Leicester v Paris - HEC ¼ Final

A

An Tarbh

<div align="center">
4.gif
Leicester Tigers v Stade Français Paris
85.gif
</div>

Paris travel to Welford Road with a depleted squad, ravaged by injury and suspension. Mauro Bergamasco misses out following his antics in the Welsh match while injury has been responsible for the absence of the likes of Skrela, Beauxis, Parisse, Marconnet, Szarewski and skipper Auradou.

Circumstances therefore couldn't be better for Leicester to get to the semi finals where they'll be looking to go one better than they did in 2005 when they missed out at home to Toulouse.

Can Paris overcome their injury crisis and upset the odds at Welford Road or will it be plain sailing for the 2 times champions?

Paris travel to Welford Road with a depleted squad, ravaged by injury and suspension. Mauro Bergamasco misses out following his antics in the Welsh match while injury has been responsible for the absence of the likes of Skrela, Beauxis, Parisse, Marconnet, Szarewski and skipper Auradou.
[/b]
well, fortunately the situation is not that tragic... :rolleyes:

real injured players are Marconnet, Szarwesky and Auradou, Sowerby and Roncero too

Parisse and Beauxis are perfectly fit, Skrela is now alright too

Mauro Bergamasco appeal will be judged tomorrow but even one week bonus won't be enough to play the game, so SF backrow will be Burban-Rabadan-Parisse

I really can't wait...

well that is good news, I thought the 2 half backs were definitely out though, wasn't 100% on Parisse though.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
well, fortunately the situation is not that tragic... :rolleyes:

real injured players are Marconnet, Szarwesky and Auradou, Sowerby and Roncero too

Parisse and Beauxis are perfectly fit, Skrela is now alright too

Mauro Bergamasco appeal will be judged tomorrow but even one week bonus won't be enough to play the game, so SF backrow will be Burban-Rabadan-Parisse

I really can't wait...
[/b][/quote]

Well the situation would not be that tragic if Stade Français played a Welsh side I think, but when playing Leicester I don't see what can be your expectation when you don't have a decent front five. Even the best halves of the world are clueless when they never get the ball.

Paris will play well. They have outplayerd us before, but have never been far from beating us on the occaisions they did lose. They have strength in depth and will have targetted this match. I reckon it will be a real tough test for the tigers, because i think there is zero chance of Stade not playing well. IMO aside from tigers they are the best side in europe and deserve to break their trophy duck in Europe. I just hope it's not this year.

Well the situation would not be that tragic if Stade Français played a Welsh side I think, but when playing Leicester I don't see what can be your expectation when you don't have a decent front five. Even the best halves of the world are clueless when they never get the ball.
[/b]
sure I recognize the situation is worse in the front five (even if I read today that Roncero has some hopes to be in the squad) but you have to consider that also for the Tigers Corry and Castrogiovanni are huge losses

Paris will play well. They have outplayerd us before, but have never been far from beating us on the occaisions they did lose. They have strength in depth and will have targetted this match. I reckon it will be a real tough test for the tigers, because i think there is zero chance of Stade not playing well. IMO aside from tigers they are the best side in europe and deserve to break their trophy duck in Europe. I just hope it's not this year.
[/b]

Well I would usualy agree with you and I even think that the players will play at their best according to their potential. The front row players bar Pieter de Villier are going to be U21 players that are foreseen as future great players but who were totally trashed by Bourgoin last week-end for example. Their scrummaging was quite weak, they have even lost 5 of their introductions. As far as the locks are concerned Mike James should be OK but he's not the kind of player that can play at his maximum more than 50 minutes.

The backs should be ok and if the weather is not too humid they could be Stade Français salvation.

My view is that Leicester should win by a comfortable margin of 12 to 18 points. I just hope they make me wrong.

Dont think too that Paris can pretend to head for the semi finals.
Except in case of a relative balance at the half-time, where the'll take their chance till the end of the match, I think they will let the play go and protect their players from more injuries.

So without burying the game, I think their mind is allready to the final part of the top 14 and the Brennus.
Here they lost really unlogically last year against Toulouse in semi-final despite a better and more dangerous game than them, and could have more pretend on a victory in front of Biarritz in final (and the disaster of Toulouse).

In France, The brennus is still preponderant over the H cup, and have a largely more important historic and sportive value. So for every team, if a choice has to be made because the both target can't be shooted (I think that's the case for Paris), this one will without any doubt be made in favour of the Brennus.

I also think that Leicester is also aware of that,they will put all the pressure in the first half and then not let a bit of place for hope for Paris, and here preserve players for the next step

Sale simply shut the French attack down before Christmas. And am I the only one who doesn't jump for joy when Beuaxis is named in the starting line-up?

Leicester's attack will be dealt with comfortably, but they'll take the win - just.

Why are the French so frustrating? They rampage through the 6N, but trip over their own boots when you're willing to admire them. They supply the best teams in the HEC, but then say they prefer domestic competition and can't be bothered turning up next year. They deserve a smack on the bum from Segoline Royale.

Paris was sure frustrated in the last 2 years with both national and europeans championships....!
After been French champions many times in the last few years, with an appearance in the first league not so old (Stade Français stayed for a long time a second division club), they thought and wanted a double ***le.
Sure theys ran after 2 cups, but didn't even reach the final of one...

Nethereless, we can't say that for Biarritz, wich is at the opposite very self confident.

Why are the French so frustrating? They rampage through the 6N, but trip over their own boots when you're willing to admire them. They supply the best teams in the HEC, but then say they prefer domestic competition and can't be bothered turning up next year. They deserve a smack on the bum from Segoline Royale.[/b]

Well I think that you must first understand that for the French club Rugby the Brennus shield is the best trophee one can dream of. Once you have understood this shape of mind you can understand most of their unlogical behaviour. Moreover at the moment the French clubs are making much more money with a match of the Top14 than with the H-cup, so even from a fiancial point of view the H-cup is priority 2. What can you expect from them when both emotionaly and practically the European competition comes after the Top14?

Well for me that was by far the best of the weekend's quarter finals, some massive hits in that game, close all the way, not spoiled by the ref and a dramatic finish, what more could you want as a neutral, well not so much neutral I still wanted Paris to win but a great game nonethless.

we had an instant classic here today, the match is stored on my hdd and will soon be transferred on a DVD

a real fight with 30 gladiators on the pitch and some outstanding high-level class plays

I supported SF but I have to say both teams deserved and the match could go either way, a real fun to see such a game after the unwatchable BO-Saints in the early afternoon

I agree with both you. It was the best quarter played this week-end. Both teams showed commitment and this was refreshing after the crap of this afternoon other quarter.

I expected Leicester to win, but not Stade to play so well. They edged Corry's men on quality, but couldn't overcome home advantage. Best match of the weekend. If Skrela could have nailed another DG he would have been a hero.

We reckon the Leicester left wing could play for Ireland. The original spelling of his name is Tooralooralingi. That's enough for eligibility, surely?

It was a great match, I felt that the Stade Backline made too many errors in the first half and having a player sin-binned can never help you against a great side like Leicester (just ask Danny Grewcock!)
But, could someone tell me Why Stade wear Pink? of all colours, PINK?!

But, could someone tell me Why Stade wear Pink? of all colours, PINK?!
[/b]

Just for this, to make you react and remember them. That's a classical marketing trick.

Plus pink is AWESOME!

But why the hell did Leicester have to win.

If it's one club i truly despise it's those cheating ********!

I thought Paris were the better team - which surprised me - but made a mistake by bringing on Bergamasco in the centre.

Anyway, Leiecester look a more balanced team than in the past - it's not all about grunt and 'Who me, ref?'

Latest posts