Mauger confirms return to New Zealand

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by munross, Jan 22, 2010.

1. munross

munross Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=23930

He will have a hard time getting back into the All Blacks team with Nonu and McAlister around, but his experience might be a factor at the end of the day

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. William18

William18 Guest

Nonu is one of the players in the All Blacks who I like the most and I think he has done really well over the past two season. I wouldn't trust him with a World Cup Final, I would put Mauger in there.

4. candybum

candybum Guest

I reckon it sucks that they leave and then come back and take over from someones who's worked hard and improved a lot.

I reckon once they leave the country, they should be banned from playing for the AB's forever! lol

That said, i agree with you William18 but i'd have a little more faith in Nonu after what's he's done in the couple years.

5. Nickdnz

Nickdnz Guest

Yeah, he'll definetly have a tough time getting in the AB's. Hayman is the next on the come home list, and I can't see him having much trouble getting the loosehead starting spot off Tialata. Interesting to see how Mauger's season goes though.

6. Nesreviac

Nesreviac Guest

I think Mauger's first 4-5 games back will see everyone judging how good/bad, ready/not he is, when really it's going to take the whole Super 14 to really get an idea of where he's at.

7. esoj

esoj Guest

I think he's got a good chance getting his spot back. 12 has been a huge problem area since he left and nobody has really nailed it that well. he will have competition though the likes of nonu and mcalister won't give up without a fight.

8. MunsterMan

MunsterMan Guest

In Mites absence, I will make the obligatory "He has been shite for Leicester!" post.

Strange how decorated internationals with bags of experience like Chris Jack and Aaron Mauger make so little impact in the NH when guys like Paul Warwick, Nick Evans and Luke McCallister tear it up.

Mauger strikes me as less skillful and dynamic than Nonu/Luke but a much better rugby brain. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Will he even be an automatic choice for the Crusaders? I seem to remember hearing good things about their 12.

9. jawmalawm24

jawmalawm24 Guest

There's so many other players he has to go pass before he even considers about trying to get into the All Blacks squad again. So much talent has appeared since he left Canterbury it'll be a mission just trying to compete with his own peers than he has the rest of the teams to worry about.

10. William18

William18 Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 23 2010, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    The Crusaders have Tim Bateman who is very promising and who I'm guessing will play at 12 and also Ryan Crotty who is almost as promising playing at 13. They have plenty of options.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!