• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Latham out for the season(maybe WC)

T

The TRUTH

Latham could miss World Cup

SYDNEY: Australia's rugby World Cup hopes have suffered a major setback after fullback Chris Latham seriously injured his knee in training, leaving him doubtful for the tournament.

Latham, who was officially named as Australia's best international player last season, tore his anterior cruciate ligament at a Queensland training session over the weekend.

He will require a full knee reconstruction, ruling him out of the entire Super 14 season and leaving him in a race against time to be ready for the World Cup, starting in France in early September.

"We haven't got the full picture yet," Australia coach John Connolly said today.

"We have got six months, so we have to make sure we find the best rehab for him and get him back on deck but these things do take time.

"It happened on Saturday the day after he'd had a three-day camp at the AIS with us. We've got to get a full report out of it to understand exactly what happened."

Latham, 31, has been a key member of the Wallabies since making his test debut in 1998.

He is Australia's second highest tryscorer, behind David Campese, and holds the national record for the most tries in a single international after crossing five times in the Wallabies' 142-0 demolition of Namibia at the 2003 World Cup.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Huge blow for the Reds and (more than likely) Australia's campaigns this year.

Who's gonna replace him if he cant make it?

Shepherd
Gerrard
SNK
Mitchell
Hewat
Huxley
Schifcofske

??????

Sheps did an ok job with AUS A during the november tour. Dont know if Clinton is really up to playing FB at interenational (union) level. I'm biased towards Hewat but in reality hes not that quick (comparatively) and he never seems to be in the Wallaby selectors sights.
Sheps and/or Mitchell, depending on S14 performance.

Well Connolly is fuming about this...

He suffered the injury during a practice match @ Reds training when he was meant to be one of the 22 RPA group supposedly staying out of all contact work before the Super14.

Fark you Eddie!!

There's still a decent chance he'll be back before the RWC, Latham said today that he thinks that he will recover by July...... sounds like wishful thinking to me.

But you never know, i remember Larkham,Eales and Horan all had serious injuries in the lead up to the 99 RWC and look how they recovered.

Yeah, I remember that terrible day. Larkham carted off on a stretcher! Just months out from the Cup, it was terrible, but he recovered.

There are still plenty of replacements though... one you didn't have on your list Truth was Adam AC.

A real shame to see Latham go down, genuine match winner there. We too had "miracle" recoveries in Zinzan Brooke and Justin Marshall, it does happen...

Latham is a big loss but he does have a long time to recover before the world cup. I would have thought though that of all of the players that the Wallabies could lose there is adequate cover for him. Obviously it is tough to totally replace him as he is one of the best fullback in world rugby at the moment.

How about Gerrard playing at number fifteen? I would think that he would be the obvious replacement.

Latham is a big loss but he does have a long time to recover before the world cup. I would have thought though that of all of the players that the Wallabies could lose there is adequate cover for him. Obviously it is tough to totally replace him as he is one of the best fullback in world rugby at the moment.

How about Gerrard playing at number fifteen? I would think that he would be the obvious replacement.
[/b]

The problem with Gerrard is that he'll more than likely play most of his rugby on the wing this season.The Brumbies will no doubt go for either Huxley or AAC @ 15 as it balances the side and allows them to play all of their best players in the starting XV.

If Latham isn't right for the RWC then my money would be on either Shep or Mitchell, whoever gets the nod @ 15 for the Force this year.

<div class='quotemain'>
There are still plenty of replacements though... one you didn't have on your list Truth was Adam AC.
[/b]

And for good reason too :D
[/b][/quote]
Okay, but remeber AAC has played Test matches albeit 20 minutes of test!!! :bleh!:

tough one, i dont think larkham will be back usually it takes 8-12 months recovery time.. but you never know.

Latham reckon he is good chance to make RWC

But if he doesnt

Watch Clinton Shif have a great season in QLD, and take the honours

Trust me..............its not a biased comment or view.........he was the #1 FB statistically in RL the last few seasons, with only Minichello having better FB stats for 1 of the years

These FB stats comprise of..........Kick return meters, Bombs defused, Tackles, Missed Tackles, line-breaks, kick returns, tackles broken etc

Shif is a machine of consistency............he has taken the FB of the year in RL recently, only to have the usual incumbants in Minichello always take the #1 jersery...Hunt came in because of Lockyer combo.

and yes he can adapt to union........like Rogers, like Tiquiri...in fact i wont hesitate to say Shif is a better athlete/player then Rogers...he can do everything better than Rogers except maybe with agility, darting and weaving, but he is much stronger than Rogers, can kick better (garaunteed), can pass better, can do everything better.......rogers was winger in League FFS.....Shif was a FB, come in 5/8th (fly half) on the last few tackles.......thus the balls skills are abundant.

The reason why Shif only has 2 SOO appearances is due to Lockyer #1, and Shif on the wing wouldnt work when u have Hodges, Rogers, Tiquiri Sailor (of course this is going back years)

If Knuckles is blowing up at the release of Rogers......it is clear it was perceived that Rogers was second choice FB....that being assumed, I cant see Gerrard, Mitchell getting in, when Shif is a better athlete/player in rugby League than Matty Rogers will ever be.

Obviously S14 form will depict the outcome..............IMO Shif will have a stellar year especially now he has the opportunity to shine at #15 in QLD with Latham gone........I just hope the ARU dont go all "oh he's a league boy with no international experience we cant pick him" stance

And yes Shif has Union background during his career aswell....he wont be a fish out of water in this game - ala Wendell Sailor

tough one, i dont think larkham will be back usually it takes 8-12 months recovery time.. but you never know.
[/b]

That's the perfect possible recovery time, it won't happen. As we've seen time and time again in North American sports, guys don't recover properly in under 12 months. And then on top of that they don't play anywhere near their top game for another year after that. So, yes a major blow to Australia and it's a shame because he's the only Aussie player ever that I haven't hated.

ak47 could you post a link to his stats?

and i think schif would just have to work on the ruck/maul and maybe buildnig up some deception skills like rogers

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

The problem with Gerrard is that he'll more than likely play most of his rugby on the wing this season.The Brumbies will no doubt go for either Huxley or AAC @ 15 as it balances the side and allows them to play all of their best players in the starting XV.

If Latham isn't right for the RWC then my money would be on either Shep or Mitchell, whoever gets the nod @ 15 for the Force this year.
[/b][/quote]
well gerrard did play fullback at school boy level. i think gerrard would be a better fullback than winger.

ak47 could you post a link to his stats?

and i think schif would just have to work on the ruck/maul and maybe buildnig up some deception skills like rogers
[/b]

will try.........hang on

EDIT: - got nothing.............apart from individual match stats there doesnt seem to be a home for his career stats........after leaving league it as though they have scrapped his record

he got NRL Fullback of the year 2006..............thats pretty much all i can find apart from match reports etc.

big loss!...latham is the man!....i only watch the reds play becoz of him...

well gerrard did play fullback at school boy level. i think gerrard would be a better fullback than winger.
[/b]

You see, I don't think Gerrard is as good a fullback as everyone is making him out to be. He played a few matches there for the Brumbies - in 2005 I think and he didn't play well at all. AAC came in to the side and he was much better at FB while Gerrard began his domination again on the wing. I think Sheperd, Shif or Mitchell would be the best for FB should Latham be unavailable.

You could of course trial Larkham there again along with Huxley as well....

Gotta feel for Gerrard. I think his kicking game lets him down at full back and his position at wing is a question mark depending on who his opposing rival is as his lack of speed is always a question mark against the kiwi backs.

I think Cameron Shepherd should be the first choice.

Latest posts