• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Magners League 06/07

I'm all behind Scarlets/Ospreys being up for contention of winning the league. The blues will do well to compete highly again and Dragons are such the underdog that i pray they give many upsets throughout the season.
But i fear the Irish teams (and Edinburgh). When European performances are pulled out like what Munster can do, then there's plenty to fear. Edinburgh have progressed greatly as of late. They are becoming an exceptional side. When i went to see the Ospreys beat them for the ***le back in march '05 10,000 turned up EXPECTING the win and a comfortable one at that. For any EUROPEAN supporter to do that now would be foolish.
Teams are getting better in our league, which is great, and the "whipping boys" are no longer conceding points like they once did.

Hard to say who'll take the league this year.

I'd still say Ulster, they won't be hit as bad with international call ups and this November period could be crucial for them in picking up the wins where Leinster, Llanelli and Edinburgh will be hit much harder.

Our squad is alot stronger this year, but we still lose key players like: Hall, Murray, Hogg, Taylor, Blair, Dewey, Di Rollo, Paterson, Webster and Southwell. Players like Hodge, Mustchin, Rennie and Godman are still good players and they are capable of getting results.

SO back into action and Edinburgh lose at home to Cardiff after 2 late tries denied Edinbugh the victory and saw them lose their unbeaten home record this season, although in fairness it was only their 5th home game of the season,

Ulster continued their march to defending their crown with a convincing bonus point win at Ravenhill against the Borders, despite being 5-3 down at the break, the champions over powered their oponents in a powerful second half performance, how they would have wished for something like that against Toulouse. Bonus point for Ulster sees them now 10 points clear although Llanelli have 3 games in hand.

Bonus point win for Leinster at Donnybrook tonight, pretty porous defence from both teams at time but seriously the Dragon's was hemhorraging at a rate of knots. Contepomi took the **** with his first try and made an arse out of the defending tackler for his second. Willis is looking more and more composed the more he plays, he's certainly making a case to stay as no. 1 when Whitaker and Easterby are fit. Good night for Leinster and they go second temporarily, fully expect Llanelli to pick up a bp win tomorow against Munster.

i donno about you tarbh but im in love with cillians playing style, i think he is very good and especially for how young he is.. he's got a cannon of a pass alright, and he seems to make many many good decisions

but i honestly don't believe he will stay the number 1 scrum half due to the fact that leinsters owners spent the money to bring whitaker over, im sure theyll want a return for their investment.. so unless something happens here with whitaker, i wouldnt plan on seeing cillian as the number 1 until whitakers contract is either a.) done or b.) close to done

well with Leinster's owners being the IRFU I don't think they'd mind if Willis got game time at the expense of Whitaker.

Willis has looked good but I don't think he's up to starting all the time yet. Once Whitaker returns I'd bring Willis on for the last 20 minutes in each game with one or two starts thrown in. Willis has supplanted Easterby as backup scrumhalf but he still needs to iron out a few creases in his game (some wayward passing at times) before he's ready to take over as the first choie number 9.

I just feel we need to start developing our younger players and give them more game time at a higher level, I see no reason why Fitzgerald shouldn't start against Agen instead of Hickie.

Anyway back to the league and Llanelli picked up a bonus point win against Munster today to go second in the league, Munster were going along alright at only 15-12 down before the Scarlets finished them off with 2 tries.

Lyn Howells is not happy with the SRU over the selection policy. An entire change in the back line, with a winger who's never played pro before and several players in the starting XV who don't even make the bench. That was a team that only ever played together once in training, hardly ideal.

Lyn Howells made a very good point that technically, we should have been allowed our internationals are they are required to be rested for 7days max if the national coach wishes them to be rested, seeing as that was 8 days before the Romania match we should have pushed for the players.

My gripe is with the SRU who won't give us the money to get strength in depth, but will shaft us for meaningless games against diddy opposition.

Latest posts