• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lomu tipped to become a ***an

W

woosaah

Lomu tipped to become a ***an
16 October 2006

Former All Blacks rugby great Jonah Lomu has been linked with the Gold Coast ***ans, a National Rugby League (NRL) expansion club.

The Gold Coast Bulletin newspaper in Queensland today reported that the ***ans were poised to sign the big winger for 2007.

The newspaper said it understood Lomu would meet ***ans management tomorrow to discuss a code switch.

It said Lomu, 31, who played 63 tests before his international rugby career ended in 2002 because of a life-threatening kidney disorder, would undergo a tough medical assessment.

***ans management remained tightlipped about the impending deal, with managing director Michael Searle declining to confirm or deny the club was planning to meet Lomu.

Lomu attended the Tri-Nations rugby league test between New Zealand and Australia in Auckland last Saturday.

The Bulletin reported sources close to the Lomu camp saying his move to league was "not a cash grab" but a genuine attempt to make an impact in the sport.

Lomu made his comeback at first-class level in New Zealand this season for North Harbour but struggled for form and admitted his dream of appearing in next year's rugby World Cup was beyond him.

He has been weighing up his options, although there has been no hint that he was interested in pursuing a career in rugby league.

His wife and manager, Fiona, this month said Lomu would consider prolonging his career in Australia's new national rugby union competition next year.

"We certainly wouldn't turn away any conversations with regards to playing opportunities," Fiona Lomu said.

"I guess it's not a common move for New Zealand players but ... the competition's changed a lot both here and in Australia and there are new opportunities that could be something that we would look at."

AdvertisementAdvertisementShe stressed money was not motivating Lomu to stay active in competitive sport.

"Money's never been the primary driver for him ever in his career so it's certainly not how we approach decision-making." [/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3830368a1823,00.html

will defintely be interesting if this comes off. I am guessing he would proabbly play in the forwards in league with his build etc he would be very damaging and he could be interchanged on and off for maximum impact.

will defintely be interesting if this comes off. I am guessing he would proabbly play in the forwards in league with his build etc he would be very damaging and he could be interchanged on and off for maximum impact.
[/b]
Put him at prop. He already knows how to run at guys. So all he needs to learn is defence...going up going back non stop. Oh and tackling. This would be great if he quickly went over and did some serious training ASAP before next year.

he can do that from the kick offs, he wasnt a great catcher of the ball from memory.

but i doubt he would want to do all the donkey work as well

he doesn't have the fitness to play in the backs really anymore. he is built like a forward for league. at prop or second row he would be devasting. and plus in league you can interchange so you could bring him on in place of another huge guy and lose absolutely nothing and gain the damage that lomu would do.

Would be pretty cool to see, I hope he does go to league!! I wanna see him smash Willie Mason LOL

awesome! i'm happy for the big guy!

lomu isnt that bad under a high ball, in 95, the ABs used a tactic that left so many intl teams flat footed. and that was to kick to the backs and the forwards at kick off, where lomu was lurking... paid off very well from what i can rmb0

<div align="center">
787962_1_111_1.jpg

It will be interesting!</div>

"...Jonah Lomu has been linked with the Gold Coast ***ans..."

Nah - I don't buy it! It is just rumour at this stage and I doubt that Lomu really wants to change to league at this late stage of his career. I think that Lomu and his agent just have their feelers out to see what is available.

Lomu will stay with rugby union - some club will pick him up.

watta joke...dont do anymore damage to ya body..know ones gonna feel sorry 4 u out dea jonah...guys like o'melee,wiki,carol,cinaveca love fresh meat and would love to accompany you to an early wheel chair...

he playd sum bum games in tha air nz cup and cudnt kick it wit da rookies there..pro league especially nrl is a whole different beast to get use to...and he will be made to look a fool in tha condition that he is in...

Rumors abound saying how Jonah's fitness since the dodge ANZ Cup has improved to the point where he is running 100 meters under 12 seconds. I reckon don't count him out, he could make himself a Kiwi with the way the Kiwis are going in the Tri NAtions.

there is nothing wrong with kiwis...nz league do not need him other than to promote the sport...contribution on the field should be forsaken..last time i saw lomu make a clean 1 on 1 tackle..hitler was alive

i have heard the S14 clubs have snubbed him

he approached league for a lifeline.

Come on Jonah........its a better game afterall

If he is running 100m in under 12 - #1 or #2 i say

Line him up against Utai, King, Carney........nobody could stop the big fella

[/b]

May i ask ak47 how Lomu could possibly line up against Carney in a game when they will be playing in the same team next year?

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

May i ask ak47 how Lomu could possibly line up against Carney in a game when they will be playing in the same team next year?
[/b][/quote]

MID WEEK TRAING CHAMP :bleh!:

nah u got me *******!!! :p

Lomu to consider ***ans' offer
18 October 2006

Former All Blacks winger Jonah Lomu is considering a one-year incentive-based contract offer from fledgling Australian Rugby League club the Gold Coast ***ans.

The 31-year-old Lomu, who underwent a kidney transplant in 2004 and battled back to fitness before failing to win a Super 14 contract for next season, spent time on Tuesday with officials from the Queensland team.

"They seem like a great bunch of guys and a very professional outfit but we still haven't made a decision on anything," Lomu said in a statement.

"It's just more of a meet and greet to put names to faces and to meet each other personally and see whether we fit or suit each other."

***ans managing director Michael Searle said the giant winger was in excellent condition.

"He looks absolutely better than we expected," Searle told reporters. "We're confident that if there was a game being played tomorrow, Jonah Lomu would be picked in it, particularly if it was for the Gold Coast ***ans."

"This is a big decision for him," Searle said. "It's a change of code and a whole new lifestyle. It's not something we're going to rush him into."

Lomu became New Zealand's youngest player in 1994 aged 19 and scored 37 tries in 63 tests before his career stalled due to health problems.

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3832568a1823,00.html

0,1445,261136,00.jpg

Latest posts