• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Maori All Blacks Squad

You can tell O'Donnell has a decent bit of Maori in him by looking at his facial features, the fact that he's quite fair doesn't really say much. No comment on the 'Maoriness' of a couple of the names being brought up here, though.
True true.

The initial photo threw me off. But the subsequent ones made it more apparent.

A pretty good looking Maori side - interesting to see Willie Ripia named too!

The tight-5 in particular should be strong, but there is a bit of a shortage of quality 6/8's (but there are 3 good 7's). There are two options in this regard - use dual opensides, or use Hoeata or Filipo at 6 - what they do will probably depend on the opposition.

Great to see Gibson-Park in the squad, and I think his style of play will really suit the Maori game-plan (which is typically pretty expansive). It will be interesting to see who they play at 10 - I would be tempted to go with Bateman at 10, but that would mean they would be short a quality goal-kicker unless they played Renata at fullback. There is piles of talent in the outside backs, so if they can get some quality ball they could cause a lot of problems.

My preferred 22: (which looks very similar to Invictus's):
1. May, 2. Elliot, 3. Afeaki, 4. Filipo, 5. Eaton, 6. Hoeata, 7. Latimer, 8. Crosswell, 9. Gibson-Park, 10. Renata, 11. Poki, 12. Bateman, 13. Ngatai, 14. Taylor, 15. Baker
16. MacDonald, 17. Ellison, 18. Lowe, 19. Christie, 20. Wilson, 21. Willison, 22. O'Donnell

An update on the Maori matches being screened:

Sky are showing only two of the New Zealand Maori's three games on their upcoming northern tour.
The match against Canada at Oxford University on November 23 is not being broadcast by anyone and the terms of opening match against Leicester on November 13 means Sky can't show it until 48 hours afterwards.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10845492&ref=rss

Shame, I was hoping to catch the Canada game.

A pretty good looking Maori side - interesting to see Willie Ripia named too!

The tight-5 in particular should be strong, but there is a bit of a shortage of quality 6/8's (but there are 3 good 7's). There are two options in this regard - use dual opensides, or use Hoeata or Filipo at 6 - what they do will probably depend on the opposition.

Great to see Gibson-Park in the squad, and I think his style of play will really suit the Maori game-plan (which is typically pretty expansive). It will be interesting to see who they play at 10 - I would be tempted to go with Bateman at 10, but that would mean they would be short a quality goal-kicker unless they played Renata at fullback. There is piles of talent in the outside backs, so if they can get some quality ball they could cause a lot of problems.

My preferred 22: (which looks very similar to Invictus's):
1. May, 2. Elliot, 3. Afeaki, 4. Filipo, 5. Eaton, 6. Hoeata, 7. Latimer, 8. Crosswell, 9. Gibson-Park, 10. Renata, 11. Poki, 12. Bateman, 13. Ngatai, 14. Taylor, 15. Baker
16. MacDonald, 17. Ellison, 18. Lowe, 19. Christie, 20. Wilson, 21. Willison, 22. O'Donnell
When you look at past Maori teams, this would be considered one of the weaker Maori sides to be fielded.

That's what happens when a lot of the fringe All Blacks are kept in the All Blacks... Messam, Gear, Ellison are all staple Maoris, bit weird when they aren't in there!

where I grew up there was a part Maori family that had ginger hair they looked very much like Declan, and another part Maori family that had light blue eyes.

when I look at him, I can see he's part Maori.

at first look the squad kinda looks like it lacks a bit missing the big Maori Players from last time around Messam and Gear in Particular

But this side will still pose a unique threat, And with Taylor and a couple others they still have genuine x-factor in the backs and I kinda expect the forwards to lift and do what is expected for this side. Latimer in particular but also Elliot and Hoeata.

My understanding is that Bateman will be midfield in this squad not 10, guess we will see.

The thing is Maori come in all shapes, sizes and shades...
I am Maori - both parents are Maori despite me having an Irish last name and a lot of my Maori family are blonde or ginger and fair skinned.
Some of them are mostly mixed and some are mostly Maori.

People like Psychic_Duck don't actually know what Maori people look like but they seem to wanna comment on it anyway.

never ceases to amaze me... i mean if you don't know - maybe just don't talk like you do :rolleyes:

Latest posts