• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kicking Tees

D

Dragon Fanatic

Which one do you fins most proficient, and how do you set up your ball?

I use the big Yellow NRL tees and have the ball standing upright. When i set up i never ever kick the seams.

I use any tee that is high enough off the ground. I set the ball up standing upright but slightly lean it back towards me. If the goal posts are on my right hand side I will also lean the ball slightly to the right and vice versa.

Nothing wrong with the ol' sand.

Just use my Avaro tee which I got 2 years ago

Originally posted by Wally@Jun 30 2004, 03:09 PM
I use any tee that is high enough off the ground. I set the ball up standing upright but slightly lean it back towards me. If the goal posts are on my right hand side I will also lean the ball slightly to the right and vice versa.
You must get mega height with the ball up high and leaning towards you? That would be a killer for distance though, you would get barely any I would think..? I use a tee low to the ground, seen similar styles used by David Hill, Jonny Wilkinson etc, low with 4 spikes holding the ball up. I have the ball leaning slightly forward but basically upright, just depends on your style of kicking

I think Matt Burke used to kick like that. It's good for accuracy but personally I'm flat out kicking anything over 35m+

Yeah its just a personal thing you have to develop, I think my biggest kick in a game was something like a 44m penalty, that was about my stretch last year, could probably work myself toward 50m with proper training, I think my immediate distance is just that I am tall and have power in my legs a.k.a. John Eales

Right now I don't have a kicking tee to practice my place kicking so I use grass. Believe it or not this can hold the ball up right properly. I'm having trouble getting the height though. Whenever i get the distance I don't have height and whenever I have height I don't have distance. Should the tee make a difference? or is it just there to hold the ball in place? What do I do to get the better kick?

Hmmm. To get more distance try a bigger run up. But it sound to me you need a marking cone tee. They are $2 down here. You know the cones you use to mark out the field or a training drill? You can seriously use these as they are really good for distance and height but you must practice alot to get accuracy.

mc001.jpg

Just one of those

Still, they're not exactly ideal. I find they're not as accurate as say the rugby league kicking tee.

The 'Jonny Wilkinson' style low blue ones are what I use. You don't want the ball too high up, just so that it is out of the grass and easier to kick. High tees were ok for the old style place kick restarts.

Or you could, like Jonny Wilkinson (last year I think) lose your tee and get 5/5 off the turf.

or you could have a nervous breakdown at the sight of 15 Big Islanders whos soul purpose is too scare the **** out of you

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 6 2004, 11:05 PM
or you could have a nervous breakdown at the sight of 15 Big Islanders whos soul purpose is too scare the **** out of you
I don't think Iv'e ever seen a successful conversion charge down.

I have, John Eales turned it into an Art Form.

Against Samoa at the RWC last year Jonny was having a nervous fit when kicking, you shouldve seen his feet.

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 6 2004, 11:10 PM
I have, John Eales turned it into an Art Form.

Against Samoa at the RWC last year Jonny was having a nervous fit when kicking, you shouldve seen his feet.
lol Krazy legs Wilkinson.

Seen some bloody close ones, David Hill and Louis Koen are the ones i remember, people flying past, and the kicks went between the players' arms and body.. both kicks went over as well, both from the sideline, pretty flash kicks really, I think the point is more to put the kicker off and make them hurry more than anything

Latest posts