• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kicking Tee? (SA vs Tonga)

K

Karmabass

Just watching the match now and noticed something odd, SAND is being used to hold the ball for place kicks?! Why is this? Did they run out of tee's..?

its a prefential choice, some gk prefer using sand, not many though.

perhaps the most famous example of this is neil jenkins.

what the hell? how does that work? they bring out a bag and make a mini mound? i ll have to see some youtube coverage of that LOL

A mound of sand can hold a ball however a kicker places it on there, whereas a tee cannot.

It was far more common for this to happen in Rugby League years ago.

this is pretty old school apart from the digging up the dirt with your heels trick lol im pretty sure pretorius copied that japanese dude in the 03 WC (i think) where he lines up the sand towards the goal post, neat trick

Just watching the match now and noticed something odd, SAND is being used to hold the ball for place kicks?! Why is this? Did they run out of tee's..? [/b]

Check out video coverage from the Final match of last year's Tri Nations. The one where NZ lost to the Boks. Since it pretty much was a kick for penalty game, Pretorius kept piling on the sand. Hope that helped

this is pretty old school apart from the digging up the dirt with your heels trick lol im pretty sure pretorius copied that japanese dude in the 03 WC (i think) where he lines up the sand towards the goal post, neat trick [/b]
yeah, except pretorious appeared to be pointing his line in the wrong direction judging by the number of kicks he missed :p

Ever since making his debut for Transvaal (now Lions) back in 2000, and his Bok debut in 2002, using sand in stead of the kicking tee has been Pretorius` preference. As has been kicking with a left to right "fade" instead of the normal right to left "draw" that most right-footed kickers prefer. Too bad he seemed to forget packing his compass for the RWC tough....

Sand is much more moudable than a plastic tea. Although I'm not encouraging amateur sculpture or anything like that, its handy for getting the ball to sit in the way you want. Plus if you kick part of the sand its less likely to make you scuff your kick than if you accidently clip the tee.

<div align="center">
istockphoto_3838034_rugby_ball_for_kick_off.jpg

0311sand200.jpg

Also found this article

http://www.rwc2003.irb.com/EN/Tournament/T...411+the+tee.htm

_474234_neil_jenkins300.jpg

</div>

<div class='quotemain'> this is pretty old school apart from the digging up the dirt with your heels trick lol im pretty sure pretorius copied that japanese dude in the 03 WC (i think) where he lines up the sand towards the goal post, neat trick [/b]
yeah, except pretorious appeared to be pointing his line in the wrong direction judging by the number of kicks he missed :p
[/b][/quote]

Err.. yeah. That was some absolutely horrible kicking. Why they didn't change Frans Steyn to kicker the moment he came on is still a mystery to me. Or even Ruan Pienaar.