• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mark Cueto Cited By RFU

Have to say I do feel a little bit strange about the outcome of this. One side: happy because he can play in the WC, but on the other, a little bit apprehensive as to whether this is the right outcome.

Your idea is a good one, or maybe a global independent body ... stating the obvious here, but if the elite players can get away with light bans, it doesn't send the right message to the kids that play the game.

Agree with this completely. Maybe if the IRB couldn't resolve the issue it could go to CAS for a completely impartial opinion on the incident. Have done a lot on my degree about Judge Blackett and I can't really say much of it is positive.

The problem in sport law is precedent. In sport so much relies on the 'rules of the sport' and 'conducts and conventions' and when judging when conduct actually goes beyond this. Because conduct is rarely seen to go beyond this, there is little or no statute set by the international governing body with any clear directions. Therefore, case (or common) law is decided on its own merits, and Judges are able to depart as they wish. Sport tribunals are not compelled to produce reports so there will always be the questions of:
  • Consistency and,
  • Reliability
of decisions.

When you see players getting 70 weeks such as Attoub this ban looks ridiculous. But then when you see Schalk Burger get 8 weeks it seems a lot less worse, in my eyes. Though strict liability for contact with the eye area is probably right to enforce, more clarity of accountability must be given, because the variation in the bans is silly.

Ah come on now Cooky ...An international player taking such an inaccurate weapon onto the field suggests that he was never intending on shooting anybody..merely having a laugh until some foolish supporters dove into the path of the bullets and thus turned a piece of on field showmanship into a tragic accident.

However

Would you accept an M16, an FN-FAL or a Steyr SA-80 as showing intent!!

Latest posts