• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Third Scottish URC Team

Ewan Ritchie

Academy Player
Is it time for one of the Welsh teams to get the boot and a third Scottish team to enter the scrum?

The Welsh teams consistently make up the bottom half of the table while the two Scottish teams are generally in the top half. Might it make for a better comp if Wales and Scotland had three teams each?

On the one hand, maybe diluting Welsh resources less would improve the other sides. On the other, maybe diluting Scottish resources further would hurt the existing sides.

I would rather that there was some sort of a tendering process where by a franchise with a strong business case for inclusion can apply for the place of an underperforming team, rather than doing things on a wing and a prayer.

On the one hand, maybe diluting Welsh resources less would improve the other sides. On the other, maybe diluting Scottish resources further would hurt the existing sides.

I would rather that there was some sort of a tendering process where by a franchise with a strong business case for inclusion can apply for the place of an underperforming team, rather than doing things on a wing and a prayer.
Totally agree, the business plan needs to be secure and a team not just added, because 'it is fair'.
Maybe Lobdon Scottish could get a plan up and running, playing out of Plough Lane.

Maybe Lobdon Scottish could get a plan up and running, playing out of Plough Lane.
Surely that would hit the same problems as the previous 74 times it's been suggested (or LI in the URC, or LW, or...).
RFU are responsible for all clubs playing on English soil, so they'd need RFU's permission to pi$$ off every other English club.

If London Scottish want to play in the URC, they'd need to move to Scotland...

Surely that would hit the same problems as the previous 74 times it's been suggested (or LI in the URC, or LW, or...).
RFU are responsible for all clubs playing on English soil, so they'd need RFU's permission to pi$$ off every other English club.

If London Scottish want to play in the URC, they'd need to move to Scotland...
What about a British and Irish League?
Would benefit the clubs, create a wider audience.

Is it time for one of the Welsh teams to get the boot and a third Scottish team to enter the scrum?

The Welsh teams consistently make up the bottom half of the table while the two Scottish teams are generally in the top half. Might it make for a better comp if Wales and Scotland had three teams each?
In what city? Aberdeen is the third largest in population. But there's quite a drop off in size between it and Edinburgh. Could Aberdeen $upport a URC team?

Last edited:
Wouldn't there also be an issue of catchment and pathways for amateurs? I thought Scottish rugby's pathway was pretty limited outside of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Would Aberdeen be able to produce players?

Speaking of Scottish URC, Glasgow vs Edinburgh tomorrow. 1703204605988.png We Are Warriors!

Last edited:
Rugby is almost non existent in Aberdeen.

The Scottish teams would be diluted if there was a third team.

If the Welsh can't field a fourth team, it would be a fifth SA team as the most likely replacement

The third team Scotland used to have folded about 20 years ago due not being able to get sufficient crowds even though it was in Scotland's rugby heartland in the borders. I know Scottish Rugby is in a good place regards the 2 professional teams but is the SRU in a better place regards funding to have a third team come back?

Problem is exactly as both above posts say and hasn't changed in 20 years.

The Borders is the heartland, but no sufficient population centres to support a team - the team were based in Galashiels - population 12,000 - and not as if travel is fast there either. Hawick is ~30 mins away and its relatively next door.
The 3rd population centre is Aberdeen - but rugby is an afterthought.

'suppose I should state at one point there was a professional team up north - the Caledonia Reds. But they were binned off as a result of the Murrayfield expenses.

edit: Huh, more digging - and the Reds alternated bases between Aberdeen and Perth. Wonder would a single base in Dundee be viable? Whats the interest like around Perth/Dundee/Arbroath I wonder.

Problem is exactly as both above posts say and hasn't changed in 20 years.

The Borders is the heartland, but no sufficient population centres to support a team - the team were based in Galashiels - population 12,000 - and not as if travel is fast there either. Hawick is ~30 mins away and its relatively next door.
The 3rd population centre is Aberdeen - but rugby is an afterthought.

'suppose I should state at one point there was a professional team up north - the Caledonia Reds. But they were binned off as a result of the Murrayfield expenses.

edit: Huh, more digging - and the Reds alternated bases between Aberdeen and Perth. Wonder would a single base in Dundee be viable? Whats the interest like around Perth/Dundee/Arbroath I wonder.
I don't know, but look how long it took to build support in the Glasgow area. They'd be starting from a very low level in the North. You'll notice the Fosroc super 6 teams are also all central or south. Its not happening any time soon.

Rugby is almost non existent in Aberdeen.

The Scottish teams would be diluted if there was a third team.

If the Welsh can't field a fourth team, it would be a fifth SA team as the most likely replacement
I believe this is the most likely. If Cheetahs want to join URC I think I know how they can do it.
Replace Dragons (it doesn't have to be Dragons) in the Welsh conference. Cheetahs can base themselves in Netherlands for the Welsh derbies. They are already doing that in EPCR Challenge Cup and the tickets sold out really quickly.
Bear in mind Cheetahs is already a professional club. They represent Free State which is a rugby mad former country about the size of England with the population of Wales.

I don't know, but look how long it took to build support in the Glasgow area. They'd be starting from a very low level in the North. You'll notice the Fosroc super 6 teams are also all central or south. Its not happening any time soon.
Stirling might work for a 'Northern' team.

I believe this is the most likely. If Cheetahs want to join URC I think I know how they can do it.
Replace Dragons (it doesn't have to be Dragons) in the Welsh conference. Cheetahs can base themselves in Netherlands for the Welsh derbies. They are already doing that in EPCR Challenge Cup and the tickets sold out really quickly.
Bear in mind Cheetahs is already a professional club. They represent Free State which is a rugby mad former country about the size of England with the population of Wales.
And with Dutch history, so lots of benefits being based in Netherlands.
It would also help with Dutch rugby development

Stirling might work for a 'Northern' team.
I don't think they've the population in the Stirling area to support a full time local professional set up (& a suitable stadium?, Forthbank holds @ 3900? Bridgehaugh 4000?). The other thing is that the money for this would have to come from the SRU who still prop up Glasgow & Edinburgh, despite their gates of 7-7,500, with SRU international income. As they lost @ £10m in fairly recent accounts. I don't think they'll be looking at establishing & building a third franchise soon. When or if they do, it will need a better chance of eventually becoming self sustaining, rather than diluting resources (in the way we see in Wales).

Latest posts