• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Laws: picking ball out of ruck

JonnyA

Academy Player
Hi all
Q. Who besides the half back(#9) can dig and pick the ball out of a ruck. ??
A player who is in/ bound to the ruck cannot, that I understand but can any other player,not part of the ruck,step in and start digging the ball out.?? What's the rules here??

Also when is the picker able to be tackled.

I believe any person can be the nominated halfback, say the actual 9 jersey is at the bottom of the ruck, only one though, can't have several people going for it with the hands

Part of the problem for me is how is that person not part of the ruck if standing over the ball digging it out... reaching in and getting the ball before it's clear of the ruck....surely that's hands in the ruck. I often see "half backs" doing this.

My understanding is as follows :

1. A player making a tackle can put his hands on the ball before the ruck is formed (ie before there is contact with a teammate of the tackled player) so long as he is on his feet, ie supporting his body weight off the ground.

2. Once this player has his hands on the ball, he can keep his hands on the ball.

3. After the ruck has formed, noone else can touch the ball.

4. If the first man to the tackle (see 1) picks the ball up, then it becomes a maul, and opposition players can take the ball off that man.

5. If the first man to the tackle (see 1) does not pick the ball up, then nobody in the ruck can pick the ball up until it is out of the ruck.

6. if a player is not a part of the ruck, then he can pick the ball up, but must come from behind the back foot of the maul or will be offside.

that's really the whole point of the ruck, ie to push the opposition off it until the point where a player who is not formed in the ruck can get their hands on it.

I stand to be corrected mind you !

NB - References to "he" can also be read as "she" where applicable.

1. A player making a tackle can put his hands on the ball before the ruck is formed (ie before there is contact with a teammate of the tackled player) so long as he is on his feet, ie supporting his body weight off the ground.

2. Once this player has his hands on the ball, he can keep his hands on the ball.

4. If the first man to the tackle (see 1) picks the ball up, then it becomes a maul, and opposition players can take the ball off that man.

5. If the first man to the tackle (see 1) does not pick the ball up, then nobody in the ruck can pick the ball up until it is out of the ruck.

6. if a player is not a part of the ruck, then he can pick the ball up, but must come from behind the back foot of the maul or will be offside.

that's really the whole point of the ruck, ie to push the opposition off it until the point where a player who is not formed in the ruck can get their hands on it.

Hi
Thanks for that, I've since learnt..
If the competition for the ball in the ruck is over and ball is available then a player, not part of the ruck and behind the last feet, can go in and dig the ball out.
Makes so much sense now.
I'm guessing only once the ball leaves the ruck that player is able to be tackled.
All sounds so obvious now.

Hi
Thanks for that, I've since learnt..
If the competition for the ball in the ruck is over and ball is available then a player, not part of the ruck and behind the last feet, can go in and dig the ball out.
Makes so much sense now.
I'm guessing only once the ball leaves the ruck that player is able to be tackled.
All sounds so obvious now.

Well you could have learned that from my answer above (see point 6) to your question, but it' reassuring to know that you had already learned it from another source.

I think you need to add to point 6 that the r ball is out of the ruck, I.e. not under anyone's feet that is part of the ruck.

Also, I believe the rules now say that if everyone is collapsed on the ground but the ball can be dug out by a player then it can only be done so by the player in the team which is deemed to have one the ruck. Previously the law was that there would be a scrum but because refs never ruled that way I think they changed the law

Latest posts