Jean Kleyn

Cruz_del_Sur

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
CASI
South Africans and Irish aside for hopefully obvious reasons, are the rest of you ok with this? Please don't throw the rulebook at me. I am well aware he is allowed to do that. My question is more along the lines of what would you prefer? What would you like to see?

In case anyone missed it

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't like it, not one bit. But on the other hand I see glimpses of gargantuan sincerity in his speech which help expose the monumental hypocrisy in how the system works. It all boils down to a very, very simple question: when it comes down to national teams do you want players to be able to pick teams or teams to pick players? I know those two arent necessarily mutually exclusive but for every practical purpose they are.
I know where I stand.

Shouldn't be allowed to swap nations under any circumstance, imo
Just cheapens international sport

Him playing for Ireland in the first place was silly, but then swapping back to South Africa is just a clown show

I'm happy with the residency and qualifying rules as they are now but this is really the worst of it all. He was here for three years before playing for us and beat Dev Toner to the last world cup, just not a long enough commitment to deserve it. Now that he's not good enough for us he switches back, if SA were tier 2 I think it'd be fine but switching between the two most recent world number 1s is bogus.

Fortunately I doubt he'll get 5 games out of this sojourn, he's not that good at rugby.

I'm happy with the residency and qualifying rules as they are now but this is really the worst of it all.
You lost me. On one hand, you say you are happy with the rule but then you strongly suggest you are not happy with this outcome, which is allowed by those very same rules...

I could even understand it if there was
a) No way to change the rules
b) every single other potential rule we could think of to address this issue would result in something even worse

a) is just not true and I don't see much evidence of b). What am I missing?

You lost me. On one hand, you say you are happy with the rule but then you strongly suggest you are not happy with this outcome, which is allowed by those very same rules...

I could even understand it if there was
a) No way to change the rules
b) every single other potential rule we could think of to address this issue would result in something even worse

a) is just not true and I don't see much evidence of b). What am I missing?
He qualified for Ireland under the old rules.

In case you have a couple of mins and find the subject interesting, Darcy's exchanges on twitter are quite rich

He qualified for Ireland under the old rules.
I understand that but couldn't have he qualified for Ireland under the new rules, too? I understand he could have. Would have only taken a tad longer but the issue remains.

I don't care if it takes 1, 3, 5, or 100 years. I want the rules to make it impossible for someone to represent two countries in international rugby.

I understand that but couldn't have he qualified for Ireland under the new rules, too? I understand he could have. Would have only taken a tad longer but the issue remains.

I don't care if it takes 1, 3, 5, or 100 years. I want the rules to make it impossible for someone to represent two countries in international rugby.
I'm mostly against the nation switching too, think it should be allowed for tier switches to spread the wealth a bit or give late bloomers a crack at tier 1 rugby but this is stupid.

Think nation swapping shouldn't be allowed between tier 1 Nations. That said I have nothing against the players themselves taking advantage of it, especially JK. Was hugely surprised he got a call up, but more power to him.

The tier 1 tier 2 nations is a made up thing.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to change country.

The tier 1 tier 2 nations is a made up thing.
Until recently they were the official bands. World Rugby have blurred the lines and made all previous tier 1 & 2 nations "High Performance teams" which is terrible in practice for the previous tier 2 sides, they don't gain any voting power and it indicates that WR don't see value in developing then further.

Portugal and Chile on the other hand are both developmental teams and in a different band / tier to the rest of the RWC teams.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to change country.
I think that's fair but I also don't think anyone can hold this opinion and complain about uncompetitive RWC pools and WR not doing anything to grow the game in the same breath. (Not that you have, just expanding on why I think tiers and player switches between tiers are far from bad ideas)

Until recently they were the official bands. World Rugby have blurred the lines and made all previous tier 1 & 2 nations "High Performance teams" which is terrible in practice for the previous tier 2 sides, they don't gain any voting power and it indicates that WR don't see value in developing then further.

Portugal and Chile on the other hand are both developmental teams and in a different band / tier to the rest of the RWC teams.

I think that's fair but I also don't think anyone can hold this opinion and complain about uncompetitive RWC pools and WR not doing anything to grow the game in the same breath. (Not that you have, just expanding on why I think tiers and player switches between tiers are far from bad ideas)
I don't complain about un-competitive games, as an England fan i'm just happy to win them lol

I just see this as a cheapening of the game. If they really wanted to help the 'teir 2' nations then they would get them regular game time in competitions but they don't seem interested in that. I think we've also got to face the facts that some countries will be worse than others, some will be richer, some have better players etc. Its stupid for anyone to think that all countries will reach the same level. There will always be countries than excel vs those that don't.

I think it's nuts that players can swap between Tier 1 countries. Recent examples like Kleyn or Henry Thomas are really missing the point the new rules were aiming to address.

I'm hoping that the existence of the Drua and Moana teams gives the PI players that this mostly affected an opportunity to make a more balanced decision. Essentially, improving the strength of the PI teams changes the picture. If you're a 20 year old Fijian or Tongan who moves to NZ on a rugby scholarship, you now have a harder decision to make between whether you want to stay loyal to the land of your birth or decide to chase an All Black cap. Previously it was a bit like All Black's or bust. Now representing Fiji, Tonga or Samoa is a lot more attractive.

The problem with making dual qualified players commit with no prospect of change would just make the poaching of young talent even more shameless than it already is.

think it should be allowed for tier switches to spread the wealth a bit or give late bloomers a crack at tier 1 rugby but this is stupid.
Forgive my cynicism but one could easily argue that's a way for tier 1 teams to poach tier 2's best. Test rugby is not a grant-your-wish foundation so that players who are good but not good enough for their national team could have a crack at a world cup playing for another nation.
Well, it actually is, but I believe it shouldn't. That is precisely the problem.
You could even state it in the law: 'Players from tier 1 RU can go to tier 2 national teams but not vice versa'. But they won't. Because that ruins the poaching. And sure, someone will come up with a stat that shows there are more NZ-born playing for other pac islanders than the other way around. What they won't mention is that the ones who do so did it because they couldn't make it to the All Blacks. The opposite doesn't work. The quality of the players that shift from one team to another, sadly, matters.

Basically you are advocating for, dunno, the Netherlands which can't produce their own to go out shopping for the breadcrumbs of South Africa's system so that they could beat other nations with (potentially) stronger grassroots and development systems. You probably don't give a flying turd, but quite a few in Spain, Portugal, Germany and Belgium do.

That is not what I want. And the hypocrisy, dear lord. It's SOO evident that it pains me to even have to mention it. Everyone cries foul whenever the situation hurts their national teams but looks the other way when it benefits them. I don't mean you (seriously, i don't), but a LOT of your countrymen are going at Kleyn as if he were some sort of traitor. Throw a CJ Stander comment in the mix and wow, the reactions. "no, that is completely different".
No, it's not.

You either want a system that encourages national teams to purchase players from other countries or a system that does what it can to prevent that from happening. The rest is just bells and whistles.

The tier thing is, imo, an insult to injury. If switching teams if not something desired then what the hell does the tier have to do with it?
A lot of people are talking about Tonga's/Samoa's squad for the world cup. All apparently happy about it. 'Look at that back line, amazing to see them playing together in a world cup!'. Ask a Roumanian or a Chilean about it, see how that goes. It destroys their effort. Kills it. These teams go through a lot, i mean a LOT to get to a world cup.

Or we could have the old boys club we've had and pretend we're expanding. We can tell each other that ad nauseam. We can even make a ppt about it while the heads of all top 10 RU nod in unison and congratulate each other.

/end rand

PS: nothing against you. Just took the opportunity to blow off some steam.

I don't complain about un-competitive games, as an England fan i'm just happy to win them lol

I just see this as a cheapening of the game. If they really wanted to help the 'teir 2' nations then they would get them regular game time in competitions but they don't seem interested in that. I think we've also got to face the facts that some countries will be worse than others, some will be richer, some have better players etc. Its stupid for anyone to think that all countries will reach the same level. There will always be countries than excel vs those that don't.
I like this. My only concern is the 'some will be richer'. Not sure i understand the gist. If by that you mean that richer countries can spend more money on development, grassroots, training, etc, i agree, 154343543%. If, however, you mean that richer countries will purchase players from poorer nations, well, then I think that's precisely the kind of thing WR should prevent.

I like this. My only concern is the 'some will be richer'. Not sure i understand the gist. If by that you mean that richer countries can spend more money on development, grassroots, training, etc, i agree, 154343543%. If, however, you mean that richer countries will purchase players from poorer nations, well, then I think that's precisely the kind of thing WR should prevent.
I just meant that some countries will have more budget to invest in training, player wages etc.

What held PIs back more than the commitment law was the fact they'd get blackballed from SR if they played for a PI unless they were of a certain quality. Now that there are two PI teams that shouldn't be as much of an issue.

***i playing for Samoa upsets me. Dude was born in Tacoma and capped for our national team. Refused to play in our qualifiers and now shows up for another team in the World Cup.

I don't have a particular problem with the rules as they currently are, though I'd tweak them a little.
5 years for original qualifying on residency is fine by me. The important thing for me is that it's more than 1 RWC cycle (so 50 months minimum).
I'd up the stand-down time before re-qualifying to be more than 1 RWC cycle, so 50 months. If we actualy formalise tiers in international rugby, then I'd like different criteria for dropping tiers vs gaining tiers or moving within the same tier.

I'd prefer 2 grandparents rather than 1 for original qualifying - but I don't feel particularly strongly about that.
I'd drop the grandparent rule for re-qualifying - again though, I don't feel particularly strongly about that.

I'd drop that the Channel Islands can qualify you for any of 5 countries thing - Channel Islands rugby comes under the RFU's umbrella, so should qualify you for England, absent other factors.

I can absolutely see, and have plenty of 2nd-hand experience, of people who feel genuine attachment to 2 different countries; and I have no problem with that.

Forgive my cynicism but one could easily argue that's a way for tier 1 teams to poach tier 2's best. Test rugby is not a grant-your-wish foundation so that players who are good but not good enough for their national team could have a crack at a world cup playing for another nation.
Well, it actually is, but I believe it shouldn't. That is precisely the problem.
You could even state it in the law: 'Players from tier 1 RU can go to tier 2 national teams but not vice versa'. But they won't. Because that ruins the poaching. And sure, someone will come up with a stat that shows there are more NZ-born playing for other pac islanders than the other way around. What they won't mention is that the ones who do so did it because they couldn't make it to the All Blacks. The opposite doesn't work. The quality of the players that shift from one team to another, sadly, matters.
Is that going to hurt tier 2 rugby though? I'd say it'd be more valuable to, using your example, Dutch rugby if they had a superstar who played a few games for the Netherlands, was way above the level and got his break for the Books playing in world cup semi finals and finals. Luka Doncic isn't a national icon in Slovenia for what he does with the national team. Huge potential to grow the game if this happens, far bigger than qualifying for and getting dicked in a World Cup I'd argue.
Basically you are advocating for, dunno, the Netherlands which can't produce their own to go out shopping for the breadcrumbs of South Africa's system so that they could beat other nations with (potentially) stronger grassroots and development systems. You probably don't give a flying turd, but quite a few in Spain, Portugal, Germany and Belgium do.
Half of these teams have been DQed from one of or both of the last two world cups, I reckon they'd be delighted with looser laws!

Ultimately though, diaspora helps until it doesn't Irish soccer's over reliance on English and Scottish born players ultimately killed the sport here.
That is not what I want. And the hypocrisy, dear lord. It's SOO evident that it pains me to even have to mention it. Everyone cries foul whenever the situation hurts their national teams but looks the other way when it benefits them. I don't mean you (seriously, i don't), but a LOT of your countrymen are going at Kleyn as if he were some sort of traitor. Throw a CJ Stander comment in the mix and wow, the reactions. "no, that is completely different".
No, it's not.
I haven't really seen much of this, apart from D'arcy but he's not the full deck of cards really. Twitter searches of "Jean Kleyn traitor" or "Jean Kleyn Mercenary" give zero results.

Munster fans are painting it as if we have let a player with the combined skill of Martin Johnson, Victor Mayfield and Will Skelton go. Leinster fans want him or Snyman off the books.

Idiots on both sides are coming out with the odd howler.

As an aside it would have been great if Stander had done this, would have killed the rule, or at least forced an alteration incredibly quickly I think. I'd also have been very intrigued to see who Munster fans would have supported in our group game v SA, reckon we just edge their loyalty at the moment because of POM.
You either want a system that encourages national teams to purchase players from other countries or a system that does what it can to prevent that from happening. The rest is just bells and whistles.
I think this kind of hits the nail on the head in many ways. Nobody knows what World Rugby want out of these rules, seemingly least of all them. They said this rule is to make tier 2 more competitive and the Pacific Islands seem to be benefitting but it's overshadowed by the likes of Kleyn and the Wallaby playing for Scotland.

If you're going to declare motivation for a rule change, implement it correctly. This is just a free for all which as you clearly point out is being exploited to devalue the game. Had Ireland not made shite of the last world cup Kleyn could have ended up playing the only two world cup games between Ireland and SA to date, one for either team in consecutive tournaments. Bizarre. (Slight tangent but I think the qualification period should be extended to 4 years to avoid this in agreement with WT above)
The tier thing is, imo, an insult to injury. If switching teams if not something desired then what the hell does the tier have to do with it?
A lot of people are talking about Tonga's/Samoa's squad for the world cup. All apparently happy about it. 'Look at that back line, amazing to see them playing together in a world cup!'. Ask a Roumanian or a Chilean about it, see how that goes. It destroys their effort. Kills it. These teams go through a lot, i mean a LOT to get to a world cup.
Yeah but take that away and you've got Uruguay, Spain and previously Germany (before the ERCC jokers killed the sport there) benefitting from proximity to tier 1 nations and artificially increasing the quality of their club game. Much like my point re diaspora above geography helps until you're over reliant, England soccer constantly fall short due to their club game's reliance on imports.

Italy and Georgia have invested in underage structures that will eventually pay dividends, the signs are there. Scotland on the other hand have been bouncing their head off the ceiling with their approach, their underage game is in a bad way and the future looks bleak, an absolute waste of producing a handful of homegrown generational players at once.

Or we could have the old boys club we've had and pretend we're expanding. We can tell each other that ad nauseam. We can even make a ppt about it while the heads of all top 10 RU nod in unison and congratulate each other.

/end rand

PS: nothing against you. Just took the opportunity to blow off some steam.
No disagreement there. There is no thought process or direction. WR take credit for progress like Uruguay's and Georgia's even when they blatantly go against their system, I think they massively overvalue the Pacific island nations in their search for a new contender.

The current trend across sport seems to be loose nationality rules, and I think rugby can benefit from it by trying to make the world cup a competitive arena where good teams will fail to qualify (ultimately where I'd like rugby to be), that should be the goal in my opinion and nationality switches between formalised tiers can certainly help that. There's a lack of foresight though and that needs addressing, otherwise countless back and forth conversations like this will be had and lead to nothing.

All that said, the two of us personally have fundamentally opposing views on nationality so we won't get too far apart from covering every side of the arguments to be had and potential concessions!

Totally against players switching nations. Just makes a mockery of things.

Latest posts