• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Martin Roberts could have died

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 10 2009, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Warren Gatland says he 'Didn't Want' a suspension to Carter, as it has absolutly no impact on Wales. He says he'd rather have had three points and possibly a carding, instead of a load of Italy's back.[/b]

he was never going to play in Milan so that point is irrelevant. Gatland really needs to stop with all these deflecting tactics and accept the responsibility himself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 11 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Warren Gatland says he 'Didn't Want' a suspension to Carter, as it has absolutly no impact on Wales. He says he'd rather have had three points and possibly a carding, instead of a load of Italy's back.[/b]

it was 10 minutes from full-time so a yellow card would not have had a major impact on the game. that was probably why they cited him and now he's suspended. In test matches these high tackles occur at least once or twice in the game, sometimes even more. These mostly go unseen and unpunished by the officials. And we must remember, these players are pros. Rugby is their trade and their living. Therefore, they ensure they are conditioned and prepared for incidents such as these. Not to say what Carter did was excusable.. definitely not.. he's copped a one match suspension anyway, so it did not go unpunished. Maybe the IRB should consider deducting match earnings for those players who are suspended. i think that will be a harder pill to swallow for players since rugby pays their salaries.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaiviti2 @ Nov 10 2009, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Nov 11 2009, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it was 10 minutes from full-time so a yellow card would not have had a major impact on the game. [/b][/quote]
Uh, I disagree. It would've been three points more (15 - 19, I believe), with 10 minutes with a man up, for Wales. And if I recall, the only time we've scored a try against New Zealand in recent years was when they were down a man.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Nov 8 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Carter should get a 6 month ban minimum.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (guardian_of_the_stone_age @ Nov 8 2009, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about Brendon Leonard's reckless assault on Stephens Jones' foot with his head? I see Leonard injured himself in the process and had to leave the field.[/b]

i think this sums it up. stephen jones kick to leonard was WAY worse than carters tackle. jones was dangerous and reckless. there was no real need to put a boot in to hack the ball away, and as a result leonard came away injured, whereas the tackle, there was no injury.

ive seen it a few times on the news, if anyone can put it up here it would be good, but when you see the close up it looks, like gatland wanted, a penalty offence. it hit around the top of the sholders going up (off memory) which is, yes a high tackle. however if anyone saw, or remembers the long end shot, where carter sprinted about 20-30m to cut him off, anyone going that speed would have nailed him. and thats why it looks so bad. he did flatten him. and would of regardless of where the tackle was made. it was always going to be a huge hit. but a week ban for a head high tackle? if i was henry, i wouldnt be complaining. not because it sould be longer, but an excuse to rotate players...

Everyone goes on about Carter but mentions nothing about Steven Jones Kicking Lenard in the head... Lenard off caused disruption in the backline

Though, to be fair on Stephen, the guy dived onto the ball after he swung his leg. I thought it looked a little jubious at first, too, though.

Stupid decision to give a one week ban. But ffs guys, stop defending what Carter did. It WAS a high tackle. It DIDN'T hit the shoulders first and slip up. I don't think the penalty would ave made much difference to the result, but if a yellow card was handed out, that could have easily changed the result in Wales' favour. In the end though, NZ deserved to win (probably by a bigger margin too), so I'm not too annoyed that this incident was missed.

How can you guys have a go at Stephen Jones for kicking the ball? Every player knows that if they dive on a ball like that, they're risking getting a boot somewhere. This is international rugby, where a hack through can often lead to try's. Stephen Jones was perfectly allowed to go for that ball, there was no malice in the incident. There was no malice in Carter's incident either, but a high tackle is a penalty every day of the week and quite often a yellow card (Henson v France 08).

Yes, but a punt to the head may not be intentional, but it was reckless, which is the same as an unintentional high tackle. It was also quite an aimless kick as well as the ball was clearly away from where Stephen Jone's foot landed, with little to no evidence of Jones trying to pull back. The "diving for the ball runs the risk of a punt to the head, must be the same as if you run with the ball you run the risk of a dangerous tackle, so your point is rather invalid. The reason that Jones's kick has been brought up is not condeming Jones, it is just pointinmg out the unfairness of Carter getting pinged, while Jones goes off scott free, and the 10+ times the replay was shown on the screen while Jones's reckless kick got replayed once, while the sholder charge on Cowan was ignored totally. If you would like instances in which these incidents have resulted in a yellow card or more you can look at Cowan being sent off for a sholder chare on Goperth in Highlanders vs Blues, or the incident in which the commentators (I believe it was Tony Johnson) mentioned of Colin Meads being sent off for the same incident. While Wales gets off scott free (which I don't disagree with), and then Gatland has the nerve to criticise the gaming authorities of favouring the All Blacks.

When a ball is on the floor, it's free game. Most players choose to hack the ball through, while the brave dive on the ball, knowing they're likely to get a boot somewhere. The amount of times Martyn Williams has had a boot to the back, face etc. etc. from diving on the ball is rediculous, none have resulted in a penalty and neither should they. A player is within rights to attempt to kick the ball if it's on the ground. The fact that Leanoard got in first and fell on the ball makes no difference. Stephen Jones was committed (in the same way a late tackle isn't a penalty if the tackler was already committed). This is in no way similar to a high tackle (again, not really having a go at Carter, just at you're comments).

What shoulder incident are you talking about? Can't say I recall it.

Would this whole high tackle have been made an issue of if we won the game?
At the end of the day, we lost, let's get over it, concentrate on the rest of the autumn internationals.

Was the "stephen-jones-attempted-clearence-that-injured-Leonard" seen as fowl play?
Bloody hell, either the sport is getting soft or the fans are acting like *****es even more now than ever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 12 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was the "stephen-jones-attempted-clearence-that-injured-Leonard" seen as fowl play?
Bloody hell, either the sport is getting soft or the fans are acting like *****es even more now than ever.[/b]

It's been the theme of the summer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 12 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At the end of the day, we lost, let's get over it, concentrate on the rest of the autumn internationals.

Bloody hell, either the sport is getting soft or the fans are acting like *****es even more now than ever.[/b]

think it's more Gatland and Edwards than the fans in fairness.

Bloody hell, this is rugby....not tiddlywinks.

Of course there's gonna be high-tackles and boots to the body...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 12 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 12 2009, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

think it's more Gatland and Edwards than the fans in fairness.
[/b][/quote]

I just heard a lot of people whining about the "carter tackle" and the "leonard injury" to be honest.

But if you're right, and Samoa play the game we know they like to play, then Gatland's gonna do a helluva lot of moaning after the game this friday.

Latest posts