• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

LV= Cup 2016/17

Just watched the Exeter v Blues game. But one sided, especially in the close contact. Apart from 20 minutes or so in the second half when Exeter went to sleep.

Impressed by the Simmonds brothers, especially Sam the back row 7. If his development and opportunity keep on the same path, he could well be a name to add to growing list of young hopes for a international English 7.

Dreams and optimism the food of all hopeful fans...

Sam was seriously impressive in the Singha 7s, unbelievable pace and power. Even as a Chiefs supporter, I kinda hope we don't sign Kvesic so that Simmonds can really develop. Not an out and out 7, but an outstanding athlete.

Sam was seriously impressive in the Singha 7s, unbelievable pace and power. Even as a Chiefs supporter, I kinda hope we don't sign Kvesic so that Simmonds can really develop. Not an out and out 7, but an outstanding athlete.

Sam Simmonds was one of the players I really wanted to see get some game time after the 7s. He looked immense against the Blues.

As you say, might be better to give him a shot rather than spend money on Kvesic.

- - - Updated - - -

From a Quins point of view, I'm looking forward to seeing whether a few of our young backs get a look in - I'm hoping to see Mikalcius, Aspland-Robinson, Ibitoye and Lang.

Aaron Morris should definitely get some game time, so I'm also interested to see how he shapes up as a possible long-term successor to Brown.

From a more general perspective, there's a few I'm keen to see:

Bath - Jack Walker (when fit)

Exeter - Maunder, Simmonds

Leicester - Evans

Newcastle - Chick

Northampton - Ludlam

Sale - Tom & Ben Curry, Nott, Mitchell and Charnley

Saracens - Isiekwe, Malins, Taylor

Wasps - Ehiodze, Willis

Worcester - Kitchener, Taylor

So far, I'm pleased with how many of the players I wanted to see have come in and done well.

Simmonds, Evans, Curry (x2) and Willis have all looked good so far which bodes well for the future of our back row post Robshaw and Haskell.

I think at least some of them - most likely the Currys - will see some game time in the AP of the back of their LV showings which is great news.

Anyone getting in on what promises to be a mediocre mudbath at the Rec ... ?

Ben Betts is set to make his Tigers senior debut V saints on sat
Croft make his 100th comeback
Leicester Tigers (v Northampton Saints, Welford Road, Saturday 3.00pm)
15 Mathew Tait (c)
14 Tom Brady
13 Jack Roberts
12 Matt Smith
11 George Catchpole
10 Owen Williams
9 Jono Kitto
1 Michele Rizzo
2 Harry Thacker
3 Fraser Balmain
4 Harry Wells
5 Dom Barrow
6 Tom Croft
7 Will Evans
8 Luke Hamilton

Replacements
16 George McGuigan
17 Riccardo Brugnara
18 Ben Betts
19 Joe Maksymiw
20 Will Owen
21 Ben White
22 George Worth
23 Charlie Thacker

Ben Betts is set to make his Tigers senior debut V saints on sat
Croft make his 100th comeback
Leicester Tigers (v Northampton Saints, Welford Road, Saturday 3.00pm)
15 Mathew Tait (c)
14 Tom Brady
13 Jack Roberts
12 Matt Smith
11 George Catchpole
10 Owen Williams
9 Jono Kitto
1 Michele Rizzo
2 Harry Thacker
3 Fraser Balmain
4 Harry Wells
5 Dom Barrow
6 Tom Croft
7 Will Evans
8 Luke Hamilton

Replacements
16 George McGuigan
17 Riccardo Brugnara
18 Ben Betts
19 Joe Maksymiw
20 Will Owen
21 Ben White
22 George Worth
23 Charlie Thacker
Must be said Betts wouldn't be making his senior debut for us in his first academy year. Move seems to have worked out well for him, and fair play to him for that, because if he comes good Irish teams will be screaming out to sign him.

Must be said Betts wouldn't be making his senior debut for us in his first academy year. Move seems to have worked out well for him, and fair play to him for that, because if he comes good Irish teams will be screaming out to sign him.

If he has promise Muprhy better be telling him the joys of living full time at Leicester.

Apparently looked good for Loughbrough students scrum still needs work which is obvious for his age but very good around the park.

Interesting that McGuigan and Betts both played for Ireland U20's.

If he has promise Muprhy better be telling him the joys of living full time at Leicester.

Apparently looked good for Loughbrough students scrum still needs work which is obvious for his age but very good around the park.

Interesting that McGuigan and Betts both played for Ireland U20's.
Maybe so, maybe so. Betts would be rightly disenfranchised with Irish rugby as not a single academy picked him up which was clearly a mistake. Given the fact most teams won't be likely to sign a top NIQ tighthead I'm sure he'll have offers regardless. Yeah McGuigan is a very odd one. Took his call up for Ireland and played at 18 and 20 age grades for us, but then took his Saxons call up. Did he not generate interest at under 20 level over yonder? Because he's always had a decent hype around him. Not really fussed about him jumping sides because he is English and we have a good few very useful hookers, but it's odd. Betts isn't a mudblood though so I'd imagine Irish caps would tempt him. Bizarre to me still he didn't make the academy, he's a very tactful scrummages for his age and very mobile.

Last edited:
This Taff commentator is already winding me up.

Sounds like he runs out of breath at the end of his sentences. So ****ing staccato.

- - - Updated - - -

Obano's scrummaging appearing to be coming together...

Obano was up against PDJ so not a particularly taxing test for him. Did one on Ma'afu though, when he'd been on the pitch for 60 minutes and Ma'afu had just came on.

This Taff commentator is already winding me up.

Sounds like he runs out of breath at the end of his sentences. So ****ing staccato.

- - - Updated - - -

Obano's scrummaging appearing to be coming together...

every sentence sounds like it is actually five different sentences with his cadence

Might be a bad knee injury for Evans there... leg got trapped in the ruck ala Rhys Webb/JDV.

Obano was up against PDJ so not a particularly taxing test for him. Did one on Ma'afu though, when he'd been on the pitch for 60 minutes and Ma'afu had just came on.

Obano seems to be coming good. Auterac hasn't really kicked-on as expected which might see Obano leapfrogging him before too long.

A new Tuilagi being in the opposition feels incorrect.

That said this BBC lineup I'm reading has Thacker at 7. So who knows

It's Brian, he's not all that great from what I've seen.

Would've been nice to see Fred Jr. playing for Tigers though.

Fred jnr needs to get fitter.

Brian has been at Tigers and Falcons and never made a breakthrough can't see him doing it for Sarries either TBH.

Latest posts