• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Tests: Australia vs. Italy (24/06/2017)

Highlights

Some nice tries from both sides and likely the best try I've seen Italy score in my puff. Also the best Italian performance under O'Shea even if the same defensive frailties showed. Notably they botched a try at the line and had a good try chalked off controversially so this scoreline was not a fluke.

I think O'Shea is rightly terrified of his 6N rivals (and the calls for Italy to be excluded) and so is playing "anti-rugby" against them to try and keep scores respectable. But against Fiji and Australia we saw much more ambiition - possibly as if he ended up with egg on his face he'd be on the other side of the world and in the middle of the morning on Italy when no-one was looking. Positives include:

- Boni / Campagnaro centre partnership showing promise. Far better than the dross of the past year.
- Mbanda and Padovani consistency, really cementing themselves as solid long term options.
- reasonable leadership without the experience heads of Parisse & Maclean (despite late slump in last two matches)
- improved performances and kicking from Tomasso Allan
- great wingers in Sarto and Venditti (would be good to play them together though as they are miles ahead of the alternatives)
- developing depth at scrum half with reasonable performances by 3rd and 4th choices.
- set piece and pack okay
-average age of squad lower than in the past.

Challenging for 6N wins will be a step beyond them in 2018, but they will not shame themselves. I expect them to be 10th in the world by this time next year if they can improve defensively.

Excited to see what Michael Bradley achieves at Zebre (although Crowley at Treviso remains a concern) and hopefully my misplaced optimism for last season comes true this year in the Pro12.

I agree. I think Italy looked like a decent side yesterday and a little more composure may have seen them nick it with 1 point in it and an extra man in the last 9mins.

It may be a controversial point, but I wonder if being without Parisse was actually a blessing? He remains Italy's best player, but he's not going to last forever and I often think he tries to do too much himself which doesn't always help the team. He'll obviously go straight back in to the team, but perhaps the performances without him will help to reduce the level of reliance on him?

What ever happened to Gonzalo Garcia? I thought he and Campagnaro were a good combination but he seems to have disappeared?

Garcia is now 32 or 33 and a player coach in lower league France last i heard. I also liked him but he'd have been too old for the RWC.

I agree on Parisse, he has been trying too hard (as underlined by "that" drop goal attempt). I am concerned we avoid a situation where he is an old man captaining at the RWC and again trying too hard and looking for play to be funnelled through him. I think it would be healthy to identify a captain for the future, make them co-captain and have Parisse mentor them.

That way you are looking to the future but also paying respect to Italy's finest servant.

Hang about, I've just read two posts that really made me go 'eh?' o_O

I also like what I've seen from Hunt at 12 but it's a very bold claim to suggest 'his passing game is quite possibly the best in the world ATM' based upon a couple of games. Very hyperbolic from you Toby? You're normally a lot more measured.

Also, can I challenge the idea that Kerevi is 'arguably the best centre in world rugby'? He's a good players, but I think that is somewhat premature. His top level experience is way too limited to make that kind of statement. Let's talk about it in a few years when we can make an informed judgment. :rolleyes:
Well tbf he has been the best center in SR this year. He has been an absolute standout in a generally underwhelming Reds side. I'd say he's certainly the form center in the SH, and I couldn't think of anyone from the NH who's been better, so that's why I made that claim.
I'd favour Hodge at 13 and Kerevi nailed on at 12
Other way around I think mate. Hodge is an excellent 12, Kerevi an excellent 13. Haven't really seen them the other way round before so not sure that'd be the best way to go.

Garcia is now 32 or 33 and a player coach in lower league France last i heard. I also liked him but he'd have been too old for the RWC.

I agree on Parisse, he has been trying too hard (as underlined by "that" drop goal attempt). I am concerned we avoid a situation where he is an old man captaining at the RWC and again trying too hard and looking for play to be funnelled through him. I think it would be healthy to identify a captain for the future, make them co-captain and have Parisse mentor them.

That way you are looking to the future but also paying respect to Italy's finest servant.

Yeah - that is the way to go re. Parisse I think.

I had no idea Garcia was that old!

Latest posts