• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

matt burke approached by wallabies

E

esoj

just saw this as I was browsing the tvnz sport site. it seems very interesting that burke would be approached seemingly out of the blue. I though there would be other fullbacks like gerrad mitchell larkham before sending an S.O.S to burke was sent. I guess not.

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1024218

That was a rather polite, decent and well thought out response by Burke. There is no doubt that there are players such as himself, for which a stint in Europe has a rejuvenating effect.

I'm sure his leadership qualities could have offered the Wallabies something they have been lacking for a while now.

Yeah he would have been able to bring leadership to the team but do you think he would have been able to bring a standard high enough that could have helped orchestrate a RWC win?

I think he would've bought standard enough to be one player in a world cup winning side, yes.

I don't think he could've individually bought a standard of play high enough to win a world cup, no.

Connolly is a tosser for even considering burke. [/b]

I don't know about you (well i do actually), but i can't judge Connolly as being a tosser for asking a tried and proven leader to help out his team. :)

Agreed. I love the reasons stated. That is none. Burke may be 34, but is still a top-line player. He wasn't promoted to captain due to overall crap performances. Maybe Haj thinks so.....?

<div class='quotemain'> Connolly is a tosser for even considering burke. [/b]

I don't know about you (well i do actually), but i can't judge Connolly as being a tosser for asking a tried and proven leader to help out his team. :)
[/b][/quote]

You must have a short memory then. Burkes last couple years as a wallaby was forgetable.
Leadership on the field means stuff all if you cant hold your on on the paddock. And on the international stage he would struggle at either fullback or on the wing.
It was eddie jones short sightedness that has got us in this predicament in the first place and connolly appears to be going down the same track. Have some faith in the young players we have and if they fail the experience will be better for them in the long run. All due respect to burke. He was a champion in his day.

Hmmmm. Respect to the youth, honestly. Name one barmstorming aussie young player who has had more than one season of playing exceptionally well at test level.

Not knocking you. Lets look. Lets.

Agreed. I love the reasons stated. That is none. Burke may be 34, but is still a top-line player. He wasn't promoted to captain due to overall crap performances. Maybe Haj thinks so.....?
[/b]

While we're at it lets bring kefu back at number 8!!! Weve had a rotating door of back rowers since he left!
In fact lets get roff to come back on the wing or even kearnsey or noriega to put some mongrel in our front row!!
YEH THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA!!!

Ok, you've proven how youth beats experience.

Well proven.
[/b]

Sorry im not out to prove anything or score points against nerds on the internet.
If u think calling back "has beens" to correct what in effect could be a longterm problem is a good idea then its just as well ure not the coach of the wallabies.

And just as well you not a coach full stop. Nerds on the internet. Laughable how I'm one and your not.

Nerds, hmmm.......I love how you show you aren't one. Scoring points on the net? What points?

Has been's? You are one of the many who counts the british system as being crap because we aren't living there. How old was the average age of the last World Cup winning squad? World record winningly low wasn't it?

Oops, I just used a fact against an insult. What an ass I made of myself.

And just as well you not a coach full stop. Nerds on the internet. Laughable how I'm one and your not.

Nerds, hmmm.......I love how you show you aren't one. Scoring points on the net? What points?

Has been's? You are one of the many who counts the british system as being crap because we aren't living there. How old was the average age of the last World Cup winning squad? World record winningly low wasn't it?

Oops, I just used a fact against an insult. What an ass I made of myself.
[/b]

The English Winning team werent has beens. Yes they were old but every single player was involved with the 4 years in the making(many even longer) leading up to their victory in Australia. There was no "knee jerk" reaction involved with their place on the team. They were obviously the best players at their positions and were eligible to play for england.
Where did i ever say he brittish system was crap? Now you r making things up to score points "LIKE A TRUE NERD". Our rules stipulate that in order to qualify as a wallaby you need to be contracted to an australian provincial team. This means regardless of his age Burke should not have ever been considered .Thats the ARU's rules.not mine. FACT!
How old are you?

Not much older than you.

You have responded to my posts by insinuating that I wanted Roff, Kearns or Noriega at one point. You have called me a nerd at one point, and then re-iterated it. This forum is not a place for personal insults (in my club and I'm sure in yours we'd have more than words), but we should stick to the issues.

We in NZ have used Leon McDonald after he came back from a stint in Japan and not called it a mistake. No-one said that a player shouldn't have to play a part in a national comp like s14, although we all know now that Burke won't be in that (and fair play to him). I just merely said that in my opinion you were selling him short.

So, lets get over internet-heavy phase and move onto the real issues. I'm now telling you that, call me a nerd (or any insult I deem offensive) I'll delete your helpful posts.

I wasnt insinuating your thoughts at all. Rather i was being severely sarcastic about the topic in general. It was just unfortunate i chose to quote u as i could have easily quoted anybody else in the thread with the same line of thought as yours.

"(in my club and I'm sure in yours we'd have more than words)"......does that mean involving handbags?

I think the use of Leon Macdonald is a poor example. For one he has come back and have since established himself as the best fullback in NZRU in the S14 competition. I think a more better comparison to Burke is Christian Cullen. Hypothetically speaking how would you feel if the Allblacks went through a spell like the Reds and lost their 2 best fullbacks in macdonald and muliaina(which they have) thru injury and in NZRU wisdom they decided in a RWC year it would be better to call back Christian Cullen instead of giving other promising young guys like toeava(sp?), cory jane etc etc a shot.
Sure we lost latham but how can they discount giving a guy like cameron shepherd a shot to start at fullback(his favoured position). Theres other young guys who would learn from the experience like adam ashley cooper , and drew mitchell and at least they'll still be around when the next world cup swings by. And no! i dont think Andrew Walker is the solution either!
I still have nightmares from 2003 and 2004 of guys like mat burke and elton flatley getting smoked continuously by guys like rockococo, howlett and muliaina.

Grow up Haj...you're supposed to be 31 and you're acting like a little brat? Insulting C.A Iversen for having a different opinion (albeit the better opinion) by calling him a 'nerd' is absolutley pointless.

We're here to discuss our opinions and provide proof, not to stoop as low as to start insulting other members when you can't provide a sufficient argument.

Also you said bring Noriega and Kearnsey back to the front row. What stupidity. They are both retired and both are almost 40.

When u go back to school on monday, ask ur teach what sarcasm is all about.
There's still hope u might learn something before u graduate this year. ;)

Latest posts