• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Larkham - Edinburgh!

W

Warriors#1

Was reading the paper today and i read that Larkham had admitted that the Edinburgh deal was over!

I not sure if this is newspaper hype or if its fianl! If anyone from Edinburgh or anyone has defient proof or have heard the same thing!

Please Post Here!

Was reading the paper today and i read that Larkham had admitted that the Edinburgh deal was over!

I not sure if this is newspaper hype or if its fianl! If anyone from Edinburgh or anyone has defient proof or have heard the same thing!

Please Post Here!
[/b]

Indeed, it seems that Larkham doesn't wish to wait anymore... And I can understand him!

Here is the link of the Edinburgh Rugby site with their annouce that they broke their contract with Larkham.
http://www.scottishrugby.org/sru/pro-rugby...8C-E8BFFA29F8C7

This whole story is a real shame, most of all for the SRU... :wall:

I feel sorry for Stephen Larkham. He was promised a nice juicy retirement check from the SRU which he wholeheartedly deserved and now its gone.

He needs somewhere to go after the RWC. Hopefully an offer in the same league as the SRU one will be tabled.

he said he had settled in edinburgh and wanted to stay there...

...the comute to Glasgow aint bad! ;)

Yes, coming to Glasgow would be good! Doubt it tough! I also had heard that Leeds were interested! We'll just have to wait and see!

Well more poor management from the SRU. Again, shows that they're far more inclined to throw the cash at Glasgow now. Larkham would have been a great signing, and who knows? The SRU may have recieved some credit for the move! But, yet again, McKie and his money men let the fans down. I think he'd be happy if no decent standard of rugby was played in this country, yet he still got to count the pennies.

A potential major coup which would have really done wonders for rugby in this country, but again McKie has let Scotland down.

Yes

Altough i am a bit happy because he cant do any damage against Glasgow but more upset due to brillance of the player! the Glasgow - Edinburgh derby would have been a game to remember as Larkham is a world class player!

Unlucky Edinburgh!

I feel sorry for Stephen Larkham. He was promised a nice juicy retirement check from the SRU which he wholeheartedly deserved and now its gone.

He needs somewhere to go after the RWC. Hopefully an offer in the same league as the SRU one will be tabled.
[/b]

He wasn't promised anything by the SRU, it was the Carruthers that promised him the contract.

Then the deeds were handed to the SRU and because they're 30 million in debt, they can't afford it.

Does the SRU have any legal problems with 3rd party payments of players?

Surely a big name like Larkham (which would have been a very effective way to increase rugby exposure and crowd attendances) could have warranted interest from a local sponsor, interested in creating a buzz for the game?

I can very easily understand why the SRU decided not to pursue the previous deal set out by the Curruthers, the bottom line simply doesn't allow it. How could you justify that kind of investment, whilst being burdened with that kind of debt, and without knowing that it would generate a return?!

But, if a 3rd party sponsor who was not hindered by the massive debt shackling the SRU was to step in... It has worked for the Western Force in the Super14 with the signing of Matt Giteau, Nathan Sharpe and Drew Mitchell (although they're now in trouble for the way they've done it) so it could also have worked for Edinburgh. Surely they were still in the best position to offer him a contract after Larkham had stated how keen he was to make the move to Edinburgh, and had taken a paycut (compared to other European clubs) to do so.

But I think as dissapointing as losing the Larkham signing is, the SRU and scotland rugby is going to have to be patient with its attempts to grow the game. Some solid form and crowd numbers in the Magners league would be a good start.

After all the trouble in the past it's very ambitious to think that things will turn around overnight. But things are definitely looking up.

i recieved an email a couple of weeks ago inviting me to sponsor a Glasgow player for £750 +VAT, with your companys logo appearing beside their name in the programs, a signed match shirt presented to the company and the player going to visit your headquarters. i suspect with a player of Larkhams quality companys would be bending over backwards for him?

Yeah exactly. I was thinking more in the range of hundreds of thousands of sponorship money though.

In the Gitieau et al case, players were offered representative roles in the sponsors' company (similar to what you're suggesting above).

The benefit to the sponsor is in the massive coup that would be caused in the local region (by having a world class player on the books) and the fact that the team would become more competitive. People love supporting a winner, and im sure scots are no different.

Infact, its fair to say that Larkham would probably have been the shrewdest signing that could have been made really.

One of the worlds best and most winning players, in the most high profile and important position on the field.

At least, from what you're saying above, the Glasgow marketing team are proactive in furthering the team.

i realise that the sums wouldnt really work, i was using it more as an example that its a scheme the SRU are prepared to do (with Glasgow at least)

yeah and with the new signings for Glasgow it seems to have been really good for us! No dubt you would be able to find some big companies in Edinburgh happy to sponser Larkham! Real shame!

He's in talks, but nothing concrete. Can't really see it to be honest, when he signed for Edinburgh he said it was because the club, at the time, had ambition and looked to be trying to get somewhere and the fact Edinburgh is actually a nice place to live. I don't think signing for a club who get the least funding from their union and who are consistantly at the wrong end of the table is something he'd be interested in. He also admitted the money wasn't the most important thing and I hardly think Newport compares to Edinburgh as a place to live.

well the Cardiff's always an option :p It's a decent team, some nice places to live in and around Cardiff, great schools (get to learn a new language as well, that's gotta count for something!) But, no offence to Nicky, who has his great moments, Cardiff do need a no.10 who can marshal the back line more clinicaly and effectively. ATM, Scarlets have Stephen Jones, Ospreys have James Hook, Dragons have Ceri Sweeney, though if you ask me - Aled Thomas (the u-20's and sevens fly half) is better. Ah well, Nicky's good enough for now.

He's in talks, but nothing concrete. Can't really see it to be honest, when he signed for Edinburgh he said it was because the club, at the time, had ambition and looked to be trying to get somewhere and the fact Edinburgh is actually a nice place to live. I don't think signing for a club who get the least funding from their union and who are consistantly at the wrong end of the table is something he'd be interested in. He also admitted the money wasn't the most important thing and I hardly think Newport compares to Edinburgh as a place to live. [/b]

He could always commute to Newport if he lived in Cardiff! There are also some nice places in Newport but they are few and far between, Newport are also supported by a business man who will splash the cash if the player is good enough.

As to say that Newport does not have the ambition that Edinburugh has is poor man, and I mean poor! Newport have allot of ambition and they strife to do well with what they have got! Theres some good young talent coming through the ranks there and a player of Larkams quality would be immense down there!

The club might have ambition, but the WRU seemingly don't want to fund it.

Latest posts