• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Latest Rugby Rankings

LiRFCMatt

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Irish
Do England Deserve To Be Ranked Higher Than Ireland?

I have seen a lot of controversy surrounding this topic and thought this would be a great area for us to air our opinions!

The following is the conclusion to the article I wrote here: http://fourballsblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/do-england-deserve-to-be-ranked-higher.html

To be honest, it doesn't really matter. People are getting worked up over nothing, but it is helping to fuel the hype before the game. Everything will be settled on March 1st, with the English looking to secure a vital victory away at the AVIVA and the Irish looking to assert themselves as the third, possibly second best team in the world. It will be a passionate contest and the more build-up we get to it the better it is as far as I'm concerned, flaring tempers and harsh banter will make this one of the biggest games of the year, even with the World Cup coming up.

In the last 4 6nations it's a championship a piece, apart from the year they won (last year fair enough that count for a fair bit) we've finished higher than them and we've beaten them on the last three occasions.

Interestingly both sides lost to the other side the year they won.

Anyone know what their respective positions are against SH opposition(Aus, SA & NZ) in that timeframe?

The points put them about equal with England just edging it...probably a fair reflection.

Do England Deserve To Be Ranked Higher Than Ireland?

I guess the question has now been answered by what is an Irish side certainly having gained my respect (fear).

Anyway, this 6N is building nicely towards the RWC now with 1, 2, 3 and 4 all in different pools though pool A is without a doubt one ridiculous pool of death what with having all of no.4, 5 and 6 (as of the current rankings) in it thanks to Wales sending a C team to Japan before the draw and not getting any luck in the actual draw itself.

I guess the question has now been answered by what is an Irish side certainly having gained my respect (fear).

Anyway, this 6N is building nicely towards the RWC now with 1, 2, 3 and 4 all in different pools though pool A is without a doubt one ridiculous pool of death what with having all of no.4, 5 and 6 (as of the current rankings) in it thanks to Wales sending a C team to Japan before the draw and not getting any luck in the actual draw itself.

Yeah, Ireland couldn't pip 2nd spot from SA, but it is clearly very close in quality between the 5 behind NZ, and dare I say at risk of being slaughtered by some Kiwis that NZ really aren't that far ahead in terms of quality right now, and will need to be on top form come the RWC.

Latest posts