• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Matt Stevens fails drug test

you make an example of him because not all players are the brightest buttons in the box and some may well be thinking, "ah well if he only gets a slap on the wrist then I'll probably get the same and that's even if I get caught". I shouldn't really have to mention the fact that it's far more dangerous for professional sportsmen to be doing cocaine than regular joes. He does need to be made an example of.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 21 2009, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jan 20 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 20 2009, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jan 20 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 20 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In which case he should be excluded.

Munsterman, would you be happy with Geechs picking Stevens ahead of someone else for the Lions tour on the basis of this evidence? I wouldn't.[/b]

Going to be contraversial here and say if hes available and he is the best then yes he deserves to go on the tour! No matter what he has done! For me it takes some balls to admit it and come out and say it, of course im not saying its right to take drugs here now!

Hes stupid and has made a mistake!
[/b][/quote]

and ordinarily you pay for your mistakes, you don't give him a wrap on the knuckles simply cause he may be the best tighthead option for the Lions. What sort of message would that send to other professionals, oh it's grand now I can do recreational drugs but then admit I've got a problem and then everything should be hunky dory.

Since Sailor got a 2 year ban Stevens should be treated no differently.
[/b][/quote]

Wow he aint the best tighthead, theres Euan Murray and Adam Jones!
[/b][/quote]
Adam Jones LOL!! :lol:
[/b][/quote]
Watch it, buster!!

I'll just echo some of the remarks made regarding this. I think regardless of why he did it, or whether he needs help or not, Matt has not lived up to his responsibility as a sportsman. Drug taking during the competitive season is ridiculous (not that I agree with cocaine outside the season) as there is so much chance of you getting caught. He is a role model to younger players and on top of that, an ambassador for the game and this cant be let off lightly.

In the light of what happened with Wendell Sailor, a 2 year ban is the only decision that can be made at this point. No matter how much England may need him.

Such a silly thing to do, it really is.

2 year ban is that all shouldn't he be getting locked up just like every other person on this earth would be or is he immune to that because he's a professional sports player?.

I think he should be looking at time behind bars if it's cocaine gees if anyone was found with cocaine in their system I know they wouldn't get a slap on the wrist and be told to go to time out.

I think it is terrible how the "gentlemans game" has turned this way. It is supposed to be a sport that keeps its integrity.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Jan 21 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'll just echo some of the remarks made regarding this. I think regardless of why he did it, or whether he needs help or not, Matt has not lived up to his responsibility as a sportsman. Drug taking during the competitive season is ridiculous (not that I agree with cocaine outside the season) as there is so much chance of you getting caught. He is a role model to younger players and on top of that, an ambassador for the game and this cant be let off lightly.

In the light of what happened with Wendell Sailor, a 2 year ban is the only decision that can be made at this point. No matter how much England may need him.

Such a silly thing to do, it really is.[/b]

No question about it.

2 year ban is warranted.

I've absolutely no sympathy for the guy. He's a professional sportsman, earning a lot of money to do something most of us can only dream of.

It's also annoying that these sportsmen always come out with the sob story about having a "problem" and their "addiction" once they have been caught. The only real problem Steven's has now is that he's been caught, and now he's trying to play the sympathy card. Let's look at a major point here though. If Stevens is addicted to a recreational drug, be it a physical or pshychological addiction, he wasn't bord with it. He wasn't born taking cocaine/cannabis, or whatever this drug may be. To get to that stage Stevens has had to willingly take an illegal drug (probably thinking he's a bit of a bigshot international rugby player in the process) on a regular basis.

With that in mind, it's an addiction of his own making. I would doubt he's really addicted to anything though. Either way my heart pumps pish for him.

Sidestepping the discussion a bit here, but I think this is a great opportunity for rugby as a sport, as a community to make a mark here.

I think Bath and the RFU should make a point here, that when professional players do something like this, it's not about punishing him, but about helping him.
Sure, he should receive a ban inappropriate behavior, but it shouldn't be about punishment. It should be about helping him beating this habit. It seems to be
something serious that has effected his whole life, not just his rugby. The first priority should be helping him, not punishing him. Of course, punishment
is always part of the process, accepting what you did and repenting your "sins", but the focus should be on him coming back a better man and a better player.

Make him into a positive example, rather than a negative one, because slapping a two-year ban on him will do little good. Giving it a positive twist, and teaching
kids/young adults they can beat addictions, and the value of the support of your team, both on and off the field.

And after that, Johnny Wilkinson can go give the hoodies who beat up an old lady last night a great big cuddle.

Nidhogg, you've not read what I wrote at all. Or at least you have and ignored it completly.

It's all very well saying we'll be all cuddly and sweet about it, and help the poor sportsman get over his demons and addiction. My point is though that I doubt he really does have an addiction. I imagine he uses the drug (whatever it may be) in a social basis, and as with most people who take this drug/s thinks that he knows better and that he's above the law.

And even to get to a stage of being addicted to a drug you have to start out with it at a certain point and then take it on a regular basis over a period of time.

I'm sick of these people being treated like poor little lost souls whenever they are caught and then try and play the sympathy card. I hope he enjoys his two year suspension. That should show other people that it's an issue that won't be tolerated.

IF he's been on the beak, he should never play rugby or any other professional sport again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Will @ Jan 21 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nidhogg, you've not read what I wrote at all. Or at least you have and ignored it completly.[/b]

That's a bit presumptuous, either I have not read it, or I have ignored it, which means that I either must agree with your conclusion, or have drawn a wrong conclusion.
Yes, I read your post, no, I did not ignore it, yes, I reached a different conclusion. It's called an opinion, based on very subjective facts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
It's all very well saying we'll be all cuddly and sweet about it, and help the poor sportsman get over his demons and addiction. My point is though that I doubt he really does have an addiction. I imagine he uses the drug (whatever it may be) in a social basis, and as with most people who take this drug/s thinks that he knows better and that he's above the law. And even to get to a stage of being addicted to a drug you have to start out with it at a certain point and then take it on a regular basis over a period of time.[/b]

I doubt he's as worse of as life-time addict, but addictions can come in many forms, and some people are more easily effected than others. In his interview he mentions he used it for a while (it wasn't his first time).
It wouldn't surprise me if he had some form of addiction, it doesn't take that much to become hooked on substances like coke. It doesn't have to take that long, some people get hooked on cocaine the first time they use it, others can use it for months and then suddenly quit without any hassle.

I'm sick of these people being treated like poor little lost souls whenever they are caught and then try and play the sympathy card. I hope he enjoys his two year suspension. That should show other people that it's an issue that won't be tolerated.[/b]

I don't think it should be tolerated that professional sports players use drugs on a regular basis. I never suggested to cut all the punishment, but it should take a more balanced part, the other half being him getting help, getting rid of the drugs, and being put on the stand as an example on how to deal with an addiction.

Studies show punishment works very effectively as a deterrent. When the mistake has already been made, it is only of use to enforce the deterrent. Dealing with the person should not be focussed on the deterrent, but on helping him get out of this situation effectively. Yes he should be punished, but he should also be helped out by the community. That, in my eyes, is what rugby stands for, to help people when they are at their worst as well, like the way my old team used to collectively not drink when our alcoholist buddy was playing with us, instead of tossing him out the door for destroying our stuff earlier.

Matt Stevens is a professional rugby player at the top of his game, also a test level player. No doubt he has worked like a mule to get where he is today. He KNOWS what is required of him as a person, on and off the field as a professional sportman. He KNOWS difference between RIGHT and WRONG. Firstly has let himself down, and secondly has let down anyone who works, or gives support to Matt or an ethic that Matt supports.

He will now lose his place at Bath and England, and working up the ladder after 2 years out banned is going to be extremely hard to say the least. A player of his calibre is such a waste to lose in this manner, but i can't see any other option than a lengthy ban.

I have no sympathy for Matt. Sure, he is a very good rugby player.. but he obviously has enough issues with drugs that he cannot hide the fact and he cannot continue his role as a pro rugby player because the issue is taking over. If this was me or you, you would expect to be sacked.. so the same should happen here. He needs some help, and i don't think he should have the book thrown at him, but he needs some serious rehab and time to reflect on his mistake.

The problem with this type of thing is that it brings the game into disrepute also. It gives a bad name for Rugby, it messes up the hard work that people have made in connection to Matt Stevens. Sure, i can understand that pro sports has it's stresses.. it's not a cakewalk.. but this is just dumb. Almost like he wanted to get caught.

I mean, it's easier to retire and then come back should you feel the need to come back. At least you can come back. I think that although 2 years is too long for this kind of thing that is non-performance enhancing, he must be made an example of. Drugs is drugs. He knows his role and responsibilities.

He is no Caucau by any stretch of the imagination.. but what can you do when someone respected and well-known, makes a cock-up of epic proportions? When someone does something 'out of character' there is no such thing. It's in his character to try the stuff in the first place, and once is enough to get caught out.

That's whats happened here and unfortunately he is the one who will suffer the most. If it was me, i would have just told the club that i needed to sort myself out.. take a time out.. it doesn't have to go to the press until he gets himself clean. It's no different than being injured for a season. The most important thing is your self-respect and well-being.. in this case, Rugby is secondary if he has developed a habit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nidhogg @ Jan 21 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Will @ Jan 21 2009, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nidhogg, you've not read what I wrote at all. Or at least you have and ignored it completly.[/b]

That's a bit presumptuous, either I have not read it, or I have ignored it, which means that I either must agree with your conclusion, or have drawn a wrong conclusion.
Yes, I read your post, no, I did not ignore it, yes, I reached a different conclusion. It's called an opinion, based on very subjective facts.

It's all very well saying we'll be all cuddly and sweet about it, and help the poor sportsman get over his demons and addiction. My point is though that I doubt he really does have an addiction. I imagine he uses the drug (whatever it may be) in a social basis, and as with most people who take this drug/s thinks that he knows better and that he's above the law. And even to get to a stage of being addicted to a drug you have to start out with it at a certain point and then take it on a regular basis over a period of time.[/b]

I doubt he's as worse of as life-time addict, but addictions can come in many forms, and some people are more easily effected than others. In his interview he mentions he used it for a while (it wasn't his first time).
It wouldn't surprise me if he had some form of addiction, it doesn't take that much to become hooked on substances like coke. It doesn't have to take that long, some people get hooked on cocaine the first time they use it, others can use it for months and then suddenly quit without any hassle.

I'm sick of these people being treated like poor little lost souls whenever they are caught and then try and play the sympathy card. I hope he enjoys his two year suspension. That should show other people that it's an issue that won't be tolerated.[/b]

I don't think it should be tolerated that professional sports players use drugs on a regular basis. I never suggested to cut all the punishment, but it should take a more balanced part, the other half being him getting help, getting rid of the drugs, and being put on the stand as an example on how to deal with an addiction.

Studies show punishment works very effectively as a deterrent. When the mistake has already been made, it is only of use to enforce the deterrent. Dealing with the person should not be focussed on the deterrent, but on helping him get out of this situation effectively. Yes he should be punished, but he should also be helped out by the community. That, in my eyes, is what rugby stands for, to help people when they are at their worst as well, like the way my old team used to collectively not drink when our alcoholist buddy was playing with us, instead of tossing him out the door for destroying our stuff earlier.
[/b][/quote]

Well said, agree whole heartedly.

Everybody makes mistakes, I used to smoke quite a bit of weed, alot of my mates in uni took speed etc. every once in a while. Luckily, none of us got addicted (well, I was probably addicted to weed for a couple of years, but it's easier than tobbacco to overcome), but some people do, and to everyone who smokes/smoked, emagine an addiction 10x worse or more. We don't look down on smokers in the same way (but it's legal some of you might say, but it's still a stupid thing to do, it's killing you, and others around you), I someked for 7 years btw, quit 6months ago.

So yes, if he's got a problem he needs help. But at the same time, he needs punishment, 2years ban to start. He should then be treated the same as any other person would, if that's a prison sentance (he wasn't caught with possetion though), then so be it.

At the end of the day, these people are role models for kids etc. It needs to be made clear that this kinda behavious won't be tolerated. Same should be done for other celebrities, Amy Winehouse and that d*ck from Baby Shambles comes to mind.

Stevenson works in a job which requires certain things of himself. That he will look after himself physically in terms of his strict excercise regime and his diet is a given. It's also perfectly clear to all professional sportspersons the rules and regulations regarding drugs. Both legal and illegal, given the numerous doping scandals there have been over the years.

So I'll say it again. Even if Stevenson is addicted to any illegal drug, the fact is that it's a self made addiction. No one forced him to take cocaine/cannabis or whatever this drug may be. At some point in his professional career, and continuiously since, he's made the choice to ingest an illegal substance.

In my job I'm bound to similar rules and regulations. If I'm found to have taken an illegal drug then I'm out on my backside. That was made perfectly clear from the start and I accepted that as a term of employment. I wouldn't expect people out there to give me much sympathy for making such a stupid mistake, so why should Stevenson be deserving of any?

OK here's something for you all to consider: why is everyone here so against drugs?

Jawmalawm you're the most extreme; as if anyone ever went behind bars for personal use...

Otherwise, using any recreational drug; be it tobacco, alcohol, cocaine, weed etc. is purely a personal decision. A number of professional sportsmen smoke; which is far worse for your health than cocaine... also the drinking habits of rugby players is legendary. Now personally if I were a pro sportsman, I wouldn't go near anything because it's my body that earns my living. But it's up to them to make that decision, not us.

So with regards to any criminal action, PLEASE. Never in the history of anti-drug law enforcement has criminalising anything made the situation better. As far as I'm concerned all drugs should have the same status as tobacco; ie. they're slightly taboo, taxed heavily and legislated against, but essentially legal. That removes the crime all around it. Why would anyone smuggle something in if it can be imported; why would anyone pay dirt poor Peruvians to risk their lives producing a product if it can be grown legally; and why would anyone bother to dilute ecstasy pills with other substances if they can sell pure MDMA legally?

As for disciplinary... well it's clear Stevens needs rehabilitation or some form of help. If we jump down his throat, tell him he can't play rugby again, what's he going to do? Rugby's his life and presumably his only qualification. Sending him out onto the scrap heap means he'll have no attention from anyone and will boot him well down the path to self destruction. Addiction is something that plays upon a weakness; it takes a special sort of human being to overcome a weakness like that on their own, and it's certainly not as easy as saying 'well I've learnt my lesson'. Matt Stevens hasn't harmed anyone but himself. He's let his employers down, and for that he should suffer the consequences that we all face... it's up to Bath to discipline him and no one else.

Oh dear, the idiots are running the asylum now that people are comparing tobacco to cocaine.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 21 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And after that, Johnny Wilkinson can go give the hoodies who beat up an old lady last night a great big cuddle.[/b]

:bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 21 2009, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh dear, the idiots are running the asylum now that people are comparing tobacco to cocaine.[/b]

:bravo:

I can always appreciate a good troll :lol:

I fully agreee. The only damage he is doing is to himself and his reputation. Unfortunatly he will be getting a 2 year ban. A local player who plays in the national leagues was also positive for cocaine and he got 2 years. They tend to be very harsh with this type of thing. Shame cos hes a good player and always seems like a great guy(except he plays for Bath)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 20 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jan 20 2009, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 20 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jan 20 2009, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 20 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In which case he should be excluded.

Munsterman, would you be happy with Geechs picking Stevens ahead of someone else for the Lions tour on the basis of this evidence? I wouldn't.[/b]

Going to be contraversial here and say if hes available and he is the best then yes he deserves to go on the tour! No matter what he has done! For me it takes some balls to admit it and come out and say it.!
[/b][/quote]

In fairness he was caught, this isn't a voluntary declaration of guilt, he failed the test after the Glasgow match in December, so it's not like he had an epiphany and suddenly thought I should come clean and go and get myself some counselling, do you think he'd be doing this is he wasn't randomly tested?
[/b][/quote]

He announced this himself on Sky Sports News, from somewhere ive just read!
[/b][/quote]

Yes he gave an interview to Sky Sports News but he failed the test over a month ago, it's not a voluntary admission of guilt.
[/b][/quote]

Quoted from the BBC:

Bath say they feel "let down" by Matt Stevens after his public admission that he failed a drugs test.[/b]

He failed it over a month ago .... so why was nothing said then?

Latest posts