• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kicking distance

C

coughas

After playing this game for a couple of weeks now - the kicking game is really ******* me off!

How did they not realise that players can kick futher than 20m in real life! Even the best kickers in Rugby 2005 can't kick past 30m...its a joke. Considering kicking in general play is such a major part of the real game its such an annoyance for it not to be translated well into the game.

It should be easier to kick the ball a long way quickly, easier to grubber quickly and effectively and there is not an option at all to simply chip and chase. The high bomb is completely crap....all over i dont think there is a good thing to say about kicking in the game.

just wanted a vent!

thanks

Press and hold sprint.

I find long kicks are in abundance when you do that (I got one from nearly 40 the other day.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Mar 20 2005, 10:06 PM
Press and hold sprint.

I find long kicks are in abundance when you do that (I got one from nearly 40 the other day.
nearly 40 thats still like 39 and lower! hmmmmmm
<

apparentley the kicking goes further in the sideview, although i cant play it like that as drop goals are nearly impossible from the side.

i cant perform any drops goals in classic 2, mind you , outside the 10m line.

it depends on the kicker... if it's a hooker, yep, it's gonna be hard, but if it's o'gahra...

about the long kick, i don't understand, because without pressing the sprint bouton, i can (easily) find lineouts in the opponent's territory when my fh is in his 22. and i do that with michalak, who is not the best kicker ever, but he's just good.

I find it a little embarrassing that people make such outlandish comments w/out going to friggin' practice level and reading their instruction booklet b4 playing.

Kicking is sweet - if you are not holding back at the last second, for one, you are already missong out on 5 metres....

OH! And for all the people who say, "they kick all the time....they kick all the time...etc etc....."

I am about to change the game for you.

TIP - choose a defensive play always - AND choose the one that corresponds with good tactics.

If you choose kick defense when they have to kick - you will field the ball. If they are outside of their 22 and you choose kick defense - you will either field the ball or force them to run. Note - good kicks will always beat you - this is realistic.

NOTE - when they have the ball - you can turn the ball over by choosing kick defense....!!!!!

My biggest tip would be this - Play it like proper rugby...tactically and emotionally.

I got to the semi-finals of the Super 12 on hard last night. Beat Highlanders in last round (the winner took fourth position - they were 4th and I was 5th)...they were beating me 20 - 7 at half time.....I gave myself a massive half-time telling off (lol! but true!! lol) and beat them 50-12!!!!

I was promptly knocked out at the semi-final stage by a rampant Brumbies team - 29-14.....

I love the challenge of hard - and I like the kicking (although I play SH style - you must kick on hard.....read the damn instruction booklet and you will spot the rule on getting caught in your own 22)....But mostly I implore you to learn how to play this game properly in terms of calling the tactics on defense - the CPU team does NOT kick all the time...unless you are not playing the game properly. IT IS A SIMULATION.

Originally posted by Los Lover@Mar 21 2005, 11:46 PM
I find it a little embarrassing that people make such outlandish comments w/out going to friggin' practice level and reading their instruction booklet b4 playing.

Kicking is sweet - if you are not holding back at the last second, for one, you are already missong out on 5 metres....

OH! And for all the people who say, "they kick all the time....they kick all the time...etc etc....."

TIP - choose a defensive play always - AND choose the one that corresponds with good tactics.

If you choose kick defense when they have to kick - you will field the ball. If they are outside of their 22 and you choose kick defense - you will either field the ball or force them to run. Note - good kicks will always beat you - this is realistic.

NOTE - when they have the ball - you can turn the ball over by choosing kick defense....!!!!!

My biggest tip would be this - Play it like proper rugby...tactically and emotionally.

I got to the semi-finals of the Super 12 on hard last night. Beat Highlanders in last round (the winner took fourth position - they were 4th and I was 5th)...they were beating me 20 - 7 at half time.....I gave myself a massive half-time telling off (lol! but true!! lol) and beat them 50-12!!!!

I was promptly knocked out at the semi-final stage by a rampant Brumbies team - 29-14.....

I love the challenge of hard - and I like the kicking (although I play SH style - you must kick on hard.....read the damn instruction booklet and you will spot the rule on getting caught in your own 22)....But mostly I implore you to learn how to play this game properly in terms of calling the tactics on defense - the CPU team does NOT kick all the time...unless you are not playing the game properly. IT IS A SIMULATION.
what view are you using here?

the main gripe seems to be that the kicking distance in the Sideways and Classic views are inconsistent?

Can someone also please confirm to me that drop goals also don't go very far at all in classic view?

yeah this is true. Go to practice mode and do free training and you'll see that your player can dropgoal from almost just at halfway on side view. But go into a match and you'll be lucky to hit one outside the 22

really???? on sideview i can get drop goals easy, with mehrtens or carter standing right in front of the posts, still 30-40m out in the pocket. but still easy
<
i only do it when its near the end of the game and i am having trouble getting over the line.

still i have tried to play classic or classic2 and i can't quite get the hang of it. i am gonna try that properly once i have mastered *cough* the hard LOL
<

cheers

A good kicker in Rugby can Kick the ball from one 22 to the other 22. Thats about 60 metres on the first bounce. This should be a possiblity at least.

Distance should be easy, direction should be hard (especially when you under pressure).

They should do the Kicking like JLR. Use an arrow for direction and strength but make the control of the arrow hard. For example if you move the analogue stick too much then your direction will be crap but get it right you are rewarded.

I would also like to see a chip over the top with the player still running at full speed.

they were beating me 20 - 7 at half time.....I gave myself a massive half-time telling off (lol! but true!! lol) and beat them 50-12!!!!
HOW!!! the ref must hav heard u tellin ur team off 2 so he took 8 points off the highlanders m8!!! haha did u bribe him and the stadium officials???

Originally posted by cavan@Mar 22 2005, 07:32 AM
yeah this is true. Go to practice mode and do free training and you'll see that your player can dropgoal from almost just at halfway on side view. But go into a match and you'll be lucky to hit one outside the 22
i can drop goal it easy using wilkinson from 38m out

and i find it a little embarrassing when people respond to a post with absolutely no relevance to the original question. My original gripe was concerned with kicking distance NOT about the computer AI kicking all the time. My comments were not embarrassing nor outlandish in any sense so please read a post before responding it such a patronising manner.

Hmm Try kicking with Mehrts, i can get kicks from my 22 to the opposition 22 with him, not very often, but my usual clearances go to about halfway.

kicking for territory is great in this game to me, I often kick even when in their half.

yeah i can kick from my 22 to about mid way between the 22 and 10m line so i don't see anything wrong with that. its about a normal kick. you don't want to kick it to far, they don't really do that to often anyway but it does happen i know.

i can clear it from my 22 to the 10m their territory easy on the full so i think thats pretty realistic!

drop goals and that are easy on side view so thats cool i have no problem with that, havn't used classic as i said but will later on.

i think tactical kicking like that is about normal and don't see what the fuss is about

all good

i take it all you guys are using sideview for your big kicks. Try doing it pn classic view...

Latest posts