• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

January 2006

yeah that is a bad point - still a classic game though in my opinion and the only game thus far which camme close to jlr.

The best rugby game i've played in my opinion - classic (I haven't played JLR - before my time, sort of). I can remember saying how realistic the graphics where then and for that age they where great, but now it is the pure game i value. Unfortunately my disc can't be read anymore, for one reason or another. I can't believe it!

Do yourself a favour Jacko and find a copy of Jonah Lomu Rugby - I'll send you my PS copy if you want and if you promise to send it back after you have played it for a while - trust me you don't know what you are missing and it is interesting when you compare some of the more modern rugby games developed on better consoles and with bigger budgets.

It is a shame that EA ddin't take JL Rugby as a benchmark and develop it from there. There isn't ny reason to re-invent the wheel, right?

JLR did so many things well:

- Fast pick up and play action.

- Great conversion and kicking system.

- Superb and logical rucking system (scrums were awful though).

- I loved the lineouts (they still get me wet just thinking about them).

- The in game kicking was also superb - I loved putting in up 'n unders.

- and the list goes on...

It was a shame that none of the recent rugby games were able to build upon this framework.

Originally posted by ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT@Dec 18 2005, 08:27 AM
Cap, the reason most games probably have a generic pair of socks for the baabaas is because of memory space..or lack of.
I don't think that the Barbarians not wearing their team socks comes down to an issue of lack of memory space but rather an issue of the programmers not bothering to include due to 1. not caring and/or 2. not having the time.

I think that it isn't really important - obviously it would be niice but I am not going to lose any sleep over it.

NB: Everyone - notice how I spelt "lose"! I opted to go for the correct spelling rather than spelling it "loose".

Originally posted by BigTen@Dec 20 2005, 02:23 PM
Do yourself a favour Jacko and find a copy of Jonah Lomu Rugby - I'll send you my PS copy if you want and if you promise to send it back after you have played it for a while - trust me you don't know what you are missing and it is interesting when you compare some of the more modern rugby games developed on better consoles and with bigger budgets.

It is a shame that EA ddin't take JL Rugby as a benchmark and develop it from there. There isn't ny reason to re-invent the wheel, right?

- Fast pick up and play action.

- I loved the lineouts (they still get me wet just thinking about them).

- The in game kicking was also superb - I loved putting in up 'n unders.

- and the list goes on...

It was a shame that none of the recent rugby games were able to build upon this framework.
yeah Jacko, BigTens advice should NOT be ignored

Its still the king, and the only game to give me bloodblisters...albiet that was prolly the early design of the controllers, with soft analogue sticks, but still, my 1st all nighter on a game too.
I saw the sunset, and the sunrise, and my ass didnt move.......my ps1 was a heater by the morning, and i was soo tired, mum thought i had drugs, but i was only 16, and to an extent JLR was a drug in itself
<

Originally posted by BigTen@Dec 20 2005, 01:23 PM

Both those aspects were far from superb in my opinion... Rucking was ok, but logical? And the conversion kicking system is at the bottom of the pile when compared to most rugby games out there.

Seriously, JLR was good for the time, but I borrowed it off a mate of mine a year ago and I found it pretty ordinary...

The best thing about the rucking system was that you could run any player into it, not just the forwards as it seems to be in this day and age. Also, the fact that you could manually run a player into a ruck, and sprint him in for extra effect.

It's been a while since I played it now, as I traded it in for something else years and years ago.

I saw it at EB Games the a few months ago with the two for fifty sale thing. It came in a two in one with Shane Warne Cricket. Unfortunately I decided against getting it. Oh well I will find a copy of JLR one day... preferably PS1.

The latest release date (according to Play and Amazon) is 27 January. When is a date likely to be set in stone?

Its just been changed to 27th January 2005
<

However, if a few are getting the 27th January, this could be a release date.

my guess is that theyll want to get this game out as early as possible in the new year to try and get the upper hand on ea.

as the game is finished, they have a very good chance to beat EA to the shelf

Chances are EA's date will go backwards and be delayed as its still in development (as far as i know)

Rugby 2004 was delayed by 2 months
Rugby2005 was delayed by a few weeks max

So EA are getting better with Rugby schedule, but have failed everytime to beat the Super12/14 kick-off date.

RC2006 can beat the Super12/14 kick-off, but the onus is on them to be pro-active, and make sure of it

and its welsh for shutup. onus lortadine.

it means burden of reponsibilty.. or something like that.

Originally posted by kinkon89+Dec 23 2005, 01:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kinkon89 @ Dec 23 2005, 01:31 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Dec 23 2005, 11:23 AM
but the onus is on them to be pro-active, and make sure of it
ONUS!?!?!?

wats onus?
<
[/b]
as said by 'blandusername' - burden of responsibility

Latest posts