• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan Vs Canada : 12 - 12

Q

QKXV

Well done to Japan well deserved! This has to be one of the best matches of the tournament so far, Japan scoring a last minute try to bring them within two points of drawing with Canada and then Onishi having to put the ball over the cross bar from near the touchline. Brilliant

I knew Japan were going to cause a bit of an upset the minute they nicked Canada ball from the lineout and the wing Endo got past three defendes to score a great individual effort from about 40 metres out.

Amazingly courageous defence from the Japanese but I can't help but feel at least a little bit sorry for Canada.

I was on my feet when Japan went over and literally in the air when Onishi put it over. And some people want to get rid of these two teams?

I was on my feet when Japan went over and literally in the air when Onishi put it over. And some people want to get rid of these two teams? [/b]

:huh: What do mean by that? Kicked out of the World Cup?

No, they are looking at making the WC a competition with less teams in it. I think they are talking about 16. Therefore it would mean that teams such as Japan and Canada could and would miss out on future tournaments. All because the IRB sees fit to treat such nations with the upmost contempt instead of encouraging them and trying to bring them on and develop rugby as a series sport in the "smaller" rugby playing nations.

As long as the top 10 or so teams are fine then who else matters....?

It sounded as if Captain Destructo was saying that teams like Japan and Canada will just be thrown into the bin, just like that? No, the IRB wouldn't do such thing. That is why I think they made up another 'World Cup-like' competition for minnows to develop their rugby there. Over the many years of Rugby World Cup history, they (minnows) have been sent home with thrashed results. They don't get anything out of it.

Finally some have shown up this year, but that's a little too late for them now.

Both Canada and Japan are teams with lots of heart. Japan though have showed just how well they've come under Kirwan with this result.

The sad thing is that I do think that the iRB will heel to the wishes of the various top ten unions and create an utterly sterile 16 team Rugby World Cup with ten top nations and six whipping boys to provide entertainment.

Endo comes from a line of proud Japanese backs, always enterprising in nature and almost fanatical in their desire to get the ball over that line in the most daring and dynaic way possible, its hard not to cheer when Japan go on the counter attack. Great swashbuckling rugby and probably two of the best tries of the tournament so far!

Well done to Japan well deserved! This has to be one of the best matches of the tournament so far, Japan scoring a last minute try to bring them within two points of drawing with Canada and then Onishi having to put the ball over the cross bar from near the touchline. Brilliant
[/b]

According to the Canadien camp, the ref allowed 4 minutes extra-time after their fullback had kicked the ball into touch in the 81st minute.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

According to the Canadien camp, the ref allowed 4 minutes extra-time after their fullback had kicked the ball into touch in the 81st minute.

[/b][/quote]

Here's a comment that appeared in a prominent Toronto newspaper, from the Canadian captain Morgan Williams:

"The ball went out in the 81st minuteand then we played an extra three minutes after that. I don't know, was his watch broken, or was he blind?"

Those comments were directed towards Jonathan Kaplin.

Williams is a fiery guy, and those were some sharp words.

A really enjoyable game, even if it did seem like it went too long.

this was one of the best for entertainment!

Go The Cherry Blossoms

It just goes to show that all teams have the potential to draw the crowds, not just the elite teams.

yeah...the Japanese are great to watch, some of their players move unbelievably fast. I felt they could have taken canada.

Here's a comment that appeared in a prominent Toronto newspaper, from the Canadian captain Morgan Williams:

"The ball went out in the 81st minuteand then we played an extra three minutes after that. I don't know, was his watch broken, or was he blind?"

[/b]

Yeah, but you have to admit, it was an awesome try :lol:

I was fortunate enough to be in the stadium in Bordeaux for the game and for sheer intensity, determination and excitement this has to be one of the greatest matches I have seen. Full on stuff with heroic attacking and even more heroic defending from both sides.

A few questions, however ...

The second Canada try. The Canadians were attacking and then threw the ball wide, it went loose, a Japanese fly hacked it away, it hit a Canadian, went forward was collected by a Japanese player who was tackled and then penalised for not releasing. Were the Canadian tacklers offside? They appeared to be in front of the Canadian player off whom the ball cannoned.

When the Canadian put the ball into touch around 80 minutes and 15 seconds, we stood up to applaud both teams assuming it was time up. Delighted Kaplan played more time and after all, he's the man with the whistle and if he thinks a bit more time should be added, so be it.

Silly play by Williams to slap the bal into touch thus giving Japan one last chance for an attack. No doubt at all it was the correct decision by the officials, the only debate was why it took them so long.

I'm sure there will be other great games from the big guns but we were royally entertained by both teams.

Welcome to the forum Pollonius, read somehwere about the Kaplan timekeeping issue. It was said that the stadium clock and tv ones had been wrong and that it's been a bit of a technical issue in previous matches too. When the ball went out and everyone thought it was game over Kaplan asked the question if time was up, he was told there were 30 seconds left and was allowed to call the LO. , Penalties has to be taken.

The big question for me is whether the TMO can be used to decided anything else than a try, i.e in this case whether it was a penalty or not, I don't see anything wrong with that but I thought they only call on tries...

I think the Ref can only consult with the touch judges on matters that don't revolve around tries. If he has called on the TMO, I've never heard of a case in a domestic or international game up here at least.

Although, with total idiots like Kaplan, White and Walsh, I think having those three call on the TMO and Touch Judges for every call should be compulsory.

It sounded as if Captain Destructo was saying that teams like Japan and Canada will just be thrown into the bin, just like that? No, the IRB wouldn't do such thing. That is why I think they made up another 'World Cup-like' competition for minnows to develop their rugby there. Over the many years of Rugby World Cup history, they (minnows) have been sent home with thrashed results. They don't get anything out of it.

Finally some have shown up this year, but that's a little too late for them now.

[/b]

How can you say the minnows don't get anything out of it? What about Georgia? They were yards from beating Ireland, yet may well not play in the world cup again. Japan have contributed well to this world cup and have scored tries worthy of most Teir 1 nations. Add to that, the fans view. Most fans from what i can gather appreciate the contribution of lower tier nations and want them to stay in. The minnow nations may well have decided pool D as well when bonus points are accounted for.

I think the Ref can only consult with the touch judges on matters that don't revolve around tries. If he has called on the TMO, I've never heard of a case in a domestic or international game up here at least.

Although, with total idiots like Kaplan, White and Walsh, I think having those three call on the TMO and Touch Judges for every call should be compulsory. [/b]

I believe the TMO keeps time as well.

I have to say the game was terrible, it was like watching a bad high school game. What saved the game from being a complete snorefest was the passion in which the game was played and the fast, ferocious finish. The way Canada played against Japan is not indicitive of their level and they were atrocious. You have to give credit to Japan for sticking it out and for the kicker to have the balls to make that kick.

<blockquote>Here's a comment that appeared in a prominent Toronto newspaper, from the Canadian captain Morgan Williams:

</blockquote>

The Captain, Morgan Williams only has himself to blame, for if he had put himself between the Japanese and the ball or simply grounded it instead of slapping it the match would have been over. :wall:

Canada v Japan - Most recent matches ...

May 1998 in Tokyo - Japan 22 Canada 30
June 1998 in Vancouver - Canada 34 Japan 25
May 1999 in Tokyo - Japan 23 Canada 21
July 2000 in Montreal - Canada 62 Japan 18
July 2001 in Tokyo - Japan 39 Canada 7
May 2004 in Tokyo - Japan 34 Canada 21
May 2005 in Tokyo - Japan 10 Canada 15

Wins Canada 4 Japan 3 ... and now 1 draw. Two teams who appear to be well matched.

<blockquote>Here's a comment that appeared in a prominent Toronto newspaper, from the Canadian captain Morgan Williams:

</blockquote>

The Captain, Morgan Williams only has himself to blame, for if he had put himself between the Japanese and the ball or simply grounded it instead of slapping it the match would have been over. :wall: [/b]

I'll argue that without Morgan Williams, Canada would not have even scored a single try.