Lock moving to LH Prop Need advice

Nooblar

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Sharks
Hey guys,

So all my life i have been playing at #5 but due to injuries our next 2 crucial games i have been asked to move to loosehead prop, i am 6'2" i weigh in at 120kg's and during practice against the machine i seem to have no real issues but against our 1st team i really seem to struggle to get my head up thus causing my back to bend and occasionally it feels like the tighthead i am scrumming against is cutting off my circulation and i lose most of my power... what advice can anyone give me as well as some tricks and tips, our 1st game i will be scrumming against a much smaller player (5'8" 105kg).

As i say these are crucial games if we win them it puts us back into top of the log to hopefully win the league

Thanks

6'2" is on the taller end of the spectrum for a loose head, but not wildly out of the ordinary. On the other hand, I don't remember the last time I was a lock as short as 6'2".

@OP, I can't offer any advice I'm afraid, my only "propping" experience is in sevens! I suspect that anyone will struggle to give you useful advice over the internet to be honest. I'd have thought that your club coaches and even the first teamers who've put you in this position would be your best source of help. For fear of sounding pious, if the games are soon, I would question whether it is safe for someone as inexperienced as yourself to play in the front row.

1. Build

What is your build? If you have a long neck and sloping shoulders you should reconsider allowing yourself to be played at LHP.

Prop1.jpg
Prop0.jpg

This is a good build for playing prop............................................and this isn't

2. Training and Experience
Assuming you pass Test 1 above. you will need to be STE (Suitably Trained and Experienced).

[TEXTAREA]LAW 3.5 THE FRONT ROW - REPLACEMENTS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
(b) Prior to the match teams must advise the referee of their front row players and
replacements. Each player in the front row and any potential replacements must be suitably
trained and experienced.

(c) The replacement of a front row player must come from the suitably trained and experienced
players who started the match or from nominated replacements. A player other than a
nominated front row player is permitted to play in the front row only when uncontested
scrums are being played and there are no available front row replacements.
(d) A suitably trained and experienced front row forward may start the match in another
position.[/TEXTAREA]

Your local union/association will have regulations defining what it means to be STE. Your team should be packing you down in scrums for practice and you will need some coaching in the position from someone who really knows how to play prop

3. Tips and Warnings
If you pass both tests above, then the only further advice I can give you is this. If your opponent is an experienced prop, he will pretty quickly work out that you are not. He is shorter than you, and if he is also heavier/stronger, he will almost certainly try to use that to his advantage, by getting under you and trying to force you up. One of the ways he will do this is to shorten his bind onto your arm so that he can maximise his strength as well as to force you to release your bind.

bind.jpg

If you bind like the LHP in this photo, you will open the door for your opponent to bind on your arm. This will put him in control; he will be able to break your bind by pulling your arm and drive you up out of the scrum.

bind2.png

However, if you bind like this LHP (I think its Cian Healy, and if so, his is a good example to follow) then you will make it more difficult for your opposing THP to dominate you. Your long bind gives him nowhere to go except to bind legally; if he tries to bind on your arm, its going to be very obvious to the referee because of the angle he would need to make with his forearm.

Good luck!

Work hard on Dipping lower, and really hit hard slightly above your original shoulder height, put en-thesis on your back and knees.. +plus most important thing with propping is feet position, make sure you look it up and nail that down..

By the sounds of it, you're nowhere near 'junior' level. If, as it sounds, you're an amateur 2nd row, being asked to play LH, I'd think the first thing to question is who the hell is asking you to make that switch? I think you'll be better off switching teams if anything, as you're in a huge amount of danger of being injured if you try to switch now.

@smartcooky were you a prop back in the day ?, you do know your stuff about making a good prop :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts