• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Liberty Stadium Hell

D

danny

Firstly I would like to say congratulations to the Ospreys for their fine win over Gloucester on Saturday.
They were the better side throughout and we cant play in wet weather, obviously.
I need to report back to our members about the Liberty Stadium and Swansea. I knew the stadium was a bit out of town but its so far it takes quarter of an hour in a taxi. It has to be the most souless,depressing,concrete hell hole I have ever had the misfortune of watching Rugby in. It was so bad I didnt think it was actually finished. The only place to have a drink near the ground is a Frankie and Bennys(not a lot of fun) or some woefull family restaurant/pub. They dont have any taxis outside of the ground so every one has to ask in the family restaurant/pub if they have a number for a cab. Please beware if you are tempted to go to watch your team vs the Ospreys ,DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for the town itself ,what a shithole! When we came out of the train station i didnt realise we were actually in the town centre, i thought this was the red light district or something. First pub we went in we had to drink out of plastic glasses,which was probably wise given the state of most of the drinkers in there,in fact all pubs in central Swansea serve drinks out of plastic. Our night out consisted of watching fights in some of the most depressing pubs and nightclubs i have ever seen. The whole place looked like it was still stuck in the seventies.
I will not be going back!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience mate.

Looks a great stadium on the telly.

Hey, did you know that the stadium is not that far of a walk from the train station, the first time i went i did not know this (Official site gives bad travel advice) so we went to the Town centre and managed to work out what bus it was, the bus took about half an hour for what should have been 5 minutes, i also got verbally abused on the bus and attempt to physically assault me was also made, I was a Cardiffian in Swansea but the OTT hatred obviously spills over from the idiot soccer hooligans.
As for the stadium, I agree it is pretty dead in there,and knowing you guys took alot down with you it is sad to hear that is still the case.
I will refrain from slagging off the town centre itself or the people as it is a bit snobbish.
When walking back after the match my mate reckoned i should do my jacket up so as to hide my shirt but i was pretty sure the bus incident was a one off, and i was right, i got no more trouble, however it only take a few idiots to ruin things and i am in no rush to go back there.
Supporters bus for me next time i think.

Ok, where to begin.
If you know your way to the stadium from the train station it is but a 20 minute walk. I think the taxi driver took you on a bit of a detour, but that's not the point.
Yes, you are correct. The liberty stadium is witout a doubt the most souless place you could ever visit. I can't agree with you more on that. The crowd usually pick up for big games (see matches against scarlets and blues) but evidently not this time.
Just be grateful you're not there when it's O's against Connacht and there are only 11,000 there!
Travel and transport is an absolute abomination. They don't provide sufficient parking...oh, unless you've whored out half of your wages to buy a season ticket.

Second issue:

You sound like you've never been to a rough city before.
What are you, middle class or something? Lol.
Swansea is a dream compared to places like Middlesborough. :lol:
I freaking love nights out in swansea. You get the roiders and the chavs always up for a fight and it's a f***ing laugh. What's better than getting a cheap shot in on a roider and watch him try to run after you down the street. Hill-arious!
I ask you to try and find any big club in wales that DOESN'T serve their drinks in plastic cups or bottles.
And if you think the nightclubs are depressing in Swansea then you clearly didn't hook up with the hundreds of easy girls ranging from 1's to 8's! You don't get any 9's or 10's in Swansea...well you do, but they go out in cardiff on the weekend.

Anyway, you're right about the stadium, but moaning about the town?
Lol. Grow a pair.

Mate, i have been to places all over the world and Swansea aint any more rough than anywhere else, it is just plain ****, it is **** and you know it, even the council know it as they are trying to rebuild it.
I went to the Blues game and the atmosphere was rubbish.
I know it is your city and i would expect you to defend it and rightly so.
Most people who live in a place have a different perception of of it than outsiders and that is expected, people don't like Cardiff but I do, I currently live in Manchester, aint a massive fan of the place,but most locals love the place.
However when you need people to Visit your area or stadium it needs to be welcoming, and that is up to the council and this case the Ospreys and Liberty and the local people to make this happen.

Oh wait, you aint even from Swansea, why you would defend it is beyond me.
Sorry, should have looked closer at your information but the way you talk about it you would think you are born and bred.
Ahh well, most of my points still stand.

I didn't say Swansea wasn't shite.
It very much is, you're sounding very desperate here.
Ok, let me go through this slowly with you.
I have declared that the liberty stadium and so forth is a sorry state of affairs. There's not one ground in Wales right now that doesn't have some AWFUL issues.
I agreed with the gloucester lad that he was right to be disappointed.
And, yes, you must be spot on: if one cardiff vs ospreys match had a bad atmosphere then they ALL must. Superbly done there. <_<

But yes, it's rough. It's rougher than cardiff - and that just came out like a boast, but it is a shamefull attribute for a city to have.
I live in cardiff right now, and i venture out on the town at least once a week and i hardly ever see fights going on; the drug scene is very discreet and it's a pleasant place to walk around.
For all three of the previously mentioned points about cariff - the exact opposite could be said about swansea.

So, out of my whole post you seemed to have picked and argued about things which (ready for this?) i already agreed with you about!

*SHOCK!*

I was talking about the night out in swansea afterwards.
It's like Llanelli, it's like Carmarthen, it's like the valleys. Fights are to be found. Roiders are everywhere kicking up the fuss. Chavs are knicking cars. It's how it is.

All i said - and i'll quote again - was:

"Grow a pair"

Nuff said.

it is just plain ****, it is **** and you know it
[/b]

I didn't say Swansea wasn't shite.
[/b]

Never said you didn't sir.

The crowd usually pick up for big games (see matches against scarlets and blues)
[/b]

And, yes, you must be spot on: if one cardiff vs ospreys match had a bad atmosphere then they ALL must. Superbly done there. <_<
[/b]

You gave an example, I gave an example.

So now we all know Swansea is **** and Liberty Stadium is souless we can all move on. Hope Danny is enjoying this

My post was not to pick a fight, you are right, my second post did agree with you, however i was just continuing on the rant, i guess i jumped the gun in interpretting your defence of the nightlife as a defence of the place in General, my bad.

I'm sure we can all agree that it can't possibly be as bad as the arse end of nowhere.... aka Rhyl ;)

Don't want to do the whole place down, The Gower Peninsula is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Well i hate to say swansea does have its shortcomings, and for anyone coming first time your probably gonna think its a bit ****, but night outs are awesome you just need to go to the right places i.e stay away from wind street and if you look past the fake suntan and steroids, the city has got alot to offer.
Onto the stadium i have to agree it does feel soulless and we have to be some of the quietest fans around. but meh the ospreys are funking awesome so tbh singing ole over and over again doesnt bother me

Yea it takes time, after a while i think the fans will gel together and get more lively.

I'm going to wade in here and agree with RC. Anyone who has had a night out in places like Aberdeen, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield, etc should have no problem with handling Swansea.

OMG people fighting on the floor in bars! Beats watching the Irish brawl on a friday night in Belmont street in Aberdeen. Seriously, nothing unites men of different nationalities or races better than a good old catfight between women of different Irish families from Cork. You guys should try watching it some time, the lost art of Irish brawling is alive and well in Aberdeen all thanks to the billions from Ireland who flood in doing Pharmacy at RGU :lol:

Anyway, how were the Osprey fans? Were they affable and full of friendly banter? If so, whats the problem? Many clubs fans get a bad rep just because they play in an awful stadium. Saracens fans are presumed to be blatant football hooligans just because they're tied like slaves to Vicarage Road. Utter bullshit I tells ye!

OK, as an outsider who used to live in Swansea, I kinda like the place (granted that I lived there back in 1999) I used to spend my nights out @ Time or Escape and had no problems with people getting into fights. Could someone tell me, is it Really that bad in Swansea now?

Sorry to have caused so much anger amongst our members but i thought it was only fair to call it as i saw it on the weekend. I am very used to violent situations as i have grown up in what is referred to as Gloucesters roughest estate and spent time in both Gloucester and Leicester prisons. My experiences have led me to expect better when i go away for a "fun" weekend with good friends. I thought it was my duty as a member of TRF to report back what i experienced.

Sorry to have caused so much anger amongst our members but..... [/b]

[blink]ARRRRRRRRRRGHHH![/blink]

SILENCE! I AM ANGRY! :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :rahh: :wall: :wall: :%#%#: :%#%#: :ranting: :rahh: :rahh:

Latest posts