• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

John Smit resigns as Sharks CEO

Yea im glad about this he was too compromising towards the players will. Being a former player i think he understood that dynamics and he let players go if they wanted to go he also went through a lot of trouble in hiring people to create a great environment at the sharks (B.Venter). But we need a business man now. We need a guy focused on making the sharks as profitable as possible. One that would demand transfer fees if clubs want to sign our players while still under contract. Only then would we have more money that can be invested in youth development and securing long term contracts with higher wages to keep our world class players. Although i really commend John for the work he has done to make the Sharks a desirable place to work its no use you have a good working environment and we can only afford to sign future prospects that might become good. Bayern Munich mainly signs players from the German Bundesliga making them stronger and their opponents weaker the result? Four straight Bundesliga ***les. Although this is not necessarily fully achievable in the South African rugby landscape its still a model we should work towards. We are too easily alowing our player to not only leave for foreign shores but also to rival teams like The Bulls. If we cant keep our player from going overseas at least keep them from going to other local teams. That to me is why im hopeful that a new CEO could be good for the Sharks.

Ever since Plumtree was sacked and Smit announced his "dual coach" policy i've been skeptical of his ability to make postive changes to the union tbh. There were many claims made by him in the media about revolutionising the way the sport was managed etc, it seems to me he had more success advancing the brand itself rather then the brand of rugby the union is playing. Don't get me wrong, he's an adequate C.E.O in terms of what I expected, but we could do better and as Sharkfan noted, this was rather expected

I thought he did relatively well. Was maybe too 'soft'. Don't get me wrong I feel its a brilliant characteristic in a person but probably not what a company wants in a CEO.

I think it's a pity that he's resigning.

He has done a good job in the time he was in charge, and he had to make a lot of tough decisions, but in the end it has paid off, and got the Sharks back on course of being one of the top teams in the country.

While some may see the appointment of Gary Gold and other staff as a bad move, they have certainly proved their mettle.

But all the best to him and his family. And good luck to they guy they appoint in his place. It's certainly not an easy job.

Edward Griffiths is probably available. Would he be up to the job?

Latest posts