• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Legend Dies

S

sambãd5

<!--QuoteBegin-By Mike Collett-White
+http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm?storyid=0008D295-20C4-14B4-8F9983027AF1010E--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (By Mike Collett-White
@ http://www.nzherald.co.nz/search/story.cfm...9983027AF1010E)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Pink Floyd co-founder Syd Barrett dies

10.00am Wednesday July 12, 2006
By Mike Collett-White

LONDON - Syd Barrett, the troubled founding member of Pink Floyd, has died aged 60, after living the life of a recluse for the last 30 years.

"The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death," Pink Floyd said in a statement today.

"Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

A source close to the band, who did not want to be named, said Barrett died on Saturday. Media reports say complications from diabetes were the cause.

Barrett's bizarre on-stage antics in the late 1960s were linked to his experimentation with psychedelic drugs, and he left the band in 1968.

The singer, songwriter and guitarist, who wrote the bulk of Pink Floyd's earliest music, has been credited with helping shape its progressive sound and influencing artists including David Bowie.

He wrote most of the songs on Pink Floyd's first album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, which was a hit in Britain, and also worked on A Saucerful of Secrets, released in 1968.

Barrett issued his first solo album, The Madcap Laughs, in 1970, with backing from members of Pink Floyd and Soft Machine, but his involvement in music had ended by the mid-1970s and he has lived the life of a recluse ever since.

Pink Floyd's 1975 track Shine On You Crazy Diamond, from the album Wish You Were Here, is widely believed to be a tribute to Barrett.

There were words of praise for a man who missed out on Pink Floyd's most successful years in the 1970s, when they made Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

The band went on to tell an estimated 200 million albums worldwide, although internal rifts have kept public performances featuring its main members to a minimum since the 1980s.

"I can't tell you how sad I feel," Bowie said on his website www.davidbowie.com.

"Syd was a major inspiration for me. His impact on my thinking was enormous. A major regret is that I never got to know him. A diamond indeed."

Barrett's biographer Tim Willis said Barrett struggled with mental breakdown during his life.

"I think he had trouble talking to people and was very happy with his own company," Willis told Reuters. "The painful experience of protracted nervous breakdown meant he did not want to know about that bit of his life."

Willis blamed a combination of drugs and stress for Barrett's mental fragility. "In one sense he only lived half a life. His career was over by 1971, if not 1969."

Graham Coxon, formerly of British band Blur, said Barrett was a major influence.

"The music is there ... a door he left unlocked ... spend time there .... it's good," Coxon said.

Barrett was born in Cambridge, England, as Roger Keith Barrett, in 1946. He acquired the nickname "Syd" as a teenager.[/quote]

I'm literally gutted. What a sad day. I know who's music I'll be playing big time this weekend.

One of the few who (even during his time) was really exploring the outer limits of music.

I'm quite shocked to be honest. :cryy: :cryy: :cryy:

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Jul 12 2006, 11:54 AM
I'm literally gutted. What a sad day. I know who's music I'll be playing big time this weekend.

One of the few who (even during his time) was really exploring the outer limits of music.

I'm quite shocked to be honest. :cryy: :cryy: :cryy:
Yeah it is a sad day....I know someone who will be even more shocked and thats Mr Andrew Horton He is like the biggest pink floyd fan i know

True, Andrew is the reclusive TRF member who hardly ever rears his head on the forum, and is just about as introverted as Syd sometimes. He owns everything Syd ever did, (3 solo albums along with all his Pink Floyd stuff).

I spoke to him at lunchtime on the phone, and he sounded almost upset on the phone, which is unusual for him.

I'm currently playing Syd's album 'The Madcap Laughs' whilst eating my lunch at home. Magic stuff, especially enjoying his track No Man's Land. He honestly has the most insidiously infectious voice I've ever heard. 10 years ago, I used to find him almost mediocre and too eclectic for my tastes. Boy has that changed. He has a voice which makes you think his head is really somewhere else, where the contents of his songs are taking place.

Sad loss, but what a musical legacy.

Originally posted by Candyman+Jul 12 2006, 12:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-C A Iversen
@Jul 12 2006, 11:54 AM

I'm quite shocked to be honest.  :cryy:  :cryy:  :cryy:
Yeah it is a sad day....I know someone who will be even more shocked and thats Mr Andrew Horton He is like the biggest pink floyd fan i know [/b]
hes the biggest pink floyd fan i know and it was only about a month ago that he first talked about his love for pink floyd and especially Barrett

although i am not a huge fan, i am aware of the music he made and the influences hes had on music and on the many fans out there

RIP Syd

Originally posted by MonoTurd+Jul 12 2006, 12:33 PM-->
Originally posted by Candyman@Jul 12 2006, 12:15 PM

Yeah it is a sad day....I know someone who will be even more shocked and thats Mr Andrew Horton He is like the biggest pink floyd fan i know
hes the biggest pink floyd fan i know and it was only about a month ago that he first talked about his love for pink floyd and especially Barrett

although i am not a huge fan, i am aware of the music he made and the influences hes had on music and on the many fans out there

RIP Syd [/b]

Hey Mono, maybe for this weekend Andrew and I'll make up a 15 track 'Best Of' cd to play, which maybe you and Neck will want to hear some of the tracks?

Any TRF members have tracks of his to suggest for it? Can be solo or Pink Floyd tracks.

Thanks if you do! :bravo:

Originally posted by C A Iversen+Jul 12 2006, 12:36 PM-->
Originally posted by MonoTurd@Jul 12 2006, 12:33 PM

RIP Syd

Hey Mono, maybe for this weekend Andrew and I'll make up a 15 track 'Best Of' cd to play, which maybe you and Neck will want to hear some of the tracks?

Any TRF members have tracks of his to suggest for it? Can be solo or Pink Floyd tracks.

Thanks if you do! :bravo: [/b]
hell yeah man that sounds like a good as idea. ive heard 'The Gnome' and 'Intersellar Overdrive' and both those songs sound really psychedelic and im sure neck wont say no to your idea either

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Jul 12 2006, 11:54 AM
I know who's music I'll be playing big time this weekend.

Damn Straight

I am bringing out the archives tonight...........'Wish you were here', straight off the bat

i see that "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" was #2164 in the top sellers list on Amazon.com yesterday but today its #11...i cant really say anything about that because i got my sister to go and put that CD on hold at Sounds for me

Originally posted by MonoTurd@Jul 12 2006, 01:26 PM
i see that "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" was #2164 in the top sellers list on Amazon.com yesterday but today its #11...i cant really say anything about that because i got my sister to go and put that CD on hold at Sounds for me
The first listen to Syd's stuff and even Piper At The Gates Of Dawn seems to be......WTF? "This sounds weird, archaic and just where they hell are they going with all this stuff?"

Then you gradually find it more and more melodic and kind of etheral. After several listens it's appealing in a way like nothing else is. Truly unique music.

Originally posted by C A Iversen+Jul 12 2006, 02:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MonoTurd
@Jul 12 2006, 01:26 PM
The first listen to Syd's stuff and even Piper At The Gates Of Dawn seems to be......WTF? "This sounds weird, archaic and just where they hell are they going with all this stuff?"

Then you gradually find it more and more melodic and kind of etheral. After several listens it's appealing in a way like nothing else is. Truly unique music. [/b]
yeah im expecting it to be really quite trippy at first but hopefully i learn to love it

quite ironic that pulse was released on dvd only a day or so from syds death. possibility of a reunion?

Originally posted by MonoTurd+Jul 12 2006, 12:58 PM-->
Originally posted by C A Iversen@Jul 12 2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by MonoTurd@Jul 12 2006, 12:33 PM

RIP Syd

Thanks if you do! :bravo:
hell yeah man that sounds like a good as idea. ive heard 'The Gnome' and 'Intersellar Overdrive' and both those songs sound really psychedelic and im sure neck wont say no to your idea either [/b]
That sounds like an awsome idea, i am up for it, a tribute to syd.

Originally posted by sambãd5@Jul 12 2006, 04:35 PM
quite ironic that pulse was released on dvd only a day or so from syds death. possibility of a reunion?
yeah what is that new pulse DVD - u see i have the VHS version from like 1996, and just assumed it was already on DVD.

it must be a re-release, with added features surely

People went and got the Pulse DVD from the otherthread, but not sure if its actually this new one

I saw the add on TV the other day.......was like WTF is this. :wacko:

Pulse is overated I reckon.

Delicate Sounds of Thunder and Is there anybody out there are much better concerts in my opinion... and apparently they filmed "Is there anybody out there" at least... so somewhere its rotting away, just sitting there saying "Hurry up and release me on DVD so Ripper can buy me."

Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 13 2006, 04:57 PM

Delicate Sounds of Thunder and Is there anybody out there are much better concerts in my opinion... and apparently they filmed "Is there anybody out there" at least... so somewhere its rotting away, just sitting there saying "Hurry up and release me on DVD so Ripper can buy me."
Overrated maybe a little, but mostly by people wanting a good dvd release for years now.

As for Ak, yeah it is the same concert, but with so much more in every way that your VHS is now extremely redundant!

Originally posted by C A Iversen+Jul 13 2006, 06:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jul 13 2006, 04:57 PM

Overrated maybe a little, but mostly by people wanting a good dvd release for years now.

As for Ak, yeah it is the same concert, but with so much more in every way that your VHS is now extremely redundant! [/b]
VHS is so old lol i crunge every time i watch one now, with the high pitch sound and the crapy picture

I had the oppertunity to listen to Roger Waters perform the Dark side of the moon and other FLoyd tracks at Hyde Park a couple of weeks ago, I was in tears when they played Wish you were here, it was a surreal experience
I was gutted when I heard about Syd's departure the other day and it reduced me to tears once again.

Shine on you crazy diamond

pinkfloyd.jpg

Latest posts