• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Knock Ons

F

funksoulbrother

there had better not still be those random knock ons that happen all the time for no reason like they had in 05

I didnt think they were all that bad to be honest and at least they did seem connected to the stats in that the poorer teams poor passing and knock ons were far more frequent than the better teams.

They obviously have to be random to an extent otherwise they would either happen all the time or not at all. There has to be a random element every time someone catches a ball to see if they will knock on or not.

The job is to get the balance right.

Other factors could be added in though.

For example, if they have a defender right in their face. Or if they are on bad form. Or if they have taken some big hits in the match earlier. Or if the team is under pressure.

It's that sort of thing which differentiates between a game, and a simulation. I'm trying to say that without sounding too anal.

There was an option to reduce or increase knock ons in R2005 in the same menu as injuries and fatigue etc .

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 16 2005, 02:13 AM
Other factors could be added in though.

For example, if they have a defender right in their face. Or if they are on bad form. Or if they have taken some big hits in the match earlier. Or if the team is under pressure.

It's that sort of thing which differentiates between a game, and a simulation. I'm trying to say that without sounding too anal.
I see what your saying, but then again would we really ever notice if things like that were implemented ? I mean to be honest even if they said " yeah thats all in " It wouldnt be something we could shoot them down on because theres never any way of telling on something like that.

We will never know the reason a player dropped the ball, just the fact he did.

I agree. I found the knock ons to be just fine with the game.

Found myself yelling at the tv "oh you ********" just like the times when I'm at a live match.

in a video game a player should only knock the ball on if he gets a big hit like in JLR - if you tried to offload the ball you were more likely to knock it on (even though it didnt count
<

A player shouldnt ctach the ball and then just drop it through no fult of yours

Originally posted by funksoulbrother@Dec 16 2005, 05:58 AM
in a video game a player should only knock the ball on if he gets a big hit like in JLR - if you tried to offload the ball you were more likely to knock it on (even though it didnt count
<

A player shouldnt ctach the ball and then just drop it through no fult of yours
I can totally see what you're getting at but I still disagree.

Granted, it shouldn't happen all the time, especially in a clutch situation (last 10 minutes), but I think the random knock ons make it more realistic - provided it doesn't happen every 30 seconds.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Dec 15 2005, 07:56 PM
Granted, it shouldn't happen all the time, especially in a clutch situation (last 10 minutes), but I think the random knock ons make it more realistic - provided it doesn't happen every 30 seconds.
Agreed.

Real players sometimes drop clangers, and this should be reflected in the game. Yes, it's annoying, but that's the whole point, and is the beauty of sport.

Obviously real players drop clangers, but they are more likely to knock on when under pressure receiving a pass.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Dec 16 2005, 06:22 AM
I agree. I found the knock ons to be just fine with the game.

Found myself yelling at the tv "oh you ********" just like the times when I'm at a live match.
<
me too capts, me too

the only real time where i found knock-ons to be unacceptable was from catching a kick. i can remember in one match, they would kick it, my flanker would jump for it, (krege in world league), and knock it on, EVERY time. other than that, it was good...

I didnt mind the game, The knock ons werent a problem, although HB could put more emphasis on it. I did notice however if you werte holding the sprint button down before you got the ball you would knock it on sometimes(could mean a player is focusing on something else instead of the ball).

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Dec 16 2005, 08:31 AM
Obviously real players drop clangers, but they are more likely to knock on when under pressure receiving a pass.
Very true.

But that's where I think the video game aspect should come to the fore and if the team wins or loses then it's my fault. Decision making etc.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Dec 16 2005, 05:22 AM
You yell at TVs when you're at a live match?

Originally posted by captainamerica+Dec 16 2005, 11:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Dec 16 2005, 11:05 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-lazy_chesnut
@Dec 16 2005, 08:31 AM
Very true.

But that's where I think the video game aspect should come to the fore and if the team wins or loses then it's my fault. Decision making etc. [/b]
That's what I'm saying though cap'n.

If you pass to a marked man then yuo're more likely to cause a knock on. Surely this is fairer than random knock-ons.....?

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut+Dec 16 2005, 01:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lazy_chesnut @ Dec 16 2005, 01:35 PM)</div>
Originally posted by captainamerica@Dec 16 2005, 11:05 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-lazy_chesnut
@Dec 16 2005, 08:31 AM

Very true.

But that's where I think the video game aspect should come to the fore and if the team wins or loses then it's my fault. Decision making etc.
That's what I'm saying though cap'n.

If you pass to a marked man then yuo're more likely to cause a knock on. Surely this is fairer than random knock-ons.....? [/b]
It should maybe be taken into account, but as with every other kind of factor it would have to only be a very slight chance or it would happen too regular.

Knock ons happen sometimes and as I said before I think the frequency in R2005 was fine. I certainly cant remember thinking while playing " ANOTHER knock on ? " so it cant have been that bad.

You would be gutted if you did one close to your own line or their line but thats what its all about.

I feel a whole lot better about R2005, knock on's and all, after a certain recent League release.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Dec 16 2005, 11:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Dec 16 2005, 11:08 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Dec 16 2005, 05:22 AM
You yell at TVs when you're at a live match? [/b]
Damn straight. The eyes aren't so good anymore, I end up watching the jumbotron.

Check out the rack on the blonde in row 3.

Latest posts