• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Joe Schmidt will finish coaching after 2019 World Cup

He's a brilliant coach and will be a huge loss for Irish Rugby.

His personal life has to take precedence over sport. I wish him and his family nothing but the best for the future.

What a legacy he's left behind with hopefully more to add.

2x European Cups
1x Challenge Cup
1x Pro 12
3x 6 Nations Championships
1x Grand Slam
First test win in SA
First test series win away against Australia in nearly 40 years
First win against New Zealand
First win on home soil against New Zealand
Achieved Ireland's highest ever world ranking

He's a brilliant coach and will be a huge loss for Irish Rugby.

His personal life has to take precedence over sport. I wish him and his family nothing but the best for the future.

What a legacy he's left behind with hopefully more to add.

2x European Cups
1x Challenge Cup
1x Pro 12
3x 6 Nations Championships
1x Grand Slam
First test win in SA
First test series win away against Australia in nearly 40 years
First win against New Zealand
First win on home soil against New Zealand
Achieved Ireland's highest ever world ranking

You can add 2019 World cup Quarter Finalists to that list.

Massive pity, one of the best coaches ever IMO. Very happy he always coached my teams and that I never had to watch my team playing against a team where he was head coach. It probably won't be forever but fairplay to him for prioritising his family. Whoever decided to get Clermont's assistant coach in to replace Michael Cheika at Leinster deserves huge.

Ní bheidh a leithéad arís ann.

Easily Ireland's best coach. Hard to dispute that.
I suppose you got to respect him. It isn't a shock he's leaving Ireland. We all knew that would happen after RWC. And if he stayed it would've been to lead Lions and then go.
He will be a loss to rugby if he does step away but family comes first and I'm sure he knows what he got to do. But at the same time his dream was to lead the All Blacks and as scary as it sounds. I hope in time and given the right circumstances that he can getthat opportunity. He earned it.

A seemingly light hearted and warm fellow despite all the stresses of modern professional sport. A gent among curmudgeons.

Please tell me that there is no indication he is enduring a family tragedy and that this is just a lifestyle choice made by him and his family.

Leo Cullen could be 2x Pro14 and 2x European Cup winner and not get a crack at the national side. I can only assume Schmidt was instrumental in identifying his successor(s).

Please tell me that there is no indication he is enduring a family tragedy and that this is just a lifestyle choice made by him and his family.
His parents are elderly and he'll have been away from New Zealand for 12 years at the end of his contract. He also has a son who has health issues. Family always has to take priority.

A seemingly light hearted and warm fellow despite all the stresses of modern professional sport. A gent among curmudgeons.

Leo Cullen could be 2x Pro14 and 2x European Cup winner and not get a crack at the national side. I can only assume Schmidt was instrumental in identifying his successor(s).
Not an enduring tragedy. His son had bad case of epilepsy and well Schmidt always said his treatment would dictate where his career took him. If I remember last time there was talks of him moving back it was mentioned to be Melbourne or Sydney as that was only places his son could get same treatment at the time.
He's done a hell of a lot for epilepsy and their bodies here in Ireland too. And speaking with that hat on it is probably better than his achievements in rugby what he has done there. Another member of medical staff here in Munster has a family member who suffers with epileptic fits and says Schmidt has done so much behind scenes there

i think a lots o kiwis had been planning on him coming back to the nz and the AB's.....whats plan B i wonder

Latest posts