TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47707481_martyn_t_stretcher_huw766.jpg

Newport Gwent Dragons full-back Martyn Thomas is targeting a return from his horrific injury suffered in their defeat by Cardiff Blues in April 2010.

The 23-year-old has recovered from five leg fractures, ruptured ankle ligaments and a dislocated ankle, and hopes to be back by the end of the month.

"I just can't wait to get fit and back playing," said Thomas.

"My goal is to get back into the side and cement my place for the second half of the season."

Play was halted during the game for almost 10 minutes as Thomas received on-field treatment for his second-half injury.

The incident happened as the full-back led an attack deep in the Blues' 22.

Now Thomas has returned to training and is aiming to be part of the Dragons' trip to Sale Sharks in the LV Cup on Friday, 28 January.

"It's been a tough process," said conditioning coach James Knight. "He's back into skills sessions. We hope to have him back at end of January.

"Martyn's has been out for a long time after his lower leg injury in the Cardiff Blues game last season - he's also had a hip operation since.

"As a result of this, his rehab was initially pretty chaotic, and it's been a tough process."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ng_dragons/9364018.stm

Read this a few days ago, its great news, hopefully he'll come back and regain his form and the fitness required to step up and play for Wales possibly at the World Cup. I think the 6 Nations has come too soon for him but its a real bonus for the Dragons and Wales that hes almost fit to return.

Are we talking about Lee Byrne, or Martyn Thomas here???!

I don't expect him to get his form back before the WC. It takes time to recover from an injury as severe as this. I think it will take him a while to break fully back into the Dragons starting 15. There's always the possibility that he'll never fully recover, many better players have failed in the past.

You are right there Dull, lets just hope that isn't the case.
He was showing quite a bit of potential and some serious pace.

Hopefully he can pick up where he left of. As said, unlikely, but he'll be a big boost for the Dragons as they finally have a proper Fullback.

Personally I think Turner will use him off the bench for a while whilst getting some gametime at Newport. If they rush him back he will have a breakdown!

Latest posts