hope none play for Ireland, but we've really recruited smart on these boys. That's the natural fault of the All Black system. So many quality players, but at the end of the day only 23 squad places, and these guy all want a shot at the international game, so who could blame them.

Aki may have got a handful of caps with NZ, the rest named wouldn't have made the squad, Bleyendaal likely won't start a game against tier 1 opposition for Ireland, Aki has his work cut out to start and the rest need big improvement to make a squad. They'd be briefly blocking younger talent at best back in NZ.

Delighted with Lowe though, looks a good replacement for Isa when he hangs up the boots next year.

On Tyler he's been invited on the Summer tour. Not IQ until January but has been asked to tour to Japan I suppose to get a view and see how it all works.

I understand he has to put his future first. With his arthritis issues, Lowe might not be able to look forward to a long career in the game, so it best for him to make some money while he can to secure his future. Also, he will know that he is at least a couple "other player injuries" away from All Black selection, but I am still gutted by this news. He is a key part of the Tasman team, in a competition that is more important to me than Super Rugby - I might be a Crusaders supporter, but I am a Tasman supporter first.

As a side note, it really is time that the NZRU resurrected the New Zealand "A" team for a regular series with Australia "A" or matches against teams from the Pacific Islands so that we can keep fringe player like Lowe the frame and capture their eligibility to prevent them turning out for the opposition.

Last edited:
How bad is his arthritis? That issue in Irish weather could effect him. I know NZ weather not hugely different but there is a difference regarding dampness in the air.

A sad loss for my 2 favourite NZ teams, the Chiefs & the Makos, I get it though, they are professionals and just like anyone else, if another employer offers you such a good deal of course you need to consider it very seriously - all the more so for sports people that have such a short working life.

With the depth NZ has I dont see anything wrong with your approach to players who leave to play overseas, in Oz we dont have that luxury. I am sure the AB's will still run out a decent couple of wingers come Bledisloe time!

This signing explains why Super Rugby has to chase TV money with its format. Losing what sounds like a very good talent at a prime age to a comp in Europe that also has minimal TV money. You don't stand a chance if the big boys from France and England get out their chequebooks and I think Cruden, possibly the second best fly half in the world, was close to leaving in the off season.

I wonder if Dave Rennie will line up any similar transfers when he leave so the Chiefs even though Glasgow are far poorer than Leinster.

The only hope is a swift change to the residency rules as it is hard to think this was not the key factor and that Lowe couldn't have got a bigger pay day in another league. I hope his body holds up but I'd imagine Ireland is the last place good for arthritis.

A sad loss for my 2 favourite NZ teams, the Chiefs & the Makos, I get it though, they are professionals and just like anyone else, if another employer offers you such a good deal of course you need to consider it very seriously - all the more so for sports people that have such a short working life.

With the depth NZ has I dont see anything wrong with your approach to players who leave to play overseas, in Oz we dont have that luxury. I am sure the AB's will still run out a decent couple of wingers come Bledisloe time!

Yeah we keep seeming to bang on about depth. I'm not a fan of that. We're letting too many world class players leave our shores. Our depth isn't as deep as you think, especially in the forwards. We shouldn't keep using that as a comfort to fall back on when a good player leaves.

Our front row is well down the world rankings and our loose forwards are a worry, I don't think anyone here could tell you who our #1 blindside will be at the next RWC, probably we will have to ask Kaino to hang on. We've got a lot of decent forwards, but not world beaters coming through, apart from A.Savea, but his size has been noted as a concern.

Centre was a huge concern as well, but fortunately ALB and R.Ioane and appeared

Cruden leaving is a massive blow. There goes our depth at 1st 5. Sopoaga is decent, but very patchy currently and not world class, an injury to Barrett and we'll be up **** creek. West and Mo'unga are competent, but not International fly halfs.

McKenzie hopefully can fill a role here and develop.

I'd like to see some talk about making more of an effort to tie down our younger talents, Piutau was a blow and I can see more poachers coming in for guys shortly.

It's a NH conspiracy to derail the Black machine.

the more you think about it the more the reality sets in that Losing Cruden is going to leave a whole in the NZ game. Yes Barrett had an outstanding game last year but continued success is all about depth and competition. very rarely has a bad game at any level. He sets a great example to other players in both being relaxed and professional at the same time, even if he is not starting you can tell he genuinely contributes to the performance of the team.

McKenzie has huge shoes to fill at all levels.

I hope the NZ public gets behind McKenzie. There is this ongoing theme in NZ around the attitude of the public outside the chiefs region towards chiefs players. Certain players anything good they do is ignored and when they make a mistake the public is all over them. The perfect example is Stephen Donald. But others are subject to the same treatment, Like Liam Messam, Kahui got the same treatment early on, hika Elliot, Brendon Leonard... I can see the same thing happening with McKenzie. For a 20 year old coming into super rugby having to skip an apprenticeship and go straight into being a key member of the starting lineup because of injuries to other squad members... he has had a phenomenal couple of years. resulting in a pretty solid start to his test career. Yet the public are already at him like those previously mentioned.

Seems pretty clear now that he will take over Crudens role at the Cheifs and the All Blacks as well and I think he deserves a fair shake at it.

If McKenzie switches to 10 and provides back up for Barrett, who becomes the proven talent to take over at fullback from Ben Smith? NMS and hope he stops getting injured? A young Jordi Barrett?

If McKenzie switches to 10 and provides back up for Barrett, who becomes the proven talent to take over at fullback from Ben Smith? NMS and hope he stops getting injured? A young Jordi Barrett?

We've still got Israel Dagg who is only 28.

Sopoaga will be back up for Barrett and McKenzie filling the more versatile utility role, similar to Barretts earlier role.

Jordie Barrett looks really promising as well.

Shaun Stevenson will be ready in a few years. Jordie Barrett is sensational as well, but I'm not sure his future is at fullback.

yip, for me Jordie Barrett should be groomed to take over at 15 and be Ben Smiths apprentice. The guy has phenomenal skills and that height, without knowing how we can fit everyone in I think he has to be an all black this year. He's just getting better and better. The skills and height he has would be much more valuable at fullback.

For sure Shaun Stevenson is another contender. has some good skills and has been particularly good at coming up fast into the attack when a turnover has been won.

IMO NMS may do a good job at 15 for the canes but I don't see him as a good option there for the All Blacks. I'd rather see him focus on that right wing spot. Seems like between him and Dagg one of them is going to be injured! Naholo has had a bad run as well.

I think we do need McKenzie playing 10 that is where he has the most potential. But he has developed so well at 15. This year in particular, he seems to be on the spot every time positionally, hes making important tackles and his commitment under the high ball is right up there with Ben Smith. One of my gripes with Dagg is that he will sometimes stay back and wait on a ball that Ben Smith will always attack. Mckenzie is attacking those balls as well and thats how it needs to be. The team need to know if a ball goes up that their 15 will attack it every time. its far better to attack it and make a mistake than to stand back and watch.

Latest posts