• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Potential New Competition between Irish Provincial A teams and Cheetahs, Pumas and Griquas

I'd love it to be part of this Intercontintal Shield project, even though there is zero reference to that in the article.

I'd love it to be part of this Intercontintal Shield project, even though there is zero reference to that in the article.

I'm just glad they are looking at options about 28 years too late.

IDK about the Intercontinental shield but if I were to play matchmaker I'd say you have seven squads that need games here and seven teams in the RESC. Are there a bunch of logistics in the way? Is it really the end game either group would want? I doubt it but it would undoubtedly be good for the game.

Just put our A sides in the Prem, I don't see why we'd need a new competition? Only issue I could see is lads preferring to play AIL.
Could be the thirds that play in the prem then. Would still be near certs to make the playoffs at least.

Apparently there is an interview in Italy suggesting Italian involvement. I haven't got a primary source.

EDIT: I'm seeing this second hand from another Italian source that is pretty credible. It sounds like this has been instigated by Italy (Franco Smith working for Italy but having connections to the Cheetahs). Reportedly due to kick off in October.

Last edited:
Rumours the RESC was considered not high enough level for this competition, which is probably a fair reflection of the first season, but is perhaps a little short sighted. The Barcelona Diables are still active on Twitter so I believe this will be completely distinct to the Intercontinental Shield, even though that would mean the Cheetaha playing in 4 tournaments! (although would it also be their A side? Doesn't sound like it given the noises from Italy).

Hope the competition with IRFU happens. 👍

1658211734411.png

Last edited:
The Cheetahs are everyone in SA's 2nd team. Hope they get a home of sorts as its been terrible how they've been managed (by SARU I mean, not internally) and I for one think they are a better side (and you could count the Pumas and Griquas here as well) than the Lions.

Rumours the RESC was considered not high enough level for this competition, which is probably a fair reflection of the first season, but is perhaps a little short sighted. The Barcelona Diables are still active on Twitter so I believe this will be completely distinct to the Intercontinental Shield, even though that would mean the Cheetaha playing in 4 tournaments! (although would it also be their A side? Doesn't sound like it given the noises from Italy).
I would assume the Cheetahs would go full tilt for this one actually. At least it'd be between this and the CC. I can't see them taking the other tournaments as seriously unless I undervalue the European challenge- or they overvalue it of course. It'd depend on whether this tournament gains traction or is seen as a one-off though I suppose. All speculation of course from my side LOL. Just a SA fan POV.

Last edited:
For Cheetahs I'd have thought the priority would be:

Challenge Cup - toughest challenge and you can probably hoodwink fans back home that its glamorous and prestigious. In fairness they would get genuine kudos for winning this.

Currie Cup - the bread and butter for local bragging rights and will have the most fan interest but likely a lesser challenge?

Big gap...

Intercontinental Shield - it's their baby and they appear to be wanting to make a long term tournament that will grow and be sustainable.

This - it seems more Italy's baby and it is questionable to me if the Europeans will even treat this as something they'll be bothered about.

Confirmation that this thing is called the Toyota Challenge.

Are Ireland sending an a team or a combined provinces a team. I think a the latter would be worth it but the former would have players who'd be better off in URC.

Are Ireland sending an a team or a combined provinces a team. I think a the latter would be worth it but the former would have players who'd be better off in URC.

Emerging Ireland team so will be Ireland control prob picking the AIL guys

I missed this back in March but there were suggestions the Cheetahs were chasing the Crusaders and a Japanese side for this Toyota Challenge tournament before settling for Irish and Italian reserve/emerging sides. Suggests there might be a fair financial incentive that has been offered to Italy and Ireland?

Latest posts