• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jean De Villiers turns down move to Munster

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
SA Rugby’s player of the year Jean de Villiers, has reportedly said no to a massive offer of almost R4-million per season from Irish province Munster.[/b]
http://www.supersport.co.za/rugby/article....%20for%20Europe

Munster have been linked with De Villiers and Seru Rabeni, both of whom are centres. It possibly indicates that Rua Tipoki is on the way out as has been suspected for a while.

Yup, seems that way. What's 4 million South African moneys in euro or 'them across the water' money?

Would have been class to have De Villiers. Where did you hear about Seru Rabeni?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 2 2009, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yup, seems that way. What's 4 million South African moneys in euro or 'them across the water' money?

Would have been class to have De Villiers. Where did you hear about Seru Rabeni?[/b]
Rabeni was linked in the Rugby Times about 10 days ago.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 3 2009, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Would have been class to have De Villiers. Where did you hear about Seru Rabeni?[/b]

I think its some like 300, 000 euros.

What a signing that could have been. Shows the sort of player Munster will need to fill Tipoki`s boots.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 2 2009, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What a signing that could have been. Shows the sort of player Munster will need to fill Tipoki`s boots.[/b]
He would have been a fantastic signing as you say. I'd say he's precisely the type of marquee signing Munster are going to have to make over the next couple of years if they are to remain at the top of European rugby. Munster's entire front row, a couple of their starting back rows and three starting backs are in their 30s. While only a couple of them are close to retirement (Hayes and Quinlan), it's likely that the others are going to see their talent level diminish from now until the end of their career. Some top level signings like De Villiers will be needed to guide the team through a transition period.

Cherish every moment of it Danny because you won't like what comes after! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 2 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cherish every moment of it Danny because you won't like what comes after! :p[/b]
I agree. Diarmuid McCarthy, Tommy O'Donnell, Andrew Burke and Sean Cronin will lead the charge of another extremely talented group of players coming through the system. If the players I've mentioned can be fused with some imported talent (of De Villiers standard) and youngers stalwarts like Dowling, O'Leary, Earls, Ryan and Mafi, Munster will remain alongside Toulouse as a European powerhouse.

In the relative short term I think Munster need to add a loosehead prop, a centre and a back 3 player to their squad. Around three subtle changes will need to be made to their 22 every year for the next few seasons to ease the transition to a new team. It's somethig they've successfully achieved in the past (how many of the 2000 Heineken Cup final squad are still around?) and will undoubtedly do again.

Well they might, and that's the most you can say about any team looking into the futire.

Glad to hear that the Intercept King is staying with the Stormers ^_^ .And I don't think he will be leaving any time soon as he has said before his heart is with the Stormers and WP.

Would have been a great signing for Munster but looks like they will just have to go fish for a center somewhere else :p .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 2 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
fair enough they are good prospects. It doesnt mean they will win you a HC[/b]
I'm a Leinster fan, I'd rather Munster didn't win another Heineken Cup (at least before Leinster do anyway!).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Feb 2 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
fair enough they are good prospects. It doesnt mean they will win you a HC[/b]
but they probably will seeing as theyre munster. look at gloucester great players but no silverware. munster are the comlete opposite theyre born to win as stupid as it sounds

De Villiers is one of the few players who is turning down lucrative offers it would appear... I think South Africa will have a big player exodus after the Lions tour...

Peter Grant was another Stormers player turning down a big money move to Europe because he still has Springbok aspirations

I thought Munster currently ARE a team in transition.

Hurley, Earls, Warwick, Ronin, O'Leary .................. eh ................. Hayes ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 4 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought Munster currently ARE a team in transition.

Hurley, Earls, Warwick, Ronin, O'Leary .................. eh ................. Hayes ;)[/b]
The are in transition but what's ahead of them is harder. Replacing John Kelly, Anthony Horgan, Frank Sheahan and Peter Stringer is a damn sight easier than replacing Ronan O'Gara, Alan Quinlan, David Wallace and John Hayes.

getting Ross back from Quins has to be the top priority for Munster in the off season.

Latest posts