• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Karmichael Hunt switching to AFL

S

Sneaki

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Karmichael Hunt to leave Broncos, NRL

Brisbane rugby league star Karmichael Hunt is switching to play Australian Rules with the new AFL franchise on the Gold Coast.

In an unprecedented cross-code switch, the Gold Coast outfit is to announce on Wednesday it plans to acquire Hunt, who comes off contract with the Broncos this season.

He will probably begin his new career in the VFL next year, with Gold Coast likely to play in that competition rather than the QAFL before joining the AFL as the 17th franchise in 2011.

It is believed to be the first time a rugby league international has switched to play Australian Rules at the elite level.

The move will intensify the fierce turf war between the strongest football codes in Australia, with rugby league in danger of suffering further raids on its most talented players, especially if Hunt makes a successful transition.

Fellow Test players Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Israel Folau are other obvious targets for AFL clubs.

Hunt played some Australian Rules as a schoolboy in Brisbane, attracting the attention of Queensland AFL scouts, before joining the Broncos as a 17-year-old in 2004.

The Auckland-born fullback has since played 10 State of Origin matches for Queensland and 11 Tests for Australia.

With Hunt's contract with the Broncos up at the end of the 2009 NRL season, the 22-year-old's future has been a hot topic in recent months.

He knocked back a $1.2 million three-year deal from the Broncos earlier this year and his manager David Riolo has been overseas looking at his options.

There had been speculation he could move to Japan to play rugby, but Hunt will make his shock code-switch announcement at a press conference on the Gold Coast at 10.30am Wednesday AEST.[/b]

Wow, didn't expect that at all. I wonder if the Gold Coast will get any of the other NRL players mentioned in the article.. Link

I can't see AFL really getting into the Gold Coast area. It certainly faces a tough battle to gain ground. I can see a full scale AFL vs NRL war coming out soon. AFL is clearly looking at NRL players and wants to expand to Western Sydney and the Gold Coast. The NRL also wants to expand to places like Perth and the Melbourne Storm are continuing to grow. It will be a massive competition for players, fans and resources. It should be interesting to see how it develops.

First Barnes to NSW now we have another turncoat.

Deadset, Andy Demtriou (CEO) probably offered him a couple of million to play just for some publicity, something the AFL never gets up here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 29 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Deadset, Andy Demtriou (CEO) probably offered him a couple of million to play just for some publicity, something the AFL never gets up here.[/b]
Dead right mate, this is bigger then the AFL signing a talented athlete. The new AFL team will now receive massive publicity leading up to their first game in a state where it is still largely a minority, and have rubbed dirt in the face of their closest rival code in the process. They won't be fazed if his skill level in the game doesn't justify the $1 million dollars they are said to be paying him a year. The AFL, my friends, have pulled off a masterstroke.

I laughed about this for about three hours, my god I hate AFL but I can't wait to see him playing it, going to be Hip Hop Hilarious.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jul 29 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 29 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Deadset, Andy Demtriou (CEO) probably offered him a couple of million to play just for some publicity, something the AFL never gets up here.[/b]
Dead right mate, this is bigger then the AFL signing a talented athlete. The new AFL team will now receive massive publicity leading up to their first game in a state where it is still largely a minority, and have rubbed dirt in the face of their closest rival code in the process. They won't be fazed if his skill level in the game doesn't justify the $1 million dollars they are said to be paying him a year. The AFL, my friends, have pulled off a masterstroke.
[/b][/quote]

It's funny watching Andy D pump 10's millions of dollars into the Gold Coast and West Sydney teams. The main difference between NRL and AFL expansion is that NRL listens to areas that want a team, AFL is putting teams in areas where they dont care about the game and the AFL will invest millions so those teams succeed while ignore AFL heartland Tasmania. Sydney Swans crowds are dropping big time and their TV ratings barely crack 80k now despite getting a shitload of coverage and every game live on FTA.

Looks like the mungo has been hit by too many shoulder chargers to be honest, pretty ridiculous...

Sounds like its all about:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Everyone has a price..."

P.s. Go Collingdale? Did I say that right? I always think that they bought a job lot of old Newcastle United soccer jerseys and cut the sleeves off...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jul 31 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
P.s. Go Collingdale? Did I say that right? I always think that they bought a job lot of old Newcastle United soccer jerseys and cut the sleeves off...[/b]
Aussie Rules people seem to largely think their game was created in the 1850's. Despite the fact they had a centenary anniversery about 10 years before the 150th anniversary, so yeah, as far as they are concerneed they are the original football so Newcastle stole their strips. ;)

Y'know, even I had an offer to play Aussie rules instead of Union...

For the Cardiff Double Blues. :huh: It has to be the most random leaflet anyone's given me, at half-time of the Blues v Scarlets too.

Latest posts