• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jonah's

B

blaze

The majority of people say that Jonah's is still the best rugby game ever in terms of gameplay.

Why doesn't someone come out with Jonah Lomu Rugby with better graphics, updated teams and more competitions plus a more competitive AI opponent?

Yeah, RC2006 is being made by the same people that made Jonah Lomu Rugby.
<

So sit tight and it should be out in about a month.

Coco

Yeah, heres hoping. You would think that creating jonahs with identical gameplay and updated graphics would be easy. Not so far, hopefully WRC2006 will meet these expectations.

its not as easy as that, animations for offloads, quick taps and lineouts - and off course a rucking system was alot easy to do on ps1 than that of a ps2

with all do respect to swordfish, jlr is the best game for playability - theres no doubt, and it would be great if that game could be updated for the ps2, but is alot harder than people think. With the ps1 the animations due to the graphic capability of the ps1 were sloppy at best, now with the prime and chisseld ps2 its alot harder to make animations for a modern machine. - RUGBY IS A VERY TECHNICAL GAME, AND ITS POINTLESS PUTTING IN ANIMATIONS THAT LOOK CLUMSY AND FEEL AWKWARD.

i do have alot of hope for rc - it seems the real deal, and i cant wait - as four weeks to day i will be playing it.
<

Originally posted by loratadine@Dec 30 2005, 10:58 AM
i do have alot of hope for rc - it seems the real deal, and i cant wait - as four weeks to day i will be playing it.
<
Yeah, we can all hope to be playing it by then, fingers crossed for the release date
<

Coco

Originally posted by Coco@Dec 30 2005, 09:58 PM
<

Coco
We have to give Swordfish some leeway because some of the original JLR team are not with them anymore.............

.....if they did have ALL of the original team there then this would be closer to a done deal.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Dec 31 2005, 04:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Dec 31 2005, 04:59 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Coco
@Dec 30 2005, 09:58 PM
<

Coco
We have to give Swordfish some leeway because some of the original JLR team are not with them anymore.............

.....if they did have ALL of the original team there then this would be closer to a done deal. [/b]
I think the only think that really prevented WCR from being a new JLR was that they encountered problems going from sprites to full 3D models... But I'd be willing to be this time they've got no such problems.

Just to be on the safe side tho, I'd love to have a new JLR with same graphics (I don't care how lame they were), but with new squads, competitions and knock-ons in it.

I'd pay for just that even.

It has been so long since we've had a rugby game that playable, and no offense to Locksley, but I'll believe it when I've played it.

There have been too many built-up letdowns over the last 3 years.

Hey, I had a dream...
Because RC2006 seems to be the latest rugby game made by Swordfish, perhaps they could release the JLR source code ( as ID Software did it with the Quake sequel) to the community . We could then tweak it , and make the rugby game we all want to have
<

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Dec 31 2005, 03:03 PM
It has been so long since we've had a rugby game that playable, and no offense to Locksley, but I'll believe it when I've played it.
There's not only me that praised RC2006. Don't forget, Knowsleyroader, St Helens RLFC and Boy have all played it and think it's ace.

Now for a rugby game to please Knowsleyroader then it's GOT to be good! Even more impressive is the fact that Knowsley HATED WCR with a passion.

Roll on 20th Jan. Rugby Multiplayer heaven will be back with a bang.
<

Well, get ready for me to endorse your opinion very heartily. At this stage though, I wouldn't trust 20 opinions, my confidence has been that heavily dented by rugby games since the great game.

Originally posted by locksley+Dec 31 2005, 08:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locksley @ Dec 31 2005, 08:30 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-C A Iversen
@Dec 31 2005, 03:03 PM
There's not only me that praised RC2006. Don't forget, Knowsleyroader, St Helens RLFC and Boy have all played it and think it's ace.

Now for a rugby game to please Knowsleyroader then it's GOT to be good! Even more impressive is the fact that Knowsley HATED WCR with a passion.

Roll on 20th Jan. Rugby Multiplayer heaven will be back with a bang.
<
[/b]
I'm still personally going to reserve judgement personally though to be honest, as Rugby 2005 was touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but ended up another half finished EA game.

Now Sanzar! Surely you mean a two thirds finished game.

It was sub-par, not shite.
<

I think RL2 has proved how opinions vary on Rugby ***les. While myself and lox hate RL2 we both really liked RC2006. It could be the case that as Sanzar likes RL2 he may hate RC2006 but I dont think its going to be so clear cut as with RC2006 I think while some may not love it you would be harder pushed to find faults with it than with RL2.

Add to the mix that myself and lox are diehard league fans and union as a sport really doesnt interest me all that much.

Each to their own and everyone should reserve their judgement until the pad is in their hand with the game spinning around in the console of your choice ( or pc ).

Good luck to you all
<

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Jan 1 2006, 02:56 AM

<
Well yeah, maybe two thirds finished... I mean, they did have the basics of a good game in there, but the lack of offloads in the game, the lack of control over players (or rather constantly interupted control), the useless nature of steps and palms, the ineffective nature of any kicks when anywhere near a defending player, the inability to alter stadium conditions, the lack of any option to play as the host nation on the Lions tour as well as other things really turned me off this game...

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 1 2006, 12:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 1 2006, 12:34 PM)</div>
@Jan 1 2006, 02:56 AM

<
Well yeah, maybe two thirds finished... I mean, they did have the basics of a good game in there, but the lack of offloads in the game, the lack of control over players (or rather constantly interupted control), the useless nature of steps and palms, the ineffective nature of any kicks when anywhere near a defending player, the inability to alter stadium conditions, the lack of any option to play as the host nation on the Lions tour as well as other things really turned me off this game... [/b]
2005 goes down as a crying shame in my book as the engine was fantastic. I remember when I first played it and the tackling was just WOW ! As far as rugby games go it was the only one that made my jaw drop. Although after extended play there were some faults that ruined what could have been an amazing game.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader+Jan 1 2006, 08:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (knowsleyroader @ Jan 1 2006, 08:52 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Jan 1 2006, 12:34 PM
@Jan 1 2006, 02:56 AM

<

Well yeah, maybe two thirds finished... I mean, they did have the basics of a good game in there, but the lack of offloads in the game, the lack of control over players (or rather constantly interupted control), the useless nature of steps and palms, the ineffective nature of any kicks when anywhere near a defending player, the inability to alter stadium conditions, the lack of any option to play as the host nation on the Lions tour as well as other things really turned me off this game...
2005 goes down as a crying shame in my book as the engine was fantastic. I remember when I first played it and the tackling was just WOW ! As far as rugby games go it was the only one that made my jaw drop. Although after extended play there were some faults that ruined what could have been an amazing game. [/b]
In my opinion, we have all seen how erratic the quality can be in rugby game ***les over the last few years.

I feel that the technological advances in consoles over the last few years has cost us in gameplay terms. This is because developers seem so enamoured with what they can do in terms of graphics, sound effects, motion capture and 3d enviroments, that they have an immense task on their hands co-ordinating the myriad of tasks involved in bringing the whole project together.

The cost it seems is a flexible control interface that can rapidly react to the users controller inputs in a cohesive and well animated fashion.

This to me has had the effect of taking the control out of our hands and placing it into the AI in many senarios. This is not to say we don't have a fairly high degree of control, it's just not total and in a game involving such precision timing, this can spoil the whole package.

So, I feel that EA and Sidhe have to go back to the drawing board and place the above situation at the top of their lists. The verdict is out on RC2006, but I do have a positive feeling about it, thanks largely to Locksley and Knowsley.

I am, of course prepared for any possible deflating letdown through the miracle of prior experience.

<

Latest posts