• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

I didn't know the Jackals's GM is a Scotswoman. Sounds like last year she was appointed following the delay in joining the MLR and that her focus is promoting and developing players in the Dallas area as a result of her previous role at a Dallas club at a lower level.

Being a trailblazer in the MLR won't be helped by her losing her coach just before the season. It may be a long season for the debutants.

A bit strange of Toronto to sign a player who reportedly isn't permitted into the US due to a previous conviction for violence, so is only available for home games. I guess they are paying bottom dollar for him given his predicament.

It's opening weekend for season 5 of Major League Rugby, and there are a lot of games streaming for free on www.therugbynetwork.com

Usa Rugby GIF by Seattle Seawolves

Last edited:
A couple of nice tries in this and a decent advert for the league.

Dallas off to a predictably ropey start sadly.

Season 5 - Round 1

1644211016493.png

*New York had a bye.

Last edited:

A good appointment for the Eagles I think in advance of their Chile double header.

I was also glad to see the Jackals putting a decent effort in against the Legion. Perhaps they will not go winless. Coach/GM Elaine Vassie is aided by none other than former England coach Brian Ashton (listed as 'rugby consultant' on their website). Quite the unconventional setup.

What route would you have prefered?
Sticking with the American that got you to the final last year. For the owner to pass away and the new owner to take this action is a shame, although I see Atlanta are off to a 2-0 start this season with the side Lawrence assembled as GM / HC. My perspective is simply:

i) I think it is vital for leagues and unions to bring on domestic coaching talent. Lawrence was the only US head coach in the MLR, now he is gone and at the time of my post that looked a bad thing for the Eagles as he was shaping up as a natural successor.

ii) I like loyalty at all costs to players and coaches who are bringing you results on the field as long as they aren't disgracing you off the field.

I've no preference on coach nationality after US for the MLR. I'm not making a point about Kiwis.

Latest posts