• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jones: I could revive England

B

Bullitt

eddiejones.jpg

Former Australia coach Eddie Jones believes he is the man to revive England's flagging fortunes.

Andy Robinson resigned as England coach last week after a run of eight defeats in nine games and Jones is among the favourites to replace him.

And the 46-year-old told The Sunday Times that he has the ability to lead England to the World Cup semi-finals as long as the Rugby Football Union are happy to appoint a foreign coach for the first time.

"Having coached at international level I wuld like to do so again and a job coaching England is one of the biggest in the world," Jones said.

"Nobody wants to see England doing poorly because it is not in the interests of the game globally, so if the RFU asked me to look at a 10-month contract through to the end of the World Cup I would most definitely give it serious consideration."

Jones added that his first decision would be to call up former Great Britain rugby league star Andy Farrell, who is becoming a key figure at Saracens after overcoming a series of injuries.

"I would put Andy Farrell straight in there at No 12 - he's got that natural instinct, and will only get better. I saw a video of him playing Northampton recently, and although he's still raw and 10 games away from knowing what to do, he runs good lines, and has great distribution skills and physical presence," Jones said.

"With a big No 12 who gets over the gain-line combined with England's forward power, you won't go too far wrong."

England lost 13 of their 22 Tests under Robinson, a far cry from the outstanding sequence of results which led them to World Cup glory under Sir Clive Woodward.

Yet Jones is adamant that England still have plenty of playing talent available to them and that they should be doing much better, singling out 20-year-old Gloucester fly-half Ryan Lamb as a case in point.

"There are plenty of good players, but they were a little late giving them a run. Lamb has something a bit different and at Test level you have to be different. I'm surprised he didn't get a run this autumn.

"There are only six sides competing for fourth spot so the chances of reaching a semi-final are pretty good. you have to beat South Africa in the group stage, but if you do anything can happen because you get momentum.

"Australia in 2003 is a classic example because at first we didn't look like a team who could get to the final."

Jones was sacked as Australia coach last January after a run of eight defeats in nine matches and is currently with Queensland Reds.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...+revive+England

a sacked coach saying he can finish a job of another sacked coach... sounds like a sack of rotten potatoes to me...

Eddie would be the perfect man for the job (IMO he's the best coach around) but i hope this doesn't happen, the Reds need him bad.

With a good forwards coach along side him, England could cause alot of trouble for the top nations next year, he'd certainly get those backs of yours firing.

If i was a Reds fan i'd be pretty ****** he's even considering this given the Super14 season is only a few months away.

Latest posts