• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Martin Roberts could have died

it was the BBC who were showing it constantly which was the feed being carried on the big screen.

Don't think the crowd were jeering through the Haka. The crowd were cheering! Seeing the Haka in person is a big thing to Welsh rugby supporters (remember the boos that rang out when the WRU forced the Haka to be carried out in the changing rooms?). What's wrong the crowd getting into the occasion and cheering?

Think you're getting it all a bit wrong here Gavin. I know Welsh supporters aren't the best when it comes to booing the kicker etc. But I thought they were perfectly entitled to boo Carter for that high tackle. Why the hell not? Player commits foul that's not picked up on = booing from the crowd. That's how things go!

You seem to have a bit of a gripe with Welsh supporters, why's that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Nov 8 2009, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Nov 9 2009, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Nov 8 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well Carter has now been cited for the tackle. Are you happy now Wales? We may not get to see the best number ten in the world carving up England <_< IMO he would not have been cited, if not for the endless replays of the tackle on the stadium big-screen.[/b]

What are you on about. Don't blaim an entire nation because the ref and touch judges didn't pick up on an obvious piece of foul play. The reason he's been cited, is because it went un=punished during the match. If a penalty, or yellow card was handed out, he wouldn't now be getting cited. I've seen tackles like that handed out yellows before, as he came in with a swinging arm. But I don't think it was delibriate, just a slightly miss-positioned last ditch tackle.

As I said in the Wales v NZ thread. I don't think it deserves a ban atall. Would be unfair on NZ and Carter.
[/b][/quote]

Well it was the guys in the stadium who decided to constantly it, and I am guessing they are Welsh, then the.... say 60,000 Welsh supports booing him for the rest of the match. Also I was pretty disgusted when the Welsh supported started to sing and jeer during the Haka - learn some respect, (this isn't centered around Wales, but the whole rugby world) take a leaf out of Munster's book. No cheering or anything during the Haka. You wouldn't jeer during a teams national anthem, so then why a rugby tradition going back decades?
[/b][/quote]

They weren;t jeering, they were cheering like Dullonian said, also a few chants of 'Wales! Wales!' could be heard. Wtf is wrong with that? There's nothing wrong with the crowd responding to the Haka, adds to the spectacle tbh. I was one of the crowd in last years match and I certainly was cheering, I loved seeing the Haka live, and the crowds responce was just as much part of the responce as what the team did.
Carter shouldn;t be banned, even a one week ban would be daft as there was no intent in it.

Totally agree. The Welsh were fine in their regard for the Haka. Even so, it's their house, they could boo, cheer, fart or disco dance during it if they wanted, but they were just cheering. So good on them for being as good as they were.

As for Daniel "Hitman" Carter, I'm sick and tired of his endless late and high hits. It's just an endless stream of foul play from him, he'll get whats coming to him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 9 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
As for Daniel "Hitman" Carter, I'm sick and tired of his endless late and high hits. It's just an endless stream of foul play from him, he'll get whats coming to him.[/b]

:huh:

You think he is a dirty player ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Nov 9 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 9 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Daniel "Hitman" Carter, I'm sick and tired of his endless late and high hits. It's just an endless stream of foul play from him, he'll get whats coming to him.[/b]

[/b][/quote]
I believe he was being sarcastic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Nov 9 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Nov 9 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 9 2009, 01:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
I believe he was being sarcastic.
[/b][/quote]

Ahh ok :ph34r:

Carter would most probably get a weeks suspention, it has been said he was going to sit out next weeks game regardless :L

I saw on the news tonight that the All Blacks management were saying the don't think he should be punished at all, seeing as the tackle was a yellow card at the most and you can only be cited for a red card offense. I can't say I know the rules or citing system, as inconsistent as it is, well enough to know if this is right or not, but if this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get off.

Which would mean more moaning by Gatland.

well the low end recommendation for a high tackle is 2 weeks but you'd imagine that he'll only get a week at most given his past record, the fact that he's already apologised and Williams himself hasn't made a big deal about it, unlike Kennedy and his antics at the RDS before he backtracked big time. If the whole thing is dismissed then they've really got to question the citing commissioner in question.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 9 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well the low end recommendation for a high tackle is 2 weeks but you'd imagine that he'll only get a week at most given his past record, the fact that he's already apologised and Williams himself hasn't made a big deal about it, unlike Kennedy and his antics at the RDS before he backtracked big time. If the whole thing is dismissed then they've really got to question the citing commissioner in question.[/b]

Yeah to be fair to Wales, the players are being pretty great about things, it's Gatland who's boo-hooing about it all.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Nov 9 2009, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I saw on the news tonight that the All Blacks management were saying the don't think he should be punished at all, seeing as the tackle was a yellow card at the most and you can only be cited for a red card offense. I can't say I know the rules or citing system, as inconsistent as it is, well enough to know if this is right or not, but if this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get off.

Which would mean more moaning by Gatland.[/b]
I'm pretty sure any kind of foul play can be cited. I've heard commentators saying in the past that if an incident goes unnoticed on the pitch, it can often be worse for the player, because there's then more of a chance he'll be cited and suspended. Of course serious actis of foul play will come with a suspension no matter if it was seen and dealt with on the pitch, it's just these smaller incidents that normally wouldn't be cited if the ref had seen it.

An incident certainly doesn't have to be a red card offence to be cited, I know that much. For instance, Jon Thomas got cited and suspended for something which wouldn't have been more than a yellow if the officialls had caught him at the time.

As others have said, it deserved a yellow at most, depending on the ref. However I don't think it's fair that Carter get's punished because of the ref's incompetence. It's not going to help Wales now! If he get's a week, it does no harm, as Carter wasn't going to play this week anyway, but if he get's two, I'll be very annoyed!

Carter gets a 1 week ban for the tackle. Not surprised by that as he wouldnt have played Italy anyway.

Thats a disgrace. The man could have died for gods sake!

Surely he should at least start the next game with 10 minutes in the bin?

Gatland, Edwards, Blackett and the Oussie citing officer should all hang their heads. Sadly however, this is another example of how the game has found yet another low.

How did Tana put it; "This ain't tiddlywinks mate"

Absolutely ridiculous. I cannot see why the iRB is so inconsistent with its punishments. The only thing it is consistent with is that all the decisions they make are wrong.

Warren Gatland says he 'Didn't Want' a suspension to Carter, as it has absolutly no impact on Wales. He says he'd rather have had three points and possibly a carding, instead of a load of Italy's back.