• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Marshall eyes exit from relegated Leeds

W

woosaah

Marshall eyes exit from relegated Leeds
18 April 2006 

Former All Blacks halfback Justin Marshall spied many gaps in his career - now he's looking for an exit from newly relegated English rugby club Leeds.

Leeds dropped out of the premiership over the weekend and will play in National League One next year, but their marquee player wants out.

However Marshall's designs to play in top flight rugby are hampered.

He has a year remaining on his contract, but it does not include a get-out clause.

Marshall, 32, capped a record 81 times for a New Zealand halfback, said he was willing to leave Leeds if they released him, BBC Sport reported today.

"I came over here because I wanted something different," he said.

"But it didn't mean that I didn't want to experience it at the top level.

"That is what I came over for and what I seek. Ultimately, it's Leeds' decision what they want to do with me."

Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington confirmed Marshall has no escape clause in his deal.

"We want to build from here and Justin will be playing for Leeds in National League One next season," Hetherington said.

Marshall is reportedly the subject of a lucrative offer from French side Bourgouin, while newly-promoted Harlequins have also been linked with a move to reunite him with his former All Blacks partner, first five-eighth Andrew Mehrtens.

"I have played my heart and guts out this season," Marshall said.

"It would be an act of good faith if they let me go. But whatever happens, you put up with it.

"I would have expected Leeds to be a lot higher up than we are, and that seems a little bit like I have failed in what I came over here to do.

"I felt that Leeds were always competitive and capable of beating all the other teams in the competition, but what they couldn't do was win the close ones.

"I thought that perhaps with my experience I might have been able to help the side and get us into positions to win those sort of games, but that hasn't happened, so I feel slightly disappointed about that."

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3640804a1823,00.html

nope, just go there and post articles that i see there, some people might not see them otherwise. i can stop if you want me to :)

i just dont have much to do when i am at work :D

Originally posted by woosaah@Apr 20 2006, 09:54 AM
nope, just go there and post articles that i see there, some people might not see them otherwise. i can stop if you want me to :)

keep it up man. I only visit this sight for my news, so I wouldn't know about these things if you didn't cut and paste them.

Marshall has never been one to not speak his mind. Would be good to have Marshall and Merhts reunited. Atleast socially for them.

what a f***ing c***. a flip flopping pansy. glad to see hes not in nz anymore.

yeah hes on the transfer market now. i would not be surpised at all if he hooked up with merts at quins. they have played a lot of rugby together and are good mates so the chance to play alongside each other again could go in quins favour

i can understand where he is coming from

he came to leeds to play top flight rugby and after relegation

maybe he doesnt want to play pushover **** league rugby

dont exactly know why that makes him a *****

its because your a yank, and in the nfl/nba/nhl etc. transfers are normal. in rugby you would play for 2 clubs your whole life. sometimes more. but mostly stick with the same one throughout your carrer, and if your good enough, play for a retirement team up north. but you stick with your team. through good times AND bad. you cant just join a team and quit when there losing. wanted to play in the top division? should have played better. mertz didnt quit. tane didnt. all he does is wine and moan. next thing you know he will be saying the amount of games hes playing is too much!

Marshall chasing ABs strip again
21 April 2006 
By COEN LAMMERS

Justin Marshall has his old All Blacks No. 9 strip in his sights and does not even mind pulling on an Auckland jersey to get it back for the 2007 World Cup.

Marshall was this week released from his two-year contract at Leeds after the club was relegated from the English Premiership and clubs from around Britain and France have already started knocking on his door. The former Crusaders and All Black halfback, however, is hoping for a lifeline from New Zealand to get a chance to fight his way back into Graham Henry's World Cup squad.

"Canterbury is in my heart â€" that would be my first option â€" but I have to weigh up all options," Marshall said from Leeds last night.

"But I might also fit into the plans in Auckland for example, where they could need a player of my experience while trying to develop someone in that position.

"I've got to be smart about it. I've got to see what is the best option for me and how I can challenge myself and the All Blacks selectors."

Despite his 32 years of age Marshall feels he has grown as a player in England and still has plenty to offer. The halfback said that in Canterbury he almost started taking winning for granted and was able to recycle ball quickly and go with the momentum of his team.

In an embattled Leeds side, however, Marshall said he had learned to cope with playing under pressure and the subsequent slower and static ball. "As a player you have to become more creative to manipulate the game. You have to think on your feet a lot more to create opportunities. I've learned a lot while being here."

Marshall admitted that he would have to take a hefty pay cut to return to New Zealand after a deal at Leeds which "according to my agent was one of the best he had seen in the UK".

"So if it was only about money, I would stay at Leeds, cruise in Division One and still get paid the same. But to me it is important to play competitive rugby every week, because I am competitive.

"With only one-two-three years rugby left in me I want to get the most out of my career," said Marshall, referring to a third tilt at the only prize eluding him in his career, the rugby World Cup.

When Marshall left New Zealand he took a swipe at the expanding rugby calender and last night said that could still be the major obstacle stopping his return. "The fact that Graham Henry has to send a separate squad to Argentina because tests are overlapping speaks volumes."

Marshall said he wanted a contract under which he could sit out part of the Super 14 or Air New Zealand Cup to keep fresh, "because I want to play at my best". "People might say you cannot pick and choose, but hey, I can really."

The Mataura man, however, remains sceptical whether a provincial union, and more importantly the New Zealand Rugby Union, would be willing to play ball. "I wonder whether they want someone who is reasonably outspoken back in their game. But I would like to put pressure on the halfbacks in New Zealand and I could probably keep my mouth shut for a bit."

[/b]

http://stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3643450a1823,00.html

if he comes back and goes to auckland i will hate him :D

thats like a kiwi claiming they are an aussie

its just not on

Just before he left he said he wanted to come back and play for southland in the npc.

I believe him..stupidly..now i read he may even play for auckland just to get into the ab's side for the world cup :(

He has scuppered his chances with many club's now, as he has shown he is a pure mercenary who has no loyalty, so with that in mind many clubs will decide against an approach, but it will never stop a club with more money then brains.

BM

Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 21 2006, 12:57 PM
He has scuppered his chances with many club's now, as he has shown he is a pure mercenary who has no loyalty, so with that in mind many clubs will decide against an approach, but it will never stop a club with more money then brains.

BM
I heard Saracens made an offer...

Originally posted by harrison2468+Apr 21 2006, 03:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Black-Monday
@Apr 21 2006, 12:57 PM

BM
I heard Saracens made an offer... [/b]
Beat me to it.

How long was it until Niky Little left Saracens? Another money player.

I still can't believe they are paying Farrell's wages, at least he said he would work out the years on his contract, some for free. I hope he is good, we need some decent centre's/Back rowers

BM

Originally posted by Black-Monday@Apr 21 2006, 04:36 PM
I hope he is good, we need some decent centre's/Back rowers

BM
I disagree about the back-row part. I reckon we have some good back-row players to come through, such as Lund, Rees, Skirving and Forrester for example, and I doubt he will be able to adapt to the position very well.

He may, if he plays, make a good centre in union, but I guess we will have to wait and see, but again, guys like Barkley, Tait, Abbott and Wilkinson can all play 12, so we have some options.

Latest posts