• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Matt Stevens fails drug test

Thats ******** to say 100% of smokers behave themselves after smoking, ive had a cigarette stubbed out in my face by a smoker!

The way you talk to people, I'm not in the slightest bit surprised by that.

They proberbly stubbed it out in your face because you annoyed the hell out of them, not because the tobacco made them go crazy and loose all sense of control.

@ nidhogg

I understand your arguments over alcohol and tobacco, but most people will be sensible with these substances.

Wheras class a drugs such as coke or heroin quickly dictate what the user does. It's so addictive and the effects so great that it's bound to have a much bigger effect on users than the two afformentioned drugs.

You seem to like your statistics, but they are not on the same playing field. There is hundreds if not thousands times the people consuming alcohol/tobbacco than those who use class A drugs. I'm sure if you looked at the same amount of people i.e 10,000 alcohol drinkers, 10,000 smokers, 10,000 heroin addicts, those statistics would change substancially, showing heroin kills more lives and effects more people (muggings, theft etc.) than the other two.

At the end of the day, drugs have been put in certain groups for a reason, class A drugs are highly harmful and have no place in society.

I know your idea of 'the goverment shouldn't interfere with my life' thing is great, but it would send out the wrong message. It's important to keep the message that drugs are bad, especially the ones that cause the most harm (class A). Legalising them would destroy that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 21 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thats ******** to say 100% of smokers behave themselves after smoking, ive had a cigarette stubbed out in my face by a smoker![/b]
That's just a retarded statement. Tobacco didn't cause that, the guy smoking it being an utter tosser did.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Face it, coke is a scurge on society and cannot be is very often no taken responsibly, like evey other class A drug. Alcohol however can, as can tobacco.[/b]

Face it, alcohol is a scourge on society, and is often not take responsibly, and that kills every week than than coke over an entire year.

Unlike coke, it also kills a huge amount of people who didn't even take the substance to begin with, and is thus a leading cause in infringing upon other people's safety. [/b][/quote]

You missed the point completely.[/b][/quote]

I might have missed the responsibility point, but you completely miss the other two points I make about alcohol.

coke is a scurge on society and cannot be taken responsibly. Alcohol however can, as can tobacco.[/b]

Therein is the problem. People who binge drink to get ****** up and cause trouble are just as bad as coke takers.

Nobody however will sit down with a line of coke to (for example) relax infront ot a film with the wife. They take it to go hyperactive while in a social environment, which in turn causes trouble all around.

90% of people who drink behave themselves and cause no problems for anyone. 100% of (tobacco) smokers behave themselves after a smoke.

100% of cocaine users however go hyperactive, loud, aggressive and break the law.[/b][/quote]

90% of people who drink behave themselves, get real. More like 50% if you're lucky on a standard party night.

Not 100% of people who use coke go out breaking the law (other than the law against use they broke), that's nonsense.
Even if only 10% of people who drink go nuts, that's obviously more than enough to kill thousand of people ever year, which you are comfortable just to skirt over.

Anyway, this is going nowhere. I've had my say and so did you, I don't see this going anywhere, unless you can suddenly come up with a convincing argument.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danny @ Jan 22 2009, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thats ******** to say 100% of smokers behave themselves after smoking, ive had a cigarette stubbed out in my face by a smoker![/b]
Sorry, won't do it again. I just wanted that hissing sound.

Id rather see him have a end of season ban, tested again to see if he is clean. He should also serve some time in the rugby community service if possible e.g. help coaching, talking to people about what he has done wrong. Stevens should be regularly targeted by the sports drugs people to see if he is clean of drugs!

well given it can be out of your system in as little as 5 days that's not much of an incentive.

Nobody has mentioned his "friends" in all of this...

Stevens is good friends with quite a few other premiership players locally, so I suspect they will be targeted in the next couple of months for "random" drug tests... I believe there was a rumour circulating last year that Barkley was a regular user of a recreational substance, but allowed it to flush out of the system before the next game...

Whats stopping these players using the recreational drug on a Saturday night (after a saturday game) and then not using it again til the following week, this would not be picked up by a drug test after a game??

Just a Further Statement from Bath Rugby

Further statement made to the media today by Bob Calleja.
This week should have been all about the anticipation of classic winner-takes-all match at the Rec. Instead the headlines have been dominated by Matt Stevens.

The facts are these:

The Club was informed by ERC, the Heineken Cup organisers, on Monday evening that Matt had failed a drugs test of a sample taken after the Glasgow match on December 14th.

The Club immediately informed Matt of this and, in accordance with International Rugby Board regulations, suspended the player; such suspension to remain in force until the disciplinary process, as laid out in the ERC competition regulations, has been completed.

On Tuesday, Matt was interviewed by Sky Sports and admitted to having taken a banned recreational substance consistent with the findings of the drugs test.

Matt remains suspended from the Club pending the completion of disciplinary processes.

This is a very serious matter and the Club does not, and will not, condone the use of illegal recreational or performance-enhancing drugs by any of its employees.

But it must also ensure that disciplinary processes are fairly conducted and allowed to reach their proper conclusion.

Only then will the Club make another public statement on the matter.

Bob Calleja - Wednesday 21st January[/b]

Why has it taken the ERC 1 month (including 1 round of European Rugby) to let Bath know that he had failed a drug test, now obviously I am a Bath supporter and I want to see our best players playing 100% of the time, but in my opinion if a player has failed a drug test it is unfair on the competition to let him play in the next round of fixtures, I want to see Rugby played on a level field not a split field...

Charlie, you may know the ansewer; Is Stevens good friends with Dan Browne? Rumour has it before he left us he was heavily using the white stuff (a 6 week huatus didn't help his cause).

I believe he has been seen out with him, but also there are a lot of Gloucester, Bristol and some of the boyo's from Wales which Stevens is known to hang around with.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (getofmeland @ Jan 22 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nobody has mentioned his "friends" in all of this...

Stevens is good friends with quite a few other premiership players locally, so I suspect they will be targeted in the next couple of months for "random" drug tests... I believe there was a rumour circulating last year that Barkley was a regular user of a recreational substance, but allowed it to flush out of the system before the next game...

Whats stopping these players using the recreational drug on a Saturday night (after a saturday game) and then not using it again til the following week, this would not be picked up by a drug test after a game??[/b]

well in extreme cases it can stay in your system for up to 22 days. I'd wager a guess that it's more down to how the cocaine reacts to the individual system rather than suggesting it's a matter of the quantity consumed. So it's certainly a dangerous game to play.

I'm sure the clubs randomly test their players as well but I assume they'd be within their rights to test the entire squad, which could well have already happened in the light of current events.

Latest posts