• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ma'a Nonu signs with the Blues for two seasons.

Rhyer

Academy Player
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Montpellier
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/5216940/Ma-a-Nonu-signs-with-Blues-for-two-seasons

T
here you have it. Ma'a Nonu will continue to ply his trade in New Zealand after several big off shore offers. He will be taking a sabbatical at the end of the World Cup though to have a break from New Zealand rugby and earn a bit of extra money before returning to the Blues in 2012. Huge boost for the Blues but I can't help but feel even though Nonu will be joining them that their back line will still be severely depleted.

Huge signing for the Blues. The Blues needed to a big name backline player, with Brett McAlister, Payne, and Rokocoko all confirmed as leaving next season.

Next season I'd imagine the Blues backline will look something like:

9. Mathewson
10. Anscombe/Botica/?
11. Ranger
12. Nonu
13. B Stanley
14. Wulf (though he could play 13)
15. Toeava

Still not a bad looking backline despite all the departures!

Last edited:
Huge signing for the Blues. The Blues needed to a big name backline player, with Brett McAlister, Payne, and Rokocoko all confirmed as leaving next season.

Next season I'd imagine the Blues backline will look something like:

9. Mathewson
10. Anscombe/Botica/?
11. Ranger
12. Nonu
13. B Stanley
14. Wulf (though he could play 13)
15. Toeava

Still not a bad looking backline despite all the departures!

I would prefer;

9: Mathewson
10. Anscombe
11. Ranger
12. Nonu
13. Toeava
14. Wulf
15. Munroe

I would prefer;

9: Mathewson
10. Anscombe
11. Ranger
12. Nonu
13. Toeava
14. Wulf
15. Munroe

I think Toeava has clearly proved over the last few years that his best position is 15, so I wouldn't move him away from there. I wouldn't have Munro near the team in any case. The only reason he is in the team at the moment is his goal-kicking; he is a terrible defender, and far to slow to play in the outside backs at Super Rugby level. If the Blues have a quality kicker at 10 they don't need Munro in the side (Munro should go back to concentrating on playing 10 in any case).

Good pick-up by the Blues. I wonder what province he'll sign for.
I think Toeava has clearly proved over the last few years that his best position is 15, so I wouldn't move him away from there. I wouldn't have Munro near the team in any case. The only reason he is in the team at the moment is his goal-kicking; he is a terrible defender, and far to slow to play in the outside backs at Super Rugby level. If the Blues have a quality kicker at 10 they don't need Munro in the side (Munro should go back to concentrating on playing 10 in any case).
Munro is awful at 10. He's not too bad off the bench as a utility.

Good pick-up by the Blues. I wonder what province he'll sign for.Munro is awful at 10. He's not too bad off the bench as a utility.

I agree Munro struggled at 10 when he played their initially, he was young though and I'd imagine he will be much better now with the experience he has gained. He certainly has all the tools to be a good 10 at Super Rugby level (whether he actually becomes a good 10 or not is another thing...), but he is never going to have the pace to deserve a starting spot in the outside backs....

Put him at 10 he can't go anyworse than Stephen Brett :p

all though not in ab mindset, i think munro had a really good young carrer and will do well at the blues. sure not the fastest but his utility as a player in many positions and really, if such as this season, you are playing with payne, roks and ranger, you dont need another game breaker/speed merchant. and looking at the stuff artical, lam has a simmilar way of coaching as 'ted so having utility in playing positions will keep him in the squad for a while.

hes been one of my favorite players for about 2 seasons now, and leading try scorer (or point....) for the npc last year (not sure at end of year actually but for most of the season he was) he cant be too bad. But maybie its because of his kicking that i like about him... more teams should invest in non-5/8 kickers so they concerntrate on their playmaking.

back to nonu though. really good signing for the blues. although hes a bit of a wah wah, definatly a great player. makes perfect sence with payne and mcallister and brett heading off in particular. gets some line breakers back in the team.

I bet Payne regrets leaving now. He would have been involved in the All Blacks and had Nonu inside him at the Blues.

I agree Munro struggled at 10 when he played their initially, he was young though and I'd imagine he will be much better now with the experience he has gained. He certainly has all the tools to be a good 10 at Super Rugby level (whether he actually becomes a good 10 or not is another thing...), but he is never going to have the pace to deserve a starting spot in the outside backs....
The thing is, I can't see any team willing to invest in him as a 10. Munro also said he'd be focusing on being an outside back.

Toeava has been playing really well this season at Fullback. However I think he is equally potent in the number 13 jersey. Don't forget he was the best centre in the 2007 Super14 comp. He had the most number of line breaks that season. In previous seasons Toeava has played from 10-15 for the blues. He is the ultimate utility player however not being able to string a few games togather in one position takes the edge of his play.

I would like to see how the centre pairing of Nonu and Toeava will go.

Toeava is a fullback. End of.

In terms of Nonu, great signing, pleased to see he'll still be in New Zealand after the RWC. I would actually consider putting Benson Stanley at inside centre and putting Nonu at outside centre.

Toeava is a fullback. End of.

In terms of Nonu, great signing, pleased to see he'll still be in New Zealand after the RWC. I would actually consider putting Benson Stanley at inside centre and putting Nonu at outside centre.

Yeah that could be a good option as well. I'm sure these days he is more than capable of playing 13, but I'm always dubious about playing Nonu at centre as I can't get the unreliable, error-prone, ill-disciplined player that he was when playing in the 13 Jersey out of my mind!

Blues Backline

9.Alby Mathewson
10.Gareth Anscombe
11.Lachie Munro
12.Ma'a Nonu
13.Rene Ranger
14.Sherwin Stowers
15.Isaia Toeava

Feel sorry for Benson Stanley who is a solid player rarely does anything wrong but doesn't have that X-Factor about him...
Maybe Benson could move out to 13 hes like a Conrad Smith type of player.

Last edited:
Blues Backline

9.Alby Mathewson
10.Gareth Anscombe
11.Lachie Munro
12.Ma'a Nonu
13.Rene Ranger
14.Sherwin Stowers
15.Isaia Toeava

Feel sorry for Benson Stanley who is a solid player rarely does anything wrong but doesn't have that X-Factor about him...
Maybe Benson could move out to 13 hes like a Conrad Smith type of player.

Teams that are all x-factor and not enough substance typically lose spectacularly. Stanley isn't exciting, but you need that rocksolid influence sometimes.

Good for him, but it's a pity that the hurricanes won't keep him...

Toeava has been playing really well this season at Fullback. However I think he is equally potent in the number 13 jersey. Don't forget he was the best centre in the 2007 Super14 comp. He had the most number of line breaks that season. In previous seasons Toeava has played from 10-15 for the blues. He is the ultimate utility player however not being able to string a few games togather in one position takes the edge of his play.

I would like to see how the centre pairing of Nonu and Toeava will go.
If the Blues can't find a centre to their liking, then Toeava could well end up playing centre. I do prefer Toeava at fullback but he's still one of the better centres at Super Rugby level. Will be interesting to see who else the Blues bring in for next season.

Latest posts