• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Liam Williams costs his team... again.

The thing with Williams is, he's just as likely to win you a game as he is to do something completely dull and lose you one. All depends if Gatland is willing to risk potential moments of stupidity to keep a very on form Williams in the team.

Exactly. I am dubious too, however with Halfpenny injured and with him being in top form I think it would be foolish not to give him another chance whilst making it clear that he is REALLY on thin ice.

Edit - Hope Halfpenny goes well in his first Toulon game and doesn't tweak anything!

Lol - There goes all my rep, thanks 'Hulkster'. I am genuinely upset by losing 6 green things! You bugger

Last edited:
It's like this. If you looked at Williams with no previous knowledge you'd say he is a superb player. But he does have baggage. Reminds me of Delon Armitage in ways.

Exactly. I am dubious too, however with Halfpenny injured and with him being in top form I think it would be foolish not to give him another chance whilst making it clear that he is REALLY on thin ice.

Edit - Hope Halfpenny goes well in his first Toulon game and doesn't tweak anything!

Well yeah, as you said Halfpenny is on his way back for his first Toulon game, so hopefully he'll be fit and raring to go come that Australia game.
But I still think there's a few other candidates for the 15 shirt who are far less likely to do something daft like Williams, namely Rhys Patchell. He has been outstanding in every game so far, and has even shone from fullback by hitting superb lines and always adding some sort of spark. I'll be shocked if he's not in the AI squad, and think he has a huge chance of playing a part vs Aus, more likely off the bench as a replacement for Biggar than as a starting fullback I guess though. He's arguably one of, if not the, in form regional player, so he has to get a tidy lump of game time at the very least!

If Priestland is anywhere near the goddamn squad, then Gatland needs his head looking at.

Last edited:
It's like this. If you looked at Williams with no previous knowledge you'd say he is a superb player. But he does have baggage. Reminds me of Delon Armitage in ways.

I think that he is even worse than Delon as the latter's problem is more showboating than Williams who, for me, has reduced himself to near enough thuggery in the past.............that being said, I do believe that, demons under control, he could be a big asset to Wales.

Well yeah, as you said Halfpenny is on his way back for his first Toulon game, so hopefully he'll be fit and raring to go come that Australia game.
But I still think there's a few other candidates for the 15 shirt who are far less likely to do something daft like Williams, namely Rhys Patchell. He has been outstanding in every game so far, and has even shone from fullback by hitting superb lines and always adding some sort of spark. I'll be shocked if he's not in the AI squad, and think he has a huge chance of playing a part vs Aus, more likely off the bench as a replacement for Biggar than as a starting fullback I guess though. He's arguably one of, if not the, in form regional player, so he has to get a tidy lump of game time at the very least!

If Priestland is anywhere near the goddamn squad, then Gatland needs his head looking at.

Aye, agree with all of that, there's definitely other candidates too, would love if we could have J Williams on the fiel, although wing would probably be best for him in the Welsh setup. Patchell has been tremendous and definitely deserves a place in the squad. I too reckon he'll be stand in for Biggar, but he's been good at 15 too. Something which stands out from last week in particular was the turn of pace he showed two defenders whilst on the back foot and then following up with a huge clearance. I really do hope Williams gets a good run out as it'd be a shame to waste the form he's in. But as you say, everything crossed for Halfpenny to kick on from where he was before the summer.

If Priestland is in the quad, he's definitely sleeping with Jenkins or Gats! ;)

Last edited:
Agreed that Patchell should definitely have a place, easily one of the Blues' best players at the moment. He looks a bit wobbly in defense from time to time but that's where some time in the Wales camp could really turn him into something special. Biggar looks much calmer and organized at 10 but Patchell would def make a good sub and should get a run out at 15 too IMO.

Liam Williams really does frustrate me - so much potential but I wonder if it's a case of excelling at regional level then being caught out at international level. If he evens out a bit and stops picking up red and yellow cards he could be superb!

Latest posts