• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

Raptors are absolutely a folding, it's not they switched to a different league.

I don't think it should reflect negatively on the league that the owners were insane, but the team essentially closed shop.

Raptors are absolutely a folding, it's not they switched to a different league.

I don't think it should reflect negatively on the league that the owners were insane, but the team essentially closed shop.
Insane is putting it nicely. The lead guy was a total jackass.

Last edited:
The Raptors was a political thing. A folding yes but it was more that ownership group didn't like the climate throughout the league. Bringing in foreign players and developing them along American players. So they left, that's why I call it a tantrum.

The Raptors was a political thing. A folding yes but it was more that ownership group didn't like the climate throughout the league. Bringing in foreign players and developing them along American players. So they left, that's why I call it a tantrum.
On another note, I really like the New Orleans area broadcast team that covers NOLA matches on TV and streaming there. I don't remember the play by play announcer or color analyst names, but they do a great job.

Last edited:
I love them. Nola is my club. I live in north Florida so I can only make out to one match a year. But the tv announcers make for a great game day

There have been no clubs that have folded. Atlanta has a us coach, Scott Lawrence. San Diego did last year with Zac Test serving as co head coach
Atlanta it is for me then. I hope they aren't too severely impacted by the passing of their chairman. With them finishing second last year I've also stumbled across a good side without allegations of glory hunting (or Old Glory hunting :p).

Also, I forgot about the Raptors, I was thinking more in terms of folding due to financial issues. Its impressive that hasnt occured during a pandemic.

Also, is this a broadly accurate article in describing that there is an agreed salary cap and the way for clubs to increase their cap is by investing in youth development? I absolutely love that idea, it is so forward thinking for an emerging league and sport.

From the Rugby Network (01/05/22) - MLR celebrates its fifth season - a historic milestone for American Rugby.

The effort and commitment of all involved should not be taken for granted, and the league's impact continues to bear fruit in growing the sport.

Last year, MLR went 99-0 in the face of the pandemic. Here's to wishing the league another successful season, and best of luck to all the teams.

BIGGEST OFF SEASON MOVES​

It's been a busy offseason in MLR, and each club has welcomed new teammates. We took a team-by-team look at the top three or four players who will make an immediate impact with their new clubs.

AUSTIN GILGRONIS
  • Eagle #503 Marcel Brache
  • Former NOLA Gold wing Julian Dominguez
  • Former Rugby ATL center Mark O'Keeffe
DALLAS JACKALS
  • Former Worcester fullback Chris Pennell
  • Former Peñarol No.8 Conrado Roura
  • Former Leicester prop Ryan Bower
  • Former Rugby ATL flyhalf Adriaan Carelse
HOUSTON SABERCATS
  • Former Eagle 7s Danny Barrett
  • Current Eagle Christian Dyer
  • Former Eagle 7s Matai Leuta
  • Former Eagle 7s Maka Unufe
LA GILTINIS
  • Canadian international Ben LeSage
  • Former Old Glory DC wing D'Montae Noble
  • Candian international Djustice Sears-Duru
  • NRL veteran Will Chambers
NEW ENGLAND FREE JACKS
  • Former Otago flanker Slade McDowall
  • Former Houston wing Paula Balekana
  • Former Highlanders forward Jesse Parete
NOLA GOLD
  • Current Eagle 7s Harley Wheeler
  • Former Seattle scrumhalf Devereaux Ferris
  • Former Seattle utility back Aaron Matthews
OLD GLORY DC
  • Former Rugby New York hooker Rob Irimescu
  • Former Rugby League international Junior Sa'u
  • Former AG Rugby flanker Dom Bailey
RUGBY ATL
  • Former Rugby United New York No. 8 Evan Mintern
  • South African tighthead prop John-Roy Jenkinson
  • South African second row Justin Basson
RUGBY NEW YORK
  • Former Atlanta loosehead prop Chance Wenglewski
  • Canadian international Andrew Coe
  • Former Houston flyhalf Sam Windsor
SAN DIEGO LEGION
  • Former Toulon center Ma'a Nonu
  • Former Saracens flyhalf Will Hooley
  • Returning flanker Chris Robshaw
SEATTLE SEAWOLVES
  • Former Eagle 7s Martin Iosefo
  • South African center Dan Kriel
  • South African utility back Duncan Matthews
TORONTO ARROWS
  • Canadian international Kyle Baillie
  • Former Aussie 7s Matthew Hood
  • New Zealand wing Dennon Robinson-Bartlett
UTAH WARRIORS
  • Former NZ U20 Jamie Lane
  • Former Harlequins scrumhalf Niall Saunders
  • Former Ireland U19 back Mick O'Gara
  • Former Highlanders fullback Caleb Makene

1641433072105.png

Last edited:
Should be a good season. Hopefully we make the playoffs finally

Here's an article about the Toronto Arrows that I think some of you might find interesting, especially Bruce. :)

Here's an article about the Toronto Arrows that I think some of you might find interesting, especially Bruce. :)

They had it rough last year

Summing up their first three years is pretty brutal. I note the article is written before Omicron hit so I hope to goodness that by April, when their home games kick off, that they ate able to play in Toronto, infront of fans. I'm pretty optimistic of that. A good shout to have a game in BC following the Seattle game to reduce possibility of a frozen pitch. Hard not to want to cheer on Canadian players given their RWC non qualification.

As a long term ATL fan of at least 3 weeks I'm outraged! :p

Seriously though, that's brutal on the eve of the season for a guy who finished runner up last year and was therefore clearly doing an okay job at worst. If he isn't replaced by an American as head coach or doesn't get a job elsewhere in the league I'll be switching allegiance to RNY or Toronto until we get a North American as head coach somewhere.

Dallas have let go their proposed Aussie coach due to visa issues. Hopefully Lawrence ends up there. It would seem an obvious solution at short notice should it suit Lawrence.

Dallas Jackals are the newest MLR team and here's their Heritage kit. I'm not a fan of the team, but I really like the old school rugby stripes and collar. :cool:

1642797059949.png

Latest posts