• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

licensing

roscommon guy

Academy Player
Country Flag
Kazakhstan
I am very worried since the announcement of rugby challenge that Rugby12 will have very few licences if any. I will not buy the Game if the licensing is poor. It must include the world cup, super 15, Heineken cup, 6 nations, 4 nations, top14. If all the teams taking part in these competitions including their kits, stadiums and updated real rosters are not included into the game I will not buy the game.

I think that HB studio should give us info on how the licensing is going along.

I can sell you a mega update patch if you like? That has all the kits and rosters in it.

Yours for a bazillion quid. ;)

I'll sell it you for half a bazillion, cause I'm a nice guy like that :D

facepalm.jpg

I've never go the rights thing. I don't see why we can't have two games, both licensed. EA and 2K do it with the NBA.

Despite the name, i don't think this new Rugby Challenge game has anything to do with Swordfish's game. I don't at any point, i've seen anything advertised like 'EA - Virtual sponsors of the All Blacks' etc, so why would it matter to share licenses?

Surely, the actual team/player/body giving a right to use their likeness/trademark/copyright to two different offers is going to mean they make MORE money, as i said before.. i've never seen anything affiliated with a professional league or player in recent memory.

Pro evolution proved long ago that theres a hell of a lot more to a good game than licensing. A game can have all the licensing in the world, but if it plays like a nightmare the novelty of licensing will wear off pretty quickly.
People are jumping to conclusions a bit over licenses and game quality I think, when we have been told very little by both game developers.

I would be very disappointed after waiting an age for a new rugby game to find without any licensing I think it should include: All official stadiums, kits and players from 6 nations, tri-nations, heineken cup, Aviva premiership, top 14, super 14 and any other International teams.:cool::lol:^_^:D:):rolleyes:

MMMMMONSTER KILL...

really, that would be the end of rugby games. nobody wants that to happen :)

No other game outside Rugby Challenge can have the All Blacks, Wallabies, Super Rugby, or ITM Cup teams or any associated player names, player likenesses, uniforms, logos, and trophies.

LOL sucks to be Rugby 2012.

If Mario is telling the truth (rather then embelishing somewhat), it's very short sighted of the NZRU to go signing exclusive liscences. If the ABs lisences is all they have, it literally will not sell outside of ANZAC territories. The same way RLL literally has not sold outside the league heartlands (it's not even stocked in shops).

So you can't have "All Blacks" or "Wallabies" - Notice he says nothing about "New Zealand" or "Australia" which are the names that would appear in the game anyway.
Are you really going to notice whether your NZ shirt has the adidas logo on? Or if your gold (yellow) Aus shirt has the kooga logo on it?

So you can't have "All Blacks" or "Wallabies" - Notice he says nothing about "New Zealand" or "Australia" which are the names that would appear in the game anyway.
Are you really going to notice whether your NZ shirt has the adidas logo on? Or if your gold (yellow) Aus shirt has the kooga logo on it?

I'm no expert but it sounds like there's a bit more to it than that... My understanding is that no other game can have the team name, player names and player likeness...
This wont effect gameplay at all, but it means that any New Zealand players (playing in NZ) will end up with generic faces and slightly different names R. McCrow or D. Corter

The licences on names is ******** anyway - Daniel Carter and Darren Carter would still have the initial "D Carter".

As long as they get the Superrugby license i will be happy!!! Sharks forever!!!

I will be supporting Rugby 2012 and HB Studios...i am sure they will produce a game worthy to hold the ***le of rugby xbox 360/ps3

@dan the man...will that include superrugby...if so i am gonna have to go with rugby challenge...i can't play with The Sharks if they are not actually The Sharks...if u know what i mean. C'mon HB...Make it happen!!!

Rugby Challenge secured investec superrugby...superrubgy is basically run by Sanzar which includes South Africa and in Sa it is known as Vodacom Superrubgy.... might have changed. So licence from SA superrubgy is differnt ain't it. Hope HB get the superrubgy licence...i think the gameplay will be way better than Rugby Challenge so with the licnece it will make it a good complete package.

I get a feeling that RC will be southern hemisphere based, and 2012 will be Northern based, which i don't mind entirely as long as the gameplay with both games are good. An interesting thing about this licensing business is that you can have "team licenses" but from what i recall, World Championship rugby only had England as their "Fully Licensed" team, but Wales had their players names (You can see the "Welsh Players association" logo on the back and in the credits. I can't really recall any other teams having names tho.
So even tho you may have the exclusive rights to the team, others can buy the names?? I'm really outta my depth in explaining all this, so maybe someone with a bit more knowledge (Hint hint ;) ) could elaborate. I just found it interesting.... but probably the "exclusive rights" part may stop "player names" being bought. We wont know till HB start announcing stuff :D :D :D

Did Sidhe sign exclusive rights 4 superrugby?...how does it work? I know Hb will produce the better game in terms of gameplay and how it will look visually/graphically, but i just hope they are able to give us a true sense of Superrugby...hope they get the license 4 the strongest provincial/club competition in world rugby.

Did Sidhe sign exclusive rights 4 superrugby?...how does it work? I know Hb will produce the better game in terms of gameplay and how it will look visually/graphically, but i just hope they are able to give us a true sense of Superrugby...hope they get the license 4 the strongest provincial/club competition in world rugby.
I imagine they'll have the Magners, don't worrt =)

They better get Sean O Brien's likeness ....actually they should have him on the front cover.....throttling some mere mortals