ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Lineout throws not being policed?

I have noticed that this year (and this season in particular) that officials have been getting more and more relaxed about how straight throw ins must be.

A lot of hookers are setting up in the middle of the channel and then stepping to the side - to be in line with their own team.
Then they throw towards the middle of the channel so that it looks like it's possible of the defending team to compete, when it isn't.

Sorry for the terrible explanation, but I'm sure most of you have seen exactly what I'm talking about.
My issue is that it seems as if it is being "allowed" in the same way that crooked feeds in the scrum were (/are).
I can't see how the touch judge can miss it as it is extremely obvious - some players are literally in line with their own team!

Tom Youngs is the person I have seen do it the most.

Last edited:
Yes of course he is......

Look give them a break they have had to start reffing the scrums correctly so thats going to take some adjustment, other areas are bound to suffer.

Don't get defensive bro, I'm not out to get poor little Tom.
I'm an England supporter before anything else so don't bother trying to infer that I am having a go at Leicester.

And that's a rubbish explanation - the ref and his assistants don't need to worry about scrums during a lineout.

Don't get defensive bro, I'm not out to get poor little Tom.
I'm an England supporter before anything else so don't bother trying to infer that I am having a go at Leicester.

And that's a rubbish explanation - the ref and his assistants don't need to worry about scrums during a lineout.

sorry the sarcasm was lost in the text....

Although it is worth a mention as crooked feeding at elite level seemed to creep up on everyone until it was the normal, King Cockers even said the debate on straight feeding was done and everyone had moved on! (Not sure who he had the debate with) So lets not hope the lineout goes the same way.

If you feel that strongly about it why not put together some footage of the throw ins that concern you with data like the ref, thrower, catcher to see if you can trend it. The same with the scrums too.

I feel strongly enough to make a thread, not a video. I also don't have the resources.

Saw this a few times in the Bath/Sarries match at the weekend. Very odd that it isn't being policed as it is very easy to observe, just stand in the middle of the channel and see if the ball comes towards you...

Not just that, they are being given the mark by the touch judge and staying there until both teams are set then taking a massive step to one side.

While you are on about lineouts, the number of times i see the restarts from the half way line the drop kick is often taken inside the opposition half, the law it says must go 10mts and cross the line, also penalty kicks the ref makes the mark and absolutely everyone without exception take another 3/4 paces before kicking the ball. All these are infringements, but often neglected by our beloved refs. To busy distributing yellow cards to bother about tedious things like that.

Yeah, I've seen that a lot too.
All of these simple things need to be kept in check.

Is this just a problem up north, or in the south as well? I ask because I have seen a few calls against crooked feeds in the ITM Cup, but haven't had much time to watch the NH games starting up, so not sure how rampant the problem is there compared to the SH.

das

I don't think the lineout's as bad - I certainly haven't seen hookers taking this "massive step to the side" and referees give plenty of free-kicks for lineout not being straight. I don't watch NH games, though, so I have no point of reference. Kickers taking several steps in front of the mark before kicking, I've definitely noticed. I guess referees don't want to stop the game for pedantic stuff like that, but they should at least give them a warning not to do it again in my opinion.

3:25 - He catches the ball on the OUTSIDE of the lineout!! :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a majority of throws are partial. Some are VERY partial.

3:25 - He catches the ball on the OUTSIDE of the lineout!! :mad:

You mean Tom Youngs' throws at 2:12 and 2:25. The video is only 3:16 long. But yes, that was ridiculous how the officials missed those two wonky throws. The last one has stuck in my memory and why I'm not a big Tom Youngs fan when he plays for England.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feat...ou-straight-this-refs-dereliction-harms-game/

...it's definitely got worse this season.

Pretty clear conspiracy to be frank - it's ludicrous what they are allowing at the moment.

The article seems to be pointing the finger at the assistant referees not keeping an eye out for the infringements. I have been saying for a while now that I think the TMO has made assistant refs lazy. When I first started watching the sport about 14 years ago the touch judges - as they were called at the time - were very involved in keeping an eye out for infringements. I remember one commentator even complaining about the touch judges having too much say. Well, now they don't seem to have much say about anything, and it appears their only real job during the game is to mark where the ball went into touch.

Less time was wasted when the assistant refs were more involved in the game, instead of always going 'upstairs' to get a TMO opinion that has often proved erroneous. I know refs are trained, but there seems to be an overall laziness - or...I would hate to think it's purposeful rigging of the games...too much internal disagreement on what defines a particular infringement. It seems that the refs could be imposing their own personal opinions about how things should be handled instead of following the rule book.

das

Latest posts