• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Marseille close to signing Lomu

G

Gavin

Looks like Jonah Lomu will be returning to rugby and playing his game in France.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8123011.stm

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
New Zealand legend Jonah Lomu is set to sign for French third division side Marseille Vitrolles. A club statement said they are "on the point of finalising the transfer of the greatest rugby legend in the world".

Lomu, 34, won 63 caps for the All Blacks but his career was cut short by a kidney illness that eventually required a transplant in July 2004.

"Everyone thought I'd ended my playing career but that was wrong. I still feel the desire to play," said the winger.

After the kidney transplant, Lomu played for Welsh side Cardiff in 2005-06 but without any great success and he returned home to play for North Harbour.

"I took a sabbatical year to be at my pregnant partner's side and to fully enjoy this important moment in any man's life," said Lomu, who scored 37 tries in his 63 New Zealand Tests.

"It will be me alone who decides when to call it a day."

And he is excited by the prospect of helping Marseille reach the top echelons of French rugby.

"Marseille is the second biggest city in France and it deserves to have a top rugby side," Lomu said.

"The club now has the means to meet its ambitions and promotion to the second division is the priority for this year.

"My ambition is to help Marseille join the group of top clubs in France."
[/b]It's a great commerical move for Marseille as Lomu will attract supports (same as how he did during his stint with Cardiff), it's also good for Jonah to get back out there :D Maybe we will see him on the big stage once again.
Do any of our French members know much about Marseille Rugby Club? I am a long supporter of Jonah and follower of his career, so any information would be much appreciated.

That is the rugby event of the year for me

Thank You God!!!!!!!

jonah-lomu-1999-600_1109_SQ_MEDIUM.jpg

Good for him if he wants to do this.

On a (very) different note, it reminds me of a very sad joke I heard years ago during his prime. Make sure if you attempt to tell anyone this "joke" that you pronounce his name as sounding like this "Low-moo", how Bill Mclaren used to say it. Instead of the more often used "Lom-ew" sound.

Brace yourself for this.

Q: Whats the opposite of Jonah Lo-mu?
A: Jonah Hi-mu.

Before you ask, yes, we did laugh at the person who told the joke, rather than the "joke" itself.

There's nothing like the worst rugby joke of all time to stop a thread DEAD in it's tracks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Jun 29 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is he getting paid mega bucks for this?[/b]

I wouldn't think so a third division french team can't be that loaded with cash. it sounds like lomu is genuinely wanting to play for this marseille team to help get them into the next division. lets face it lomu could choose any club in the world to play for if he wanted to and I am sure there would be some clubs interested in him if he is indeed fully fit. he obviously isn't going to play for nothing I would think but it's not going to be huge like some of the other signings of recent times in the french league.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 29 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's nothing like the worst rugby joke of all time to stop a thread DEAD in it's tracks![/b]

The way the Irish mob are attempting to defend Ronan O'Gara?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (esoj @ Jun 29 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Jun 29 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't think so a third division french team can't be that loaded with cash. it sounds like lomu is genuinely wanting to play for this marseille team to help get them into the next division. lets face it lomu could choose any club in the world to play for if he wanted to and I am sure there would be some clubs interested in him if he is indeed fully fit. he obviously isn't going to play for nothing I would think but it's not going to be huge like some of the other signings of recent times in the french league.

[/b][/quote]

Its France, money seems to be of no object to them lol But yeah its good because he should be playing, its what he loves, money or no money.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 29 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 29 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's nothing like the worst rugby joke of all time to stop a thread DEAD in it's tracks![/b]

The way the Irish mob are attempting to defend Ronan O'Gara?
[/b][/quote]

Maybe they should have put Ronan Keating on instead? :p

At least Ronan Keeting knows how to keep in a line... By default that makes him far more defensively astute then O'Choke! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 29 2009, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At least Ronan Keeting knows how to keep in a line... By default that makes him far more defensively astute then O'Choke! :lol:[/b]

Well O'Gara's certainly finding out that "life is a rollercoaster" right now. Maybe his defence was a rugby-field interpretation of "When you say nothing at all"? Sure as hell in that backline of Lions men, the boks had no trouble indentifying the "boyzone".

Enough of that, before someone shoots me. I wonder if Lomu manages to scrap through with the team to the 2nd division, would he stay on and play another year in the harder grade? this could be interesting......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Jun 29 2009, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (esoj @ Jun 29 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Jun 29 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Its France, money seems to be of no object to them lol But yeah its good because he should be playing, its what he loves, money or no money.
[/b][/quote]

Yes but when you get good cash for your job which you actually do with heart and soul this is the real happiness man

Lomu is worthy of having huge cash for that play

Agree French are open to spend great money on Mega Stars

Remind you about Umaga, he was taken there in Toulon and they left him finally in a team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jun 29 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Remind you about Umaga, he was taken there in Toulon and they left him finally in a team[/b]

Managed precisely bugger-all while he was there though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 29 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jun 29 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remind you about Umaga, he was taken there in Toulon and they left him finally in a team[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Aha

But anyway if Lomu reenters rugby arena that will be the one of the century events

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jun 29 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 29 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LeksoRugby @ Jun 29 2009, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Aha

But anyway if Lomu reenters rugby arena that will be the one of the century events
[/b][/quote]

Well said lol

Anyone in NZ know if he's been playing much local rugger? I mean, surely the man hasn't been doing nothing, right? It's been a few years since Cardiff and North Harbor...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jun 29 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone in NZ know if he's been playing much local rugger? I mean, surely the man hasn't been doing nothing, right? It's been a few years since Cardiff and North Harbor...[/b]

I guess watching hi crossing an arena is more attractive for the rugby and especially Jonah's fans than making complicated and superb rugby combinations and etc.

But that could be great ;) :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jun 30 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone in NZ know if he's been playing much local rugger? I mean, surely the man hasn't been doing nothing, right? It's been a few years since Cardiff and North Harbor...[/b]

He hasn't played anything really. I think he's run on in a couple of fun games like testimonals or club jubilee's, but nothing competitive. I really think it's just been consistent gym work for him since his last North Harbour game.

I know this sounds really biased, but he should've played for Southland that year, he actually would've run on in many more games instead of having about an hour and a halfs footy for the season.

Anyhow, he's possibly going to need a little hardening up again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 30 2009, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jun 30 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He hasn't played anything really. I think he's run on in a couple of fun games like testimonals or club jubilee's, but nothing competitive. I really think it's just been consistent gym work for him since his last North Harbour game.

I know this sounds really biased, but he should've played for Southland that year, he actually would've run on in many more games instead of having about an hour and a halfs footy for the season.

Anyhow, he's possibly going to need a little hardening up again.
[/b][/quote]

Sure he needs to harden up

But how do you think Iversen can he regain some shadow of his golden condition?

Latest posts