• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lineout confusion ?

flynnboy

Academy Player
Hi everyone, I am looking for help understanding the lineout rules. I have always thought that if one side kicks the ball into touch then the other side gets the lineout........ this is quite obviously not the case, so what are the rules for who gets the lineout ?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks !

Hi everyone, I am looking for help understanding the lineout rules. I have always thought that if one side kicks the ball into touch then the other side gets the lineout........ this is quite obviously not the case, so what are the rules for who gets the lineout ?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks !
If you kick from inside your half and it bounces out inside the opposition 22 then the kicking side gets the lineout - this is a new rule to try and combat aimless kicking back and forth

Also if you kick from a penalty (can go directly out) then it's the kickers throw in

Yep. @TRF_Olyy has covered it nicely there.

Only a couple of bits to add. His first paragraph is what you will hear referred to as a '50:22'. If the ball bounces before going in to touch, it's he attacking side's ball. If it goes straight out without bouncing, the defending side gets the throw.

If you kick from inside your half and it bounces out inside the opposition 22 then the kicking side gets the lineout - this is a new rule to try and combat aimless kicking back and forth

Also if you kick from a penalty (can go directly out) then it's the kickers throw in
Thanks Olyy ! What if it is kicked from inside your own half and bounces out 'before' the 22 ?

Thanks Olyy ! What if it is kicked from inside your own half and bounces out 'before' the 22 ?
Opposition line out where it leaves the field of play

One caveat on the new 50:22 rule is that it has the same "carried back" rules as a kick from k side your 22
As in: the phase that the kick is from has to originate in your own half, the ball can't be carried or passed back into your half and then kicked out - that would be a lineout to the opposition

You don't realise how convoluted the laws are until you write them down!

Latest posts