Karmichael Hunt switching to AFL

Discussion in 'NRL / Southern Hemisphere' started by Sneaki, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Sneaki

Sneaki Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    Wow, didn't expect that at all. I wonder if the Gold Coast will get any of the other NRL players mentioned in the article.. Link

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. William18

William18 Guest

I can't see AFL really getting into the Gold Coast area. It certainly faces a tough battle to gain ground. I can see a full scale AFL vs NRL war coming out soon. AFL is clearly looking at NRL players and wants to expand to Western Sydney and the Gold Coast. The NRL also wants to expand to places like Perth and the Melbourne Storm are continuing to grow. It will be a massive competition for players, fans and resources. It should be interesting to see how it develops.

4. QLD

QLD Guest

First Barnes to NSW now we have another turncoat.

Deadset, Andy Demtriou (CEO) probably offered him a couple of million to play just for some publicity, something the AFL never gets up here.

5. Wally

Wally Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Jul 29 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Dead right mate, this is bigger then the AFL signing a talented athlete. The new AFL team will now receive massive publicity leading up to their first game in a state where it is still largely a minority, and have rubbed dirt in the face of their closest rival code in the process. They won't be fazed if his skill level in the game doesn't justify the $1 million dollars they are said to be paying him a year. The AFL, my friends, have pulled off a masterstroke.

6. Woldog

Woldog Guest

I laughed about this for about three hours, my god I hate AFL but I can't wait to see him playing it, going to be Hip Hop Hilarious.

7. The next big thing, eh?

8. Woldog

Woldog Guest

Andrew Symonds will make the switch to Union soon.

9. smartcooky

smartcooky Guest

PUBLICITY STUNT

10. smartcooky

smartcooky Guest

11. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Overrated player for an average sport, match made in heaven.

P.S

Go Bombers.

12. QLD

QLD Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Jul 29 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Dead right mate, this is bigger then the AFL signing a talented athlete. The new AFL team will now receive massive publicity leading up to their first game in a state where it is still largely a minority, and have rubbed dirt in the face of their closest rival code in the process. They won't be fazed if his skill level in the game doesn't justify the $1 million dollars they are said to be paying him a year. The AFL, my friends, have pulled off a masterstroke.
    [/b][/quote]

It's funny watching Andy D pump 10's millions of dollars into the Gold Coast and West Sydney teams. The main difference between NRL and AFL expansion is that NRL listens to areas that want a team, AFL is putting teams in areas where they dont care about the game and the AFL will invest millions so those teams succeed while ignore AFL heartland Tasmania. Sydney Swans crowds are dropping big time and their TV ratings barely crack 80k now despite getting a shitload of coverage and every game live on FTA.

13. BLR

BLR Guest

Looks like the mungo has been hit by too many shoulder chargers to be honest, pretty ridiculous...

14. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Sounds like its all about:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vm4TG56KGZ4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"Everyone has a price..."

P.s. Go Collingdale? Did I say that right? I always think that they bought a job lot of old Newcastle United soccer jerseys and cut the sleeves off...

15. BLR

BLR Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jul 31 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Aussie Rules people seem to largely think their game was created in the 1850's. Despite the fact they had a centenary anniversery about 10 years before the 150th anniversary, so yeah, as far as they are concerneed they are the original football so Newcastle stole their strips. ;)

16. Hinch

Hinch Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Jul 29 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Luckily he's looking to work on his running endurance by...Playing Union in Japan for a couple of months.

Genius move.

17. Thingimubob

Thingimubob Guest

Y'know, even I had an offer to play Aussie rules instead of Union...

For the Cardiff Double Blues. :huh: It has to be the most random leaflet anyone's given me, at half-time of the Blues v Scarlets too.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!