• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions v ANZAC XV in 2015?

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Opinions?
John O'Neill has proposed a "Remembrance Day" match between the British & Irish Lions and an Anzac XV at Twickenham in 2015 to commemorate the centenary anniversary of the Gallipoli landings.
ESPNscrum

I like the idea. It shouldn't be hard to fit the game into the schedule if it is played in November. It's a fun concept for an appropriate cause.

Agreed - it woudl be a fantastic game, and a great win for the ANZACs to celebrate the occasion ;)

I can't get my head around this. The Lions isn't a side that's thrown together to play one off matches, it's a side that is assembled to take on a full tour against a SANZAR nation. Yes matches against the Barbarians have been added lately, but playing a one off match when it isn't a Lions year is a little silly imo.

Maybe playing against a Barbarians side made up of players from Britain and Ireland would make more sense than actually calling them the Lions?

I just can't decide. On the one hand it's a good cause, but on the other the Lions are a side that forms every four years to undertake a full tour, which this isn't.

I can't get my head around this. The Lions isn't a side that's thrown together to play one off matches, it's a side that is assembled to take on a full tour against a SANZAR nation. Yes matches against the Barbarians have been added lately, but playing a one off match when it isn't a Lions year is a little silly imo.

Maybe playing against a Barbarians side made up of players from Britain and Ireland would make more sense than actually calling them the Lions?

I just can't decide. On the one hand it's a good cause, but on the other the Lions are a side that forms every four years to undertake a full tour, which this isn't.

It won't be the first time they've done it though - in '86 they played a 'Rest of the World XV' in Cardiff and in '89 played a one off game in Paris vs France.

It won't be the first time they've done it though - in '86 they played a 'Rest of the World XV' in Cardiff and in '89 played a one off game in Paris vs France.

There was also a "Four Home Unions" v "The Rest of Europe" benefit match played at Twickenham on the 22nd April 1990. I was a fundraiser in aid of rebuilding Romania after the overthrow of Ceausescu.

The Home Unions side wore the Lions badge on their shirts and although they were not an "official" British Lions side, they were the Lions in everything but name.

If the Lions were to play a one-off, this would surely have to be the occasion.

would be fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!if an Anzac team is ever done it will be on the centenary :). I wonder if the south Africans and Canada fans would feel left out thoa they both did serve under the commonwealth saying that 2015 is not the centenary of world war the ANZAC's are a huge part of our culture and i hope it works out would be an epic battle of north verse south.

Latest posts