Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
so...announced today...a bit gutted but cant argue...or can you

Raises the question, next time the AB's coach is picked, are they more likely to pick the current super rugby camp (assuming he can do it again) or a national coach.

although coaching japan is similar in regards to compiling a team with short preparation time...in general i would say super rugby is closer to coaching the AB's than coaching japan

thoughts?

l i would say super rugby is closer to coaching the AB's than coaching japan

thoughts?
Great question. I feel money would of had little to do with him going, just saying. To your question though, i think your right strategically not neccessaraliy performance wise. For instance, now jamie has gone he will be tied into a WC to WC contract, in other words a four year contract. Where as say, just throwing it out there ;), Dave Rennie would be more in contention as his "tournament" is year to year, ie super rugby.
I'm not sure if i've worded that well, but i trust you get my meaning.

This is a very shrewd appointment. Good on Japan. Hope Jamie does well.

Not too gutted about this. People will jump down my throat for saying it - but I feel he is overrated. Yes I know the Highlanders won SR - but they also lost 50% of their matches under JJs tenure. Yes he recruited guys like Sopoaga, Fekitoa and Naholo - but he also has recruited some real no shots during his time. Maybe they win this season and I'm left looking stupid, but I like SR to be used as a spot for looking at potential AB coaches, and I would not want that to be JJ. Japan could do worse however, and he certainly has shown that even while at the Highlanders he has an afinity for the Japanese leagues.

Wonder who will take over for the Highlanders. I like Tony Brown but not sure I want him as a head coach just yet. The Tasman staff are excellent, but I think they're taken. Scott Robertson has looked good as well. A few too many recent former players for my liking. Would prefer we get a coach back from overseas. Rob Penney would be my pick.

Edit:

Actually Robbie Deans would be amazing for either of the Highlanders or the Crusaders. He's just won his third Japan league ***le in a row.

Last edited:
i tend to agree, especially as they still have largely the same squad so they can and should be evolving rather than whole sale changes

Latest posts