• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Martin Johnson

I'd say that's what counts against him rather than what happened during his international tenure.

Ain't like he's gone away and learned his trade to improve himself nor proven himself to any degree at club level.

'Cos of that, you'd have to say it would be a risky appointment but I would like to see a former Leicester player appointed.

Pretty much my thoughts on Johnson. I can understand him wanting to take some time out, but a lot of time has passed now and he's not made any obvious efforts to get back in to the game.

In comparison, I think the way Lancaster has reacted is a real credit to him. The World Cup exit must have been absolutely crushing for him and to then see more or less the same group of players perform so much better under someone else's leadership must have been a massive kick in the teeth, but in taking the post with Leinster he's shown that he doesn't have an ego and is willing to take a step back to take a step forward.

It suggests to me that he recognised at least some of his failings and is looking to learn from them and rebuild his career. Johnson hasn't done that.

Personally, I'd like to see Johnson back in rugby and doing well, but if the desire is there, it's not immediately apparent.

Latest posts