• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan Players to look out for near future

He kinda burst onto the scene at the 2011 world cup as well. So not really one to look out for in the near future. I think most people know about him.

The two wingers look really promising Fukuoka and Fujita. Both of them completely outplayed Howells and Prydie in the summer and they're around the same age. I've read about another japanese outside back/winger who's been at school in NZ and had nothing but praise thrown at him.

On the Wales/Japan tour wiki page there's a 17yo player called Aimi Kobayashi listed as a Gloucester player, any word of his development from the shed heads?

Leitch should either be starting for a Super rugby franchise or with a European club, not in the wider training squad of the Chiefs.
Gomaru could maybe get into the lower super rugby teams, but i think he's good enough for most European clubs.

He kinda burst onto the scene at the 2011 world cup as well. So not really one to look out for in the near future. I think most people know about him.

The two wingers look really promising Fukuoka and Fujita. Both of them completely outplayed Howells and Prydie in the summer and they're around the same age. I've read about another japanese outside back/winger who's been at school in NZ and had nothing but praise thrown at him.

On the Wales/Japan tour wiki page there's a 17yo player called Aimi Kobayashi listed as a Gloucester player, any word of his development from the shed heads?

Leitch should either be starting for a Super rugby franchise or with a European club, not in the wider training squad of the Chiefs.
Gomaru could maybe get into the lower super rugby teams, but i think he's good enough for most European clubs.

I like Leitch - but what NZ franchise would he start for? I'd say the Highlanders would be his only possible bet (based on them sucking in the LF department).

It wouldn't have to be a NZ franchise though right?

Although i've heard he wanted to return to NZ to be closer to his family, but that's no way to further your career right?
He could easily start in some of the Aussie teams or South African ones even.

Although i've heard he wanted to return to NZ to be closer to his family, but that's no way to further your career right?

Well I'd agree with you there. That said he could probably earn more money staying in Japan and he's already in their national team - so I guess the only reason to travel is to improve or because you like the life-style.

i think he can start for the highlanders but not the other big teams

the only reason why i didn't mention Fumiaki Tanaka is because he is 29 he'll be retiring soon

You're absolutely right about that, really it's about players that have potential that are under the radar. If you are playing at Super level then you don't fit that description.

You're absolutely right about that, really it's about players that have potential that are under the radar. If you are playing at Super level then you don't fit that description.

yeah but i think we will have a good scrum half as Takahiro Ogawa looks promising on his first appearance for Panasonic Wild Knights

i haven't heard anything about him i dont even know who he plays for

here i found a video on Kenki Fukuoka's debut for japan its pretty impressive if you ask me have a look at it (NOTE* and you'll see the best try from a prop! :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts